Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ha ha ha... ha ha ha......ha ha!

If we get a cheaper option it must be because Ange preferred it.

Oh my fuckin' days .
clapping-mike-tyson.gif

This is brilliant!😆

I would bite but it's a waste of time trying to debate with people who have the reading comprehension of a 5 year old

I'm sure others will so fill your boots :thumbup:

Based on our history under Levy I have exactly the same expectations as you mate.

Which is why I was trying to clarify it for cretinousgoat cretinousgoat

When people ask what I'd like to see when I say the owners don't want to invest to win, it's easy to get bogged down with that debate.

Examples make it easier. There are plenty of links out there that are just obviously lower budget versions of the better players in the positions/roles it looks like we need to invest.
I think our window will look something like this:

- Backup GK: nobody, unless we somehow manage to shift Frase. If we did, gotta bring in a young 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 but one who, unlike Austin, has had plenty first team expo already, even if it's in the Champo (eg SAFC's Patterson)

- RB: a Don Fabio special from Serie A, like Bellanova from Torino. Or maybe that Van de Berg from Boro or his brother from Dippers...both can play RB or CB *bonus pts *

- CB: Tarkowski...LOL inclusion for our man Shotgunofmichalebrow Shotgunofmichalebrow 🤣 Nah wouldn't be surprised if we used our special relationship with RBL to get Bitshiabu on loan...can play LCB and LB

- Eze for 60 or so mil...maybe Skipp going the other way or even Hojbjerg (Glassner is a highly-rated HC) to recoup 15 ish mil

- ST: Kolo Muani on loan from PSG...can play out wide or centrally. Or we'll reach even lower and get a Morata or Weghorst on loan or dirt cheap (except wages for the ex Chavs greasy twat)

Conte wanted him and we did all we could to get him. Which sadly included paying over the odds.
It was the going price for him imo, not over the odds.

Never good enough for us but 10-15 League goals guaranteed is what we thought we were buying and that's the going price

Didn't we already have Udogie on the books before last season's transfer window?
You’re right. Personally I’d count players when they come in rather than when they were purchased because I’m interested in what they do in a spurs shirt but if people want to count it differently, I understand that. As long as people are consistent.

I think our window will look something like this:

- Backup GK: nobody, unless we somehow manage to shift Frase. If we did, gotta bring in a young 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 but one who, unlike Austin, has had plenty first team expo already, even if it's in the Champo (eg SAFC's Patterson)

- RB: a Don Fabio special from Serie A, like Bellanova from Torino. Or maybe that Van de Berg from Boro or his brother from Dippers...both can play RB or CB *bonus pts *

- CB: Tarkowski...LOL inclusion for our man Shotgunofmichalebrow Shotgunofmichalebrow 🤣 Nah wouldn't be surprised if we used our special relationship with RBL to get Bitshiabu on loan...can play LCB and LB

- Eze for 60 or so mil...maybe Skipp going the other way or even Hojbjerg (Glassner is a highly-rated HC) to recoup 15 ish mil

- ST: Kolo Muani on loan from PSG...can play out wide or centrally. Or we'll reach even lower and get a Morata or Weghorst on loan or dirt cheap (except wages for the ex Chavs greasy twat)

I expect more than that mate.

Our model last year was:
X3 big spend : VDV, Maddison, Johnson
€40m+ each

X1 significant spend: Vicario
€20m ish

X1 freebie: Solomon
Wages

Not sure how much of that was expecting Kane money but I could see 3 bigs and a significant spend again. Werner is the freebie

It was the going price for him imo, not over the odds.
Course it was over the odds. He was worth 30 mil tops, especially the position Everton were in. We got bummed, that's it.

Never good enough for us

I'd like to know why we signed him then. Oh I got it...cause our decision-makers are friggin idiots.

60 mil on a guy who wasn't - and likely never will be - a prolific goalscorer. But yeah Brazil's No 9 blah blah blah.

After spending 60 on a guy with known attitude issues. But yeah he was mint vs City and Barca in the CL.

30 or 40 on an Argie with questionable fitness and attitude outside of NT duties. But yeah he scored 20 for Betis.

20 on club signing Djed...

Need I go on?

I expect more than that mate.

Our model last year was:
X3 big spend : VDV, Maddison, Johnson
€40m+ each

X1 significant spend: Vicario
€20m ish

X1 freebie: Solomon
Wages

Not sure how much of that was expecting Kane money but I could see 3 bigs and a significant spend again. Werner is the freebie

I think we're willing to take a straight 100 to £120 million hit not inc player sales

Course it was over the odds. He was worth 30 mil tops, especially the position Everton were in. We got bummed, that's it.

I'd like to know why we signed him then. Oh I got it...cause our decision-makers are friggin idiots.

60 mil on a guy who wasn't - and likely never will be - a prolific goalscorer. But yeah Brazil's No 9 blah blah blah.

After spending 60 on a guy with known attitude issues. But yeah he was mint vs City and Barca in the CL.

30 or 40 on an Argie with questionable fitness and attitude outside of NT duties. But yeah he scored 20 for Betis.

20 on club signing Djed...

Need I go on?

Well the decision maker in that instance was Conte. Who we know is an idiot.

The club wanted Maddison. Conte didn't want him and instead wanted us to spend the money on Richarlison instead.

Fast forward a year, Conte is gone and we sign Maddison anyway (for much cheaper too, I guess)

Thank god since then we've moved to a completely different approach with regards to our signings. Because God knows who else we'd have wasted money on. Ben Mee?

Back up?

Think you'll find he's our starting number 9.

At the time, he wasn't though.

People go on about our economic model not enabling us to afford players but also complain that Werner's wages are too high.

We spent 60m on Richarlison
We spent 55m on Johnson
We spent 45m on maddison
We spent 43m on VDV
We spent 60m on Richarlison

The idea that we are still scraping the bargain bucket solely for £20m players is laughable and a tired narrative that doesnt stack up anymore.

Sure, Liverpool also spent 80m+ on Nunez and 70m+ on Szoboszlai - neither of whom have really set the world alight, but the rest of their spending in recent years has been with a similar value to ours.

Arsneal too - built the bulk of their team on small value transfers - Oodegard, Martinelli, and Saliba all cost minute fees.

Sure they have spent more last widow but that was after the manager spent 3 years on his project.

Well the decision maker in that instance was Conte. Who we know is an idiot.
I get what you're saying my man, but I'd argue none of our managers - Jose & Conte included - have ever been decision-makers. Conte & Mourinho might have had a bit more sway cause of their CV, but still. Had they made decisions, they'd have had better squads & might have won us something. Conte wouldn't have signed Spence if he called the shots. Doubt Jose would've picked Rodon.

And I'm sorry, Conte behaved like a childish prick (except 'that' press conf where he spoke the damn truth), but he's hardly an idiot. Think you need to save that term for people that are still at the club and others who've left us (in the shit).

I get what you're saying my man, but I'd argue none of our managers - Jose & Conte included - have ever been decision-makers. Conte & Mourinho might have had a bit more sway cause of their CV, but still. Had they made decisions, they'd have had better squads & might have won us something. Conte wouldn't have signed Spence if he called the shots. Doubt Jose would've picked Rodon.

And I'm sorry, Conte behaved like a childish prick (except 'that' press conf where he spoke the damn truth), but he's hardly an idiot. Think you need to save that term for people that are still at the club and others who've left us (in the shit).

So you disagree that Conte wanting Richarlison and signing off on signing him for 60m wasn't idiotic?!

Fair enough mate.

Back
Top Bottom