Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I’m afraid you’re the one talking bollocks! 😂

I spent a large proportion of my working life as a Capital Projects Accountant in construction and engineering.

It’s perfectly normal practice for a CEO or investor to sign off on the fittings as they are the tangible items you see everyday.

Using the stadium build as a stick to beat Levy with is a tad rich! 😂
Not my industry but sure as fuck wouldn’t be on the top 100 things to do for my CEO

We didn’t sign a single player during that period ffs. Stadium is great but was badly managed - in hindsight I’m sure Lecy regrets not putting in football execs much sooner to free him up. I strongly think we didn’t sign players as we were skint, but because he was too busy so it ground to a halt

Sadly left Poch in charge of player identification to buy from about 2016 until Poch left - hence our best buys were probably Davidson Sanchez and Luca Modric.

Much improved player recruitment after hiring Paratici
100% but Levy was involved in deals and agent work much more so than now -

Good - I'll let you dig back 10 years or so.

I have and not seen anything, strange.

I dunno why you've reacted in such a way tbh it was a simple request for some proof of what you were saying as it's my understanding that Hitchen oversaw what little of a transfer department we had during the years after Mitchell leaving and before Paratichi came in.

100% but Levy was involved in deals and agent work much more so than now -

Levy up to his neck in stadium, Poch played hard ball in2016 (suggested he might not stay after 12 months or so at Spurs) so Levy allowed him major role in transfers at that point.

Levy probably stepped back to checking new player financials were something Spurs could live with, although probably agents wanted to talk to him as he was seen as main man..

Selective amnesia

June 4th 2022.... However, Bastoni himself does not want to leave Inter, which is so far proving the major stumbling block in a transfer.

You keep deflecting. I'll keep providing facts

Jim Carrey Deal With It GIF

Not just the defending, he takes touches rather than passing it quickly

Yep. Trent's best when he 1) is facing the play & 2) has space to play those balls over the top. It's why when Klopp inverted him it was often into CB so Trent could act like a quarterback without being pressured.

Why there's this desire to shove him in midfield where he'll have LESS time on the ball and will have to play with his back to goal is beyond me.

June 4th 2022.... However, Bastoni himself does not want to leave Inter, which is so far proving the major stumbling block in a transfer.

Covered that in my original post.

Happened after we didn’t want to pay 70m

Selective amnesia

Yep. Trent's best when he 1) is facing the play & 2) has space to play those balls over the top. It's why when Klopp inverted him it was often into CB so Trent could act like a quarterback without being pressured.

Why there's this desire to shove him in midfield where he'll have LESS time on the ball and will have to play with his back to goal is beyond me.
Agree. Maybe they will find spaces in possession and he drifts wide whereas defensively Walker plays right back.

I have and not seen anything, strange.

I dunno why you've reacted in such a way tbh it was a simple request for some proof of what you were saying as it's my understanding that Hitchen oversaw what little of a transfer department we had during the years after Mitchell leaving and before Paratichi came in.

In the past when people do not like a view I've spent hours digging round to find old articles, and resolved several years ago to let other people spend time digging. Given you spent about 5 mins a very cursory search

Hitchen was never a DoF and had limited actual decision making in transfers.

Levy up to his neck in stadium, Poch played hard ball in2016 (suggested he might not stay after 12 months or so at Spurs) so Levy allowed him major role in transfers at that point.

Levy probably stepped back to checking new player financials were something Spurs could live with, although probably agents wanted to talk to him as he was seen as main man..
He was involved but 2016 was the summer we wanted Mane, Zaha and Wijnaldum. He got Sissoko and if you read his book from that season its pretty clear he was underwhelmed about that but it was a last minute body in the squad. Its like saying Redknapp wanted Zaha and Neilson when he actually wanted Gary Cahill and Tevez. Managers can accept what they're given or not bother. We've had this conversation before but the crap transfers continued in 2020 because that oaf Hitchen had been over promoted.

Ederson, Eze, ...etc. That's what we want. No more 15 million pound punts, no more the next Lionel Messi. Once in a while is Ok but we need proven players

Let it sink in. "Man United in their worst season in over 20 years have still achieved more than our best season in the same Time frame".
Maybe more to do with a genuine winner as a manager and not a winner at pub level. Who knows.

He was involved but 2016 was the summer we wanted Mane, Zaha and Wijnaldum. He got Sissoko and if you read his book from that season its pretty clear he was underwhelmed about that but it was a last minute body in the squad. Its like saying Redknapp wanted Zaha and Neilson when he actually wanted Gary Cahill and Tevez. Managers can accept what they're given or not bother. We've had this conversation before but the crap transfers continued in 2020 because that oaf Hitchen had been over promoted.

One of many fans misunderstandings of transfer windows is that players have 'agency' in other words they can choose to go to a club or not - and its not necessarily always about money either. BTW, that's not aimed at you, just a general comment.

As an example - the 'famous' 'no signings' 2018 window. Spurs tried to sign Frenkie de Jong that summer but he didn't want to join Spurs for his own reasons despite the money being available. Frenkie de Jong admits he nearly joined Tottenham before Barcelona move

That’s a distinction without a difference. The stadium helps our football teams. The events turn a profit which help our football team. The development of land turns a profit that helps our football team. These are small operations next to the football club but each contributes a small amount that we can use to become better.

if the owners are self-interested then they would want the football team to do well. That is in their financial interest. And if they were greedy then they would take money out of the club. In fact they’ve done the opposite - they’ve put money into the club.

Facts.
What fucking money have they put in?! They bought the club for around 30M and that was via a murky share dilution scheme and are sitting on 4BN.

Back
Top Bottom