Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As per local paper, offer of £25m made on day after Villa's last game of the season (and well before window opened so no chance to complete the transfer before registration could be made) accepted by Villa old owner but new owners moved very quickly and stopped bid in its tracks and completed their purchase of Villa in record time

Grealish was ready to come if new owners allowed him too, but they saw him as the way back to PL so stopped deal in its tracks. Good gamble which paid off for them.

Fair enough, however Bruce quoted in the article says "It's fair to say we were in such a bad position financially that if Tottenham had have done their work early, then I’m sure he would have been a Tottenham player,"

we didn't and so he wasn't...

The sequence of events went:

Conte wants Bastoni

Inter owners in trouble and could use a sale.

Bastoni excited by the idea of the premier league and reuniting with Conte who launched his career pretty much.

Inter want 70m for the future of the Italian NT and potential Inter captain.

Spurs don't want to pay 70m

Bastoni's agent meets with Inter and Bastoni is a boyhood Inter fan who doesn't want to leave. Never wanted to anyway.

Lenglet on loan.

The reported sequence of events only a handful of people really know what happened/ happens in transfer scouting and acquisitions

Fair enough, however Bruce quoted in the article says "It's fair to say we were in such a bad position financially that if Tottenham had have done their work early, then I’m sure he would have been a Tottenham player,"

we didn't and so he wasn't...

I suspect Bruce was not involved in sale of club nor has any real knowledge of how the sake of a club works so simply got that bit wrong .......... a standard condition of an offer to purchase of a club before completing is 'no sale of assets whilst deal is being completed'

So the old owner would have probably lost the sale of Villa to sell Grealish ....... and he needed to sell the club so couldn't sell Grealish !

au contraire - the ease at which you were able to pluck that story out makes me wonder why you aren't so forth coming with something regarding what was originally being discussed;)

2019 is more recent and Birmingham press had a lot of similar articles so very easy to find

10 years or so back and ploughing through countless articles from all kinds of sources = . huge amount of time to search to find info,

Guys, come on...if youse gonna talk about old transfers that never were, go for the ultimate classic that is Leandro Damiao.

10 quid (+ Josh Onomah) he gets linked again this summer.

That’s media narrative.

I doubt any big club is promising starting spots.

There are a very limited number of players in the world that get that type of guarantee
When it comes to "established" players playing time is something that's always discussed during contract talks.
It doesn't mean they will be starting no matter how they perform, of course, but they will be given hints about how the head-coach the concerting player's playing time

Last edited:
Not my industry but sure as fuck wouldn’t be on the top 100 things to do for my CEO

We didn’t sign a single player during that period ffs. Stadium is great but was badly managed - in hindsight I’m sure Lecy regrets not putting in football execs much sooner to free him up. I strongly think we didn’t sign players as we were skint, but because he was too busy so it ground to a halt
Yeah of course you’re right.

The cost of building a billion pound stadium had nothing to do with the lack of expenditure on transfers.

It was because Levy was too busy picking out the light fittings!

Honestly?! Some of the tosh that is written on here is just plain comical at times! 🙈😂

Guys, come on...if youse gonna talk about old transfers that never were, go for the ultimate classic that is Leandro Damiao.

10 quid (+ Josh Onomah) he gets linked again this summer.
Tottenham to sign 34 year old Brazil Série B striker with 7 games, 1 goal, 1 assist last year. Spurs are willing to include the Josh Onomah, the Preston North End player as part of the deal. Onomah to fly to Curitiba to compete in a samba competition prior to completion of a 🇧🇷 record transfer. Damiao was scheduled to arrive in London but could not find his passport or Ryan Air ticket. The deal is part of Daniel Levy’s new pay as you play and pay your own way club philosophy. Spurs Lion. ITK Tier 1.

Tottenham to sign 34 year old Brazil Série B striker with 7 games, 1 goal, 1 assist last year. Spurs are willing to include the Josh Onomah, the Preston North End player as part of the deal. Onomah to fly to Curitiba to compete in a samba competition prior to completion of a 🇧🇷 record transfer. Damiao was scheduled to arrive in London but could not find his passport or Ryan Air ticket. The deal is part of Daniel Levy’s new pay as you play and pay your own way club philosophy. Spurs Lion. ITK Tier 1.
Sounds promising but I'll wait for my #HereWeGo from the fat Italian bastard.

Does the hotel make any difference to our capacity to run a good football team? The amount of institutional manpower it uses is negligible; it’s done through contractors and professional services.
So the highest paid CEO in the premier league is not distracted by non football business , seems to me it is in fact his priority.

Before you say it “ it is his job to maximise revenue blah blah blah “ Many of us think it his job to deliver trophies after 24 years as a trainee, that is where we differ

So the highest paid CEO in the premier league is not distracted by non football business , seems to me it is in fact his priority.

Before you say it “ it is his job to maximise revenue blah blah blah “ Many of us think it his job to deliver trophies after 24 years as a trainee, that is where we differ
So just be clear for those of us who struggle… should Levy step away from the football side or involve himself deeply?

I’m getting whiplash here.

Back
Top Bottom