Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

BREAKING NEWS! Yet another imaginary transfer rumour :cool:

Tottenham back away from signing ‘dream’ midfielder after learning Chelsea are paying £19m for him​

Brogan Clasper
Wed 26 June 2024 11:15, UK
Tottenham Hotspur were forced out of the race to sign an exciting young midfielder this summer after Chelsea became involved.
Midfield is an area where Ange Postecoglou is looking to add to at Tottenham with the likes of Conor Gallagher having been strongly linked.

TBR Football understands that Aston Villa’s Omari Kellyman was of interest to Tottenham Hotspur, Brighton & Hove Albion and West Ham United.

Chelsea now look set to conclude a deal for the 18-year-old this summer with the midfielder having undergone his medical at Stamford Bridge.

Kellyman doesn't get into any England youth teams ahead of Jamie Donley which the real reason why Spurs won't bid for him.

And only reason for Chelsea's bid is its part of a Villa/Chelsea 'scheme' to make both their club's ffp issues a lot smaller or go away by each buying each others youths at high prices allowing £m profits to be booked by the both and reduce their ffp issues

What about home grown quota
If a striker comes in, I'm expecting Richarlison to leave.

Reason is that we can only have a 23 man squad (certainly in uefa) which means 3 GK's and 2 for each other spot.I th

ATM we have for next season Werner/Solomon, on left Richarlison/Son as CF and Johnson/Kulusevki on right.

Given Solomon injury record and he's not a top class player, it would be good if we can upgrade him with a top player who can play on left (Eze would be my choice). So in terms of numbers in the squad, a new striker coming in means Richarlison moving on.

NB. Agewise, Son's days as a top class left winger have gone/are waning as with number of games next season, he couldn't make the runs he used to so no point in suggesting we put him as a left winger, whereas his superb finishing means that a striker role (sometimes covering LW) is likely to be the better position for him : not ideal but we are where we are.

But with thise changes, there would still be a role for a 3rd striker - depending upon who Ange wants it could be the more experienced 22 year old Parrott (can play striker and off left, possibly the least upside of the options ?), 20 year old Scarlett or 19 year old Lankshear - I think Veliz will need to be loaned out as he would need to be registered in the uefa squad which means he would be the new incoming striker !
and what about meeting the home grown quota?

If we are really interested in Jonathan David at 25m then it's because we are spending bigger elsewhere IMO.
Quite possibly. Based off Ali Gold's last video, it also sounds like the scenario where Richarlison stays and we're bringing in 'competition' (the counter one being if Richarlison were to be sold to Saudi or somewhere similar and noises suddenly start coming out about us signing a higher profile striker).

To be fair, I'm thinking back to the Bergvall transfer, and I feel like that one seemed to come out of nowhere (though I might be wrong).

I.e. we were suddenly in for him, then Barca came in, but he opted for us. All very quick. In retrospect there was a lot of legwork Lange and others put in but the media didn't seem to have a clue.

The one that stands out is when Villa signed Ings from Southampton. Out of the blue, zero talk in the media beforehand, just got it done behind the scenes and confirmed it all

Lots of discussion about forwards to buy - worth reminding ourselves of the players with most goal involvements in PL last season :

Son - 17 g, 10a (total 27 Goal Involvements)
Richarlison - 11g, 4 a (15 GI)
Johnson - 5 g, 10a (15 GI)
Maddison - 4g, 9 a (13 GI)
Kulusevski - 8 g, 4 a (12 GI)
Porro - 3g, 7a (10 GI)
Sarr - 3 g, 3 a (6 GI)
Werner - 2g, 3 a ( 5 GI)
Udogie - 2 g 3 a (5 GI)
Romero - 5 g, 0 a (5 GI)

Most of Son's GI came when he was playing as centre forward (probably less than 5 GI when playing LW), which is why it makes sense to try to upgrade the LW position with the best player we can get so as to increase GI from the left if we can do this window - in effect upgrading on Solomon, Gil and Perisic who were our options last season, whilst keeping the experienced Werner.

Equally Richarlison's injury/unavailability record has substantially reduced his goal scoring, so if he's sold for a reasonable fee we could upgrade. If he's not sold he'd stay and Ange needs to try to manage his injuries and availability.

I’m hiding behind nationality but you are upset that Australians are getting a leg up?

Read your post before you send it mate.

These guys are coming in to be ACs, what level of coach are you expecting?

Stellini was Conte’s main AC and he’d been a disaster at lower level Italian clubs as HC. Then won everything as Conte’s AC. This new guy has a better HC resume than Stellini but Stellini was fine for everyone in here because Conte is a proven winner and wanted to bring him. The rest of Conte’s staff was pretty much jobs for the boys from his family.
You kind of answer your own question. Conte wasn't question not because he is an Italian, exactly as I'm not critical of Ange regarding his nationality. That arises as a result of the way the article frames Ange's stated desire to 'give a leg-up' to his Aussie brethren. Go look at it.

As for the licence given Antonio Conte that was based in hard fact. He had won the title in England in the EPL ditto Jose. That's how it works Rich and that's EXACTLY how it should work. Although a retrospective will show I did raise an eyebrow at the long list of 'analysts'and sundry other parasites Conte wanted on the pay roll. There was a meme from Good fellas to this effect that was posted.

thats obviously how it looks but i hope youre wrong. this FFP shit has to catch up with the likes of chelsea eventually. everton should be fuming harder than anyone.

What have Chelsea actually DONE this window though?

A bunch of BS transfers to try and get back in line with FFP.

They don't have CL next season either so if they are making an effort to get round it this summer, do they really want to get into a perpetual cycle by spunking 100m in Isak? They didn't want to do it for Olise at 50m? Or Williams at 50m?

They are bluffing big time by the looks.

Let’s see who Chelsea actually sign before we all queue up to suck them off

Once Chelsea figure out how to get away with Cheating (again) it'll be like the wild west in the PL. Clubs like Newcastle, City, Vila and others will start doing what they like. Teams like Everton and Forest have owners with money but no income to validate spending.

Then there's us. 43% wage to income ratio. Strict adherence to FFP. Spend what you earn, at most.

Challenging for titles mate. FFP titles. Best financially run club titles. Winning at painfully slow organic growth titles. Best multipurpose entertainment arena that also hosts football titles.

Apparently Palace looking at Nusa and Jobe Bellingham.
Having signed up Wharton and already managed to find, sign and advance Eze and Olise, you have to think they're probably doing something right there.

That said, I haven't seen a minute of Nusa or Bellingham play so they could also be about to waste a lot of money.
If they sell Olise and Eze though, they'll have a lot of money to use and they seem to like younger players with promise but also evidence they can perform too.

Once Chelsea figure out how to get away with Cheating (again) it'll be like the wild west in the PL. Clubs like Newcastle, City, Vila and others will start doing what they like. Teams like Everton and Forest have owners with money but no income to validate spending.

Then there's us. 43% wage to income ratio. Strict adherence to FFP. Spend what you earn, at most.

Challenging for titles mate. FFP titles. Best financially run club titles. Winning at painfully slow organic growth titles. Best multipurpose entertainment arena that also hosts football titles.
Tbf they’ve spent aggressively the last 2 years and it’s got them nowhere

Back
Top Bottom