Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Premier League experience on his CV without being tied to it if it doesn’t suit him.
Life in London, incredible facilities and a chance to win the Europa League.

He’s Dutch so will know Micky VDV. The two of them are the best players in the next generation of the Dutch NT. he could go to Barca but they are a mess and not winning much next season.
Hmm he just opted to spent a year in Leipzig over Paris. Doesn't strike me as the type who'll be tempted by London if it means potentially playing second fiddle to Son.

Hmm he just opted to spent a year in Leipzig over Paris. Doesn't strike me as the type who'll be tempted by London if it means potentially playing second fiddle to Son.

Why would he play second fiddle when we have 2 competitions and cup competitions to play in.

Why not back himself to be undroppable? He’s one of the best talents in world football. The only clubs guaranteeing a starting role are small clubs and he won’t benefit from going to a small club.

Our defence gets a bad rep. But it's definitely unwarranted and over the top.

Our defensive record hasn't been great this season. But fuck me, we lost Udogie for 10 games, van de Ven for 11. We even lost Romero for 5.

I completely forget Romero went off injured in the opening game. So in fact, I've crunched th numbers more accurately and with that back five on the pitch at the same time, our record whilst they've been on the pitch stands at:

1406 minutes played together.
10 wins
7 draws (went on to win 3 of these after subs)
1 loss
17 goals conceded
10 from open play.

Which let's be honest, isn't bad when you consider we were told Porro and Udogie can't play in a back four, van de Ven and Vicario were new to the league and they're all playing completely different systems to what they're used to.
We won't concede anywhere near that next season... Imagine we could get Ederson in front of them... Totally different scenarios

Why would he play second fiddle when we have 2 competitions and cup competitions to play in.

Why not back himself to be undroppable? He’s one of the best talents in world football. The only clubs guaranteeing a starting role are small clubs and he won’t benefit from going to a small club.
Because Son is our captain and best attacker? He's not coming to Spurs to play Europa league minutes mate.

You can't include the starting back 5 for the stats you like (ie 22 conceded in 20 or whatever) and then remove those games when those stats don't suit your narrative 😂

I haven't removed any games. As I've stated, I'm judging our defence, it's set up and any goals and chances we concede on when our strongest back five is on the pitch

Not when we've got Dier and Hojberg in a high line against a team with 2 extra men.

Our depth at the back is something we've all said needs addressing. We likely win more games this season if we didn't have to rely on Davies and Emerson for 3 games (1 draw, 2 losses, 9 goals conceded) or Dier and Davies centre back pairing (1 loss, 2 conceded) or having to rely on Emerson or Skipp to play LB.

I was talking Brighton at home.

They scored a penalty?

"Facts". From the guy who says we're no more open defensively than City and Woolwich. Ok mate.

In terms of limiting chances, we're some way off them. That can also be a fact.

We won't concede anywhere near that next season... Imagine we could get Ederson in front of them... Totally different scenarios

Not only that but imagine if we could get a front line that can keep the ball and not put our defence under pressure by turning it over?

Big summer ahead and we need to make sure we get the right players in.

Not only that but imagine if we could get a front line that can keep the ball and not put our defence under pressure by turning it over?

Big summer ahead and we need to make sure we get the right players in.

Bingo - You can’t blame our defensive porousness strictly on the defenders, keeper and the high line.

The complete inability of our forwards (apart from Kulusevski on paper) to keep the ball in the final 3rd, added by Bissouma/Hojbjerg/Bentancur not being the best screener.

To use the prime Pochettino era side as the example, they also played a high line, and I would make the argument that for ability, our current back 5 stands up to what we had back then.

However That side had Kane and Eriksen who could keep the ball in the final 3rd plus Dele & Lamela who were brilliant pressers. Son was way more dynamic back then (expected).

Then you had Dembele, Wanyama and a more mobile Dier.

Understand what? You're looking at this from a Spurs fan's POV and not Xavi Simons'
I can look from a Spurs fan POv because I am one. You are assuming Simons's POV because you aren't him.

Ah, chill, two of you. Neither of you is right.

From Spurs POV, this move would suck too ! :D

If it was to happen AND they were to be used in same position, it would just mean that we would get in TEMPORARY cover for the position that is occupied by 32 yo speed-reliant attacker.
There is zero logic in such move, we'd be without both players in 1 or 2 years.

Need permanent player for that role ASAP.

Ah, chill, two of you. Neither of you is right.

From Spurs POV, this move would suck too ! :D

If it was to happen AND they were to be used in same position, it would just mean that we would get in TEMPORARY cover for the position that is occupied by 32 yo speed-reliant attacker.
There is zero logic in such move, we'd be without both players in 1 or 2 years.

Need permanent player for that role ASAP.

We are signing a WF this summer and most likely a LWF.

Simons can play LWF, 10, RWF and would get plenty of game time, especially as Son will play some games at CF and also need to rest at times, Maddison will pick up knocks.

Save the money for a big transfer at LWF and spend more on a premium CF this summer. If Simons works out then you look at a permanent deal next year.

It's no brainer material.

We are signing a WF this summer and most likely a LWF.

Simons can play LWF, 10, RWF and would get plenty of game time, especially as Son will play some games at CF and also need to rest at times, Maddison will pick up knocks.

Save the money for a big transfer at LWF and spend more on a premium CF this summer. If Simons works out then you look at a permanent deal next year.

It's no brainer material.
Why would our winger purchase be a LWF?

Son is our only top class forward, he plays on the left.

Making our big winger purchase this summer a LW makes no sense when we have Brennan and Kulu routinely stinking out the place on the right.

Make the big purchase a RW, get back up for Son on the left.

No brainer.

Making our big winger purchase this summer a LW makes no sense when we have Brennan and Kulu routinely stinking out the place on the right.

No brainer.

It’s going to be a LWF for sure.

We want Solomon and Gil gone. We won’t sign Werner so that leaves us 1 spot free on the left and we need a different profile with someone that can dribble 1v1 and keep the ball.

The fact that you haven’t worked that out just shows how tinted your logic is by your own opinions.

Unless you really think we are selling one of Johnson or Kulusevski on top of the other 15 we need to shift

No brainer.
CF and RW for sure. Son needs to be played on the left. As needed, he can pinch hit at CF, but it's clear his position is left wing.

Back
Top Bottom