Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Agree with most of your comment except these two lines.

I didn't think defensively we were particularly good, even with our first choice back five. Plenty of times Vicario had to get us out of a hole, and a lot of those hardest fixtures in the run in were without those five which massages the stats somewhat. The only games against the top teams where they all played were Woolwich, Liverpool, United x2, Chelsea and Newcastle and we conceded 13 from those 6 games.

And as I've said, just because chances come from set pieces, it doesn't mean your open play defending is necessarily good if your open play defending is what leads to those set pieces. No team will ever be able to fully prevent set pieces resulting in a goal so we can't talk like those 22 are preventable. Ultimately we concede way too many (second highest in the league if I'm not wrong) which simply has to improve if we're to reduce set piece goals, and that's a function of our open play defending.
But SU had some great chances in last game? Think regardless of who is in back except VDV then we will concede chances. Even with VDV we do and he puts a lot of fires out as well.

Inconsistent due to the fact that Dortmund have pretty much played him out of position since they've signed him.

Ridiculously quick though. Lightning quick. But not the player for us really. I'd honestly rather sign Timo Werner.
he must be shit then

I think this is what Ange fundamentally means when he gets across that there are more important things than simply coaching set pieces.

If we get better at doing the things that matter such as pressing, retaining possession better etc then we simply limit the amount of set pieces we concede in the first place.

There's method to the madness, even if some people can't grasp that way of thinking. Once we've got that area nailed down through repititon and better recruitment, having designated set piece coaching sessions can be more of a priority.

Ange’s problems recently have been communication. He made it sounds like:

1 we don’t give a shit about set pieces.

2 Don’t give a shit about rivalry with Arse (which he apologised for to be fair).

Last few games we looked a lot better at set pieces so clearly work must have happened. He needs to understand and clearly it seems he is starting to that when he talks to journalists he is also talking to fans and the prem is a different beast to the leagues he has managed in before.

He can focus on the main goals without making it seem like he doesn’t give a shit about set pieces or rivalries.

Email sent to his majesty Daniel Levy. His secretary told me last time that he 'reads and considers' my suggestions... this time let's hope he actually listens to them.

Screenshot:

445976419-475643614865972-4697270098487741105-n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom