Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Argue away.

I feel we desperately need a high quality striker.

If we fail to get one, it will leave us massively short.

Ricky’s biggest weakness is he can’t create for himself. And in Ange’s system he shouldn’t have to. His job is to get on the end of service and lead the press. He’s show he’s capable doing both.

But I think our service and creativity was poor for most of the season. Felt like Maddison had a poor season by his standards. Son was hot and cold on the LW. Kulu seemed lost. Sarr currently offers little. Johnson probably was the best at getting the low crosses into the box. He had 3 assists just for Richy in the short time they played together.

We need to upgrade on Sarr and find another winger who can naturally get to the end lime and get the ball into the box.

The service needs to be better next season for whoever the striker is.

Beside striker the two 8s/10s are supposed to contribute with goals finding room in the half spaces. Maddison and Sarr only contributed a combined 7 goals. That needs to be be at least doubled.

Email sent to his majesty Daniel Levy. His secretary told me last time that he 'reads and considers' my suggestions... this time let's hope he actually listens to them.

Screenshot:

445976419-475643614865972-4697270098487741105-n.jpg
Skywalk trips !?

:levywhoa:

Here are all the 1st team and selected academy players contract expiry dates:

AUSTIN2024BENTANCUR2026
WERNER2024BISSOUMA2026
Ashcroft, Tyrell2024?GIL2026
Heaps, Billy2024?ROYAL2026
Keeley, Josh2024?
Kyerematen, Rio2024?RICHARLISON2027
Maguire, Aaron2024?ROMERO2027
Sayers, Charlie2024?SKIPP2027
SPENCE2027
DAVIES2025Devine, Alfie2027
FORSTER2025Donley, Jamie2027
HOJBJERG2025Scarlett, Dane2027
LO CELSO2025Abbott, George2027
NDOMBELE Tanguy2025
REGUILON Sergio2025KULUSEVSKI2028
RODON Joe2025MADDISON2028
SESSEGNON Ryan2025PORRO2028
SON Heung-min2025SOLOMON2028
TANGANGA2025PHILLIPS2028
WHITEMAN2025VICARIO2028
Parrott2025?
Moore2025
BERGVALL2029
JOHNSON2029
VDV2029
VELIZ2029
Hall, Tyrese Shaun2029
DRAGUSIN2030
SARR2030
UDOGIE2030
VUSKOVIC2030

Last edited:
The Fernandes chance was onside from my recollection. We also got very lucky with a Romero handball not given.

Simply not true, plenty of games we had problems defensively even with that back five. Already mentioned Woolwich, Liverpool. Burnley away they conceded two. United home. The Chelsea shitshow - the fact two of them reds is irrelevant, it still contributed to the loss.

Then Brentford at home we conceded two and looked awful at times. The mighty Everton - two more conceded, lucky not to lose. Then Brighton, Luton, West Ham, Forest - we got some results here, but the consensus was we looked poor for long stretches, and defensively open. Newcastle, horrible, and that was it for the season.

OK you've completely lost me now, think we'll just have to agree to disagree. Woolwich this season had one of the meanest defences in Prem history, no rational analysis would put us anywhere close to a par with them defensively right now. Nor City.

And yes some of that is to do with pressing from the front, better ball retention, and better cover in front of the CBs. But some of that is simply due to structure - they and City set up in a 3-2-5 which leaves them structurally much more solid on the counter, it's no wonder our xG conceded is considerably higher than both.
Think Casemiro missed a sitter in the first half in the home game.

Maybe a cheeky bid for James McAtee as a Lo Celso replacement.

Or give his minutes to Devine or Donley.
I’d rather see Alfie of donley be given more minutes than us spending money on a youngster from abroad. We need the money to buy proven quality. Keep saying this but we can’t just keep buying young “potential” talent from abroad and stick piling them! That is what the academy is for who will have been coached in the way we play and also use to English conditions. Of course if there is some exceptional talent that we can go for but no more points. Veliz is classic example we buy a young kid from Argentine yet wouldn’t buy Wharton or Scott. I know diff positions. Anyways back to main pint we need to spend big bucks on real quality that goes straight into the first team and thus bench some of the average players.

I'm really torn on him.

I was looking at his performances in CL semifinals and I was really impressed. What a pace, what a stamina! And he is still relatively young.

