Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

One of many fans misunderstandings of transfer windows is that players have 'agency' in other words they can choose to go to a club or not - and its not necessarily always about money either. BTW, that's not aimed at you, just a general comment.

As an example - the 'famous' 'no signings' 2018 window. Spurs tried to sign Frenkie de Jong that summer but he didn't want to join Spurs for his own reasons despite the money being available. Frenkie de Jong admits he nearly joined Tottenham before Barcelona move
We also wanted Jack Grealish in 2018 who did want to come but we played silly buggers and messed it up.

My point was though its difficult to hammer the managers from those times, whether Poch, Redknapp even AVB because they rarely got what they wanted and had to make do and mend.

View: https://x.com/thespurswatch/status/1802371526701756834?s=46&t=fbqxNuG9CT4qTaiJx8mBjg

Closely watching > watching

Fwiw I think we are really trying to get the deal done. Fits the Bergvall and Vuskovic tactics perfectly. All 3 signed now can be HG and CT. We couldn’t sign any of them 2 years later

If he is good as what the Leeds supporter I know says then get him. As long as it’s not at the expensive of buying some proper quality first team players we should be getting.

What fucking money have they put in?! They bought the club for around 30M and that was via a murky share dilution scheme and are sitting on 4BN.
They put in 150m a couple of years ago to help with spending on the squad.

The rise in the value of the club is partly a rise in the value of football and the premier league in particular, but it’s also a result of Tottenham’s increased standing in the game since 2000.

They put in 150m a couple of years ago to help with spending on the squad.

The rise in the value of the club is partly a rise in the value of football and the premier league in particular, but it’s also a result of Tottenham’s increased standing in the game since 2000.
Did they? Lewis created a 150M option but unlikely it was drawn down. For reference, Abramovic put that in every year - for 20’years

Agree on the standing and their infra investments have been superb and massively helped. Commercially acute

Getting Gray is likely to depend on Rodon wanting to go back to Leeds and Leeds wanting him. If both the above come to fruition then getting Gray might/should be more likely. Not seen a lot of him, but there seems to be a lot of hype and he covers a few positions. Not a priority, but probably a good investment.

Hoping we are actively busy behind the scenes and expect/hope signings to be slightly out of the blue like some of our more recent ones, the days of Harry Redknapp leaks seem to be gone, apart from Hercules and Wlb making stuff up on the other side.

Still hoping for a wide dribbling winger, a striker and a number 6.

We also wanted Jack Grealish in 2018 who did want to come but we played silly buggers and messed it up.

My point was though its difficult to hammer the managers from those times, whether Poch, Redknapp even AVB because they rarely got what they wanted and had to make do and mend.

Curiously the Birmingham press who covered that potential deal in a lot of detail said that the old Villa owner had accepted Spurs offer, player happy to come but incoming new owner stopped the deal in its tracks, did his DD very fast and completed his purchase of Villa in record time.

The new owner thought Villa's best chance to get promotion out of Championship was to turn down Spurs £30m or so offer and gamble on promotion with its circa £100m reward.

New owner gambled right and Villa got promotion so got his £10m or so benefit from playing in PL rather than Championship .... and then got an added bonus of selling Grealish 2 seasons later to oil money City.

So not a lot Spurs could do different - other clubs also have agency.

They wanted 70m according to the reports at the time just before his agent went to meet Inter and the whole thing was off.

This boyhood Inter fan and never wanted to leave thing was just about PR with Inter fans. Also helped Spurs fans make excuses for why another priority target for a manager wasn't signed. Copium.

well the article you posted above said 54 so which is it? But within the article it was also reporting off another source which didn't have any quotes. So i'm not sure you even bothered to read it. Just found a headline that fit your narrative i suppose.

what does he need PR for? He literally committed to the club as soon as the window open.

for a guy claiming others have amnesia, you sure can't seem to remember any of the facts...

Getting Gray is likely to depend on Rodon wanting to go back to Leeds and Leeds wanting him. If both the above come to fruition then getting Gray might/should be more likely. Not seen a lot of him, but there seems to be a lot of hype and he covers a few positions. Not a priority, but probably a good investment.

Hoping we are actively busy behind the scenes and expect/hope signings to be slightly out of the blue like some of our more recent ones, the days of Harry Redknapp leaks seem to be gone, apart from Hercules and Wlb making stuff up on the other side.

Still hoping for a wide dribbling winger, a striker and a number 6.
They will 100% want rodon

Did they? Lewis created a 150M option but unlikely it was drawn down. For reference, Abramovic put that in every year - for 20’years

Agree on the standing and their infra investments have been superb and massively helped. Commercially acute
Abramovich LOANED the club money. Lucky cunts got away with it after Russian sanctions

Curiously the Birmingham press who covered that potential deal in a lot of detail said that the old Villa owner had accepted Spurs offer, player happy to come but incoming new owner stopped the deal in its tracks, did his DD very fast and completed his purchase of Villa in record time.

The new owner thought Villa's best chance to get promotion out of Championship was to turn down Spurs £30m or so offer and gamble on promotion with its circa £100m reward.

New owner gambled right and Villa got promotion so got his £10m or so benefit from playing in PL rather than Championship .... and then got an added bonus of selling Grealish 2 seasons later to oil money City.

So not a lot Spurs could do different - other clubs also have agency.

We messed about with low-ball offers like 5m + Onomah when 20m would have likely seen the deal wrapped up before the new owners would have had an opportunity to veto the deal, possibly. Maybe we didn't have the means to offer that sort of transfer fee at the time, our lack of activity around then would suggest so.

well the article you posted above said 54 so which is it? But within the article it was also reporting off another source which didn't have any quotes. So i'm not sure you even bothered to read it. Just found a headline that fit your narrative i suppose.

what does he need PR for? He literally committed to the club as soon as the window open.

for a guy claiming others have amnesia, you sure can't seem to remember any of the facts...

I just plucked the first article but I remember how it went

In the past when people do not like a view I've spent hours digging round to find old articles, and resolved several years ago to let other people spend time digging. Given you spent about 5 mins a very cursory search

Hitchen was never a DoF and had limited actual decision making in transfers.

Like most people who discuss things on football messageboards i've been following & discussing the ins & outs of it to a minute detail for a long time - way before Pochettino & Hitchen were at the club and so no it's not just a cursory 5 minute Google it's many hours of going back & forth on the subject at the time and plenty since - it's why I'm all ears when there's a point being argued that goes against my understanding.

+We messed about with low-ball offers like 5m + Onomah when 20m would have likely seen the deal wrapped up before the new owners would have had an opportunity to veto the deal, possibly. Maybe we didn't have the means to offer that sort of transfer fee at the time, our lack of activity around then would suggest so.

As per local paper, offer of £25m made on day after Villa's last game of the season (and well before window opened so no chance to complete the transfer before registration could be made) accepted by Villa old owner but new owners moved very quickly and stopped bid in its tracks and completed their purchase of Villa in record time

Grealish was ready to come if new owners allowed him too, but they saw him as the way back to PL so stopped deal in its tracks. Good gamble which paid off for them.

Like most people who discuss things on football messageboards i've been following & discussing the ins & outs of it to a minute detail for a long time - way before Pochettino & Hitchen were at the club and so no it's not just a cursory 5 minute Google it's many hours of going back & forth on the subject at the time and plenty since - it's why I'm all ears when there's a point being argued that goes against my understanding.

Good. So now you've seen you were wrong on Grealish, maybe you should not be in such a rush to disbelieve me on other deals !

Back
Top Bottom