Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yep. Trent's best when he 1) is facing the play & 2) has space to play those balls over the top. It's why when Klopp inverted him it was often into CB so Trent could act like a quarterback without being pressured.

Why there's this desire to shove him in midfield where he'll have LESS time on the ball and will have to play with his back to goal is beyond me.
Think tonight’s game showed his not up to it. Jude played much more like midfielder than Trent, tackled more, got into the box, covered more ground, etc. Trent when is played to him when facing our own goal he doesn’t have the tenacity to keep the ball. He can only when there is space for him and space behind the oppo defence. If you gonna play someone with some passing ability there may as well played MADDs. Tbh Jude could play that role and then some. Put eze in with them and that would be a great midfield.

do it jewish GIF

Mate, I shared the reporting of that in here many times.

people have selective amnesia because they don't want to admit they support a club who hired a coach known for winning things with a 3 CB system and when that coach asked for an expensive CB to win things, the club gave him Lenglet on loan and went to work on the PR damage control.
Got to be honest, I was really interested in Bastoni (hadn't heard of him previously) so was paying attention to that potential transfer and I don't recall him ever giving us a positive sign. Felt like a media-whipped story and hope more than anything concrete. But I'd like to know he actually was keen.

I asked AI and it said this:

There is no definitive proof that Alessandro Bastoni explicitly wanted to leave Inter Milan to play for Tottenham Hotspur during Antonio Conte's tenure at Spurs. While there were several reports suggesting that Tottenham had a strong interest in Bastoni and that Conte wanted to reunite with him, Bastoni himself appeared reluctant to leave Inter Milan.

Bastoni's agent consistently emphasized that Bastoni was happy at Inter and intended to stay, despite the ongoing rumors and Spurs' interest. This stance was reiterated during various points when transfer rumors intensified (Spurs Web) (Express.co.uk). Reports also highlighted that while Bastoni admired Conte and had worked well under him at Inter, this was not enough to convince him to leave for Spurs at that time (Spurs Web) (Spurs Web).

Moreover, Inter Milan's financial situation and their need to raise funds led to speculation that they might sell key players, including Bastoni. However, Bastoni's preference was to remain at the club, and his agent confirmed this sentiment, stating that he was committed to Inter Milan (Spurs Web) (Spurs Web).

In conclusion, while there was interest from Spurs and a desire from Conte to bring Bastoni to North London, Bastoni's own reluctance to leave Inter Milan remained a significant factor in him staying at the club.

Mate, I shared the reporting of that in here many times.

people have selective amnesia because they don't want to admit they support a club who hired a coach known for winning things with a 3 CB system and when that coach asked for an expensive CB to win things, the club gave him Lenglet on loan and went to work on the PR damage control.

So the reporting of the thing that confirms your bias is 100% true and reporting of thing that doesn't is made up.

We really should be after Simons. Have to try
I don't understand why PSG would look to loan him out again, he got 8 goals and 13 assists in Bundesliga last season, they hardly pulled up trees again in the CL, surely they'd want to give him a chance? If they look to loan him again would not surprise me if the player refuses to move again unless it's on a permanent deal. He's 21 and put up very good numbers in his debut season in a new league, going on loan again seems like a pointless exercise, what more can he show them from a development loan? If there's talk of a permanent deal for him this summer I would defo want us to be in for him but unfortunately I think the likes of Bayern, Real, possibly even Woolwich/Chelsea/Pool/City would all be extremely keen also. He will be legitimately world class one day, amazed PSG would risk losing him.

Maybe, I dunno, right back? Where one of the best managers of this generation plays him and where Trent's played his whole career?

Shoehorning him into midfield at the last minute is desperate. Like Keane and Rooney say, he doesn't have the defending ability for midfield, Rice will be overworked.

We shouldn't need Walker against Serbia. This manager is fucking clueless.
I'd pat myself on the back if this wasn't so fucking obvious. Hopefully that's the Trent midfield experiment over at least.

Shoehorning Foden into left wing was also a disaster. No width at all, we created nothing down our left whatsoever, which wasn't helped by pairing him with Trippier who would never overlap. Neither of which helped Trent as he had nobody making runs for him to hit with the long ball.

Fuck Southgate. Fuck that guy. Another wasted golden generation.

Think tonight’s game showed his not up to it. Jude played much more like midfielder than Trent, tackled more, got into the box, covered more ground, etc. Trent when is played to him when facing our own goal he doesn’t have the tenacity to keep the ball. He can only when there is space for him and space behind the oppo defence. If you gonna play someone with some passing ability there may as well played MADDs. Tbh Jude could play that role and then some. Put eze in with them and that would be a great midfield.
Eze could be the next breakout star of the league. Hopefully he comes to Spurs for the new season. If he is our only signing of the summer we will have a better starting side than last season. Brennan Johnson will have a full pre season with us and should improve, and if we could grab a decent striker it could be a really good season.

So the reporting of the thing that confirms your bias is 100% true and reporting of thing that doesn't is made up.
Obviously

End of the day, it was a signing that we publicly wanted but didn’t get done. Why wild the link even come out if we hadn’t sussed out his interest via his agent first.

Deep down, most of us know that Conte wanted toys the club wasn’t willing to buy.

Yeah of course you’re right.

The cost of building a billion pound stadium had nothing to do with the lack of expenditure on transfers.

It was because Levy was too busy picking out the light fittings!

Honestly?! Some of the tosh that is written on here is just plain comical at times! 🙈😂
We were bidding for players at that time, so money was there - we just didn’t get them signed which suggests you are wrong

Did they? Lewis created a 150M option but unlikely it was drawn down. For reference, Abramovic put that in every year - for 20’years

Agree on the standing and their infra investments have been superb and massively helped. Commercially acute
Så you wanted an owner like Abramovic?

Back
Top Bottom