BUT! At this point in time we do need someone who would be providing high number of goals and assists. His numbers for this season were rather modest - 5 goals and 2 assists. Season before that also 9+6. So for 2 full seasons in Dortmund just 14+8 - it is not very encouraging. He used to score for fun in Austria but... I mean... Austria :D .

Ricky’s biggest weakness is he can’t create for himself. And in Ange’s system he shouldn’t have to. His job is to get on the end of service and lead the press. He’s show he’s capable doing both.

But I think our service and creativity was poor for most of the season. Felt like Maddison had a poor season by his standards. Son was hot and cold on the LW. Kulu seemed lost. Sarr currently offers little. Johnson probably was the best at getting the low crosses into the box. He had 3 assists just for Richy in the short time they played together.

We need to upgrade on Sarr and find another winger who can naturally get to the end lime and get the ball into the box.

The service needs to be better next season for whoever the striker is.

Beside striker the two 8s/10s are supposed to contribute with goals finding room in the half spaces. Maddison and Sarr only contributed a combined 7 goals. That needs to be be at least doubled.

Richies 2nd problem is that while he has some power to keep the ball, his touch is just plain poor.
And even if our strikers do not need to create for themselves, it was blatantly obvious that in this system in EPL we need to be able to keep the ball upfield better.

Furthermore, as said many times, even if we leave that factor aside, we STILL desperately need a ST because Richie will be injured part of the season and with EPL + EL + domestic cups, there is 0 chance that Richie will play all the games up top on his own.

Sure, service should get better and we should increase goal contributions from wings so defense can't just pack the middle-areas, but we also need another ST. It is number 1 target in the window regardless if Richie stays or goes.

It was just a year ago people were aiming for attacking football and top half finish.

Can’t expect anyone to turn it around in only 1 season.

Ange laid a good foundation in his first season. Our back 5 look set but we need more quality in the midfield and attack.

I don't think anyone would have seriously been targeting top half as a decent campaign. Even after losing Kane, just because a Paul Merson might say some nonsense like that. European football, preferably not conference was our realistic aim which we achieved as par for course.

Ange didn't exceed any expectations really. He did well with VdV, otherwise the verdict is still out on our other signings under him. Overall we were no better off under Ange than we were Conte in terms of results. Just a 10 game honeymoon period papered over the relatively poor 28 games that followed, with the exception of Villa away.

I’d rather see Alfie of donley be given more minutes than us spending money on a youngster from abroad. We need the money to buy proven quality. Keep saying this but we can’t just keep buying young “potential” talent from abroad and stick piling them! That is what the academy is for who will have been coached in the way we play and also use to English conditions. Of course if there is some exceptional talent that we can go for but no more points. Veliz is classic example we buy a young kid from Argentine yet wouldn’t buy Wharton or Scott. I know diff positions. Anyways back to main pint we need to spend big bucks on real quality that goes straight into the first team and thus bench some of the average players.
Yeah to be honest mate I really wanted Wharton. Scott.. I actually have a weird feeling he will be a spurs player.

But I do get your overall point we do need to spend on quality rather than packing in potential but we really don't know if Donley or devine can actually cut it at this level. Reason I said McAtee is he has great ability and already too good for championship and can cut it in prem, while being similar stylistically to lo celso.

I do agree though I would rather money went to a first team player with real pedigree and we promoted a youth player

Richies 2nd problem is that while he has some power to keep the ball, his touch is just plain poor.
And even if our strikers do not need to create for themselves, it was blatantly obvious that in this system in EPL we need to be able to keep the ball upfield better.

Furthermore, as said many times, even if we leave that factor aside, we STILL desperately need a ST because Richie will be injured part of the season and with EPL + EL + domestic cups, there is 0 chance that Richie will play all the games up top on his own.

Sure, service should get better and we should increase goal contributions from wings so defense can't just pack the middle-areas, but we also need another ST. It is number 1 target in the window regardless if Richie stays or goes.

Fair enough and some valid points but I don’t see a striker automatically fixing the areas we struggle. At least one we can afford.

Or Opening a strip club.

Lateral thinking.

Open a strip club. Married agents frequent. Bribe them for first dibs on their best strikers.

There are of course one or two numpties who think we don't need to buy a top class striker, but they are probably still looking for the Yellow Brick Road, so better to ignore them

Back
Top Bottom