Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Insane money. Some back scratching going on there surely. Chelsea to buy a Villa player for a similar fee???

Chelsea book a profit of £37.5m (Maateson came through Chelsea youth so sale is 100% profit), and it all goes into period to 30 June which is VERY helpful for their ffp position ,

Meanwhile if Chelsea sign a player from Villa the fee is spread over 5 years (assuming a 5 year contract.

And Villa book whatever they make on the player they sell . again all profit before 30 June, whilst tyhey spread Maateson cost over 5 years.

Almost as if the 2 clubs both agreed to do deals to help each others ffp position out. Who would have thought it ? And its pretty similar to what Paratici got done 'for' - doing deals for financial reasons !

Of course he doesn’t have an inside track to the bloody manager. But he gets info, that’s irrefutable. The fact he says he doesn’t know when he doesn’t know sets him apart from the usual itk bullshit merchants. They want to pretend they know everything.

Conte wanting Richy specifically isn’t irrefutable though, that’s my point because it didn’t come from Conte direct

Our coffers have been plenty fine for a few years, it ain't a now thing.

Still, went 18 months without a signing not that far back.

This summer we got Werner on loan when the guy is an average player nowadays...despite us clearly lacking top quality up front. But yeah maybe we'll get a Nico Williams or Xavi Simons type next, I'll give our deciders the benefit of the doubt til the window shuts. But I sure ain't that hopeful.

Who makes that list in your opinion? Not asking as a dig, just genuinely interested to hear your views.

Modric, Dembele, Eriksen, Toby, Superjan...they were all pretty good exciting players before joining us, but I wouldn't go as far as saying they were the absolute best. Even Rafa VdV wasn't.

Fair, we didn't buy players who were at the very top of their game but in those days, pretty much up till the last couple of years under Poch, if not until after Covid, we legitimately didn't have the money to do so and compete with clubs trying to sign them.

Our economic model relied on us identifying players that could become top players.

The ones you mentioned plus Bale, Walker, Alli, Lloris, Son, perhaps Lamela had he not been plagued with injuries.

Yes there was a lot of dross in between too but we have absolutely been graced with many great footballers whom we have all loved to watch.... some of whom have gone on to play for the most elite teams in the world.

I would also add that when you look at the likes of Lloris, Jan, Eriksen we adjusted our wage structure to keep them at the club for years longer than we would have been able to previously.

It seems to me like we are doing similar now with the likes of Udogie, Sarr, Porro, VDV, Dragusin, Johnson (still got to prove himself) and I absolutely agree that we have to add some proven, top class players. I think it a completely valid expectation now and is absolutely necessary for us to be able to compete. We do have the money to do it but we also do have to find value at times the way that every team, bar City do.

Here's the thing. If Levy does back his managers, which is the drum you keep banging, why do they all fail to win anything and end up getting the sack?

:sonhmm:
It’s almost like winning trophies is harder than just “backing your manager.” Well done Captain Brains.

If it were that easy then every chairman would back their manager and everyone would win.

What a hippo you are.

Nothing seems to stop Chelsea spending, villa has very determined owners, they will want to stay in the top four at the very least.

Meanwhile, over at 'London's richest club'

200w.gif

So what is it that Levy doesn’t do if he IS backing them but still loses all the time
Well he doesn’t seem to have the backing of the UAE.

Let’s turn this around on you - what other factors might be relevant to winning apart from “backing the manager”?

I’m sure with a little head scratching you’ll come up with 4 or 5 other significant factors.

In other words, you don't have an answer 😆

It's actually a perfectly reasonable question, mate.

Try and work on what I actually said, not what your brain read or what you want me to say and I might humour you because you're clearly after some nibbles ;)

Bit more work on that comprehension matey.

Until then...

Fair, we didn't buy players who were at the very top of their game but in those days, pretty much up till the last couple of years under Poch, if not until after Covid, we legitimately didn't have the money to do so and compete with clubs trying to sign them.

Our economic model relied on us identifying players that could become top players.

The ones you mentioned plus Bale, Walker, Alli, Lloris, Son, perhaps Lamela had he not been plagued with injuries.

Yes there was a lot of dross in between too but we have absolutely been graced with many great footballers whom we have all loved to watch.... some of whom have gone on to play for the most elite teams in the world.

I would also add that when you look at the likes of Lloris, Jan, Eriksen we adjusted our wage structure to keep them at the club for years longer than we would have been able to previously.

It seems to me like we are doing similar now with the likes of Udogie, Sarr, Porro, VDV, Dragusin, Johnson (still got to prove himself) and I absolutely agree that we have to add some proven, top class players. I think it a completely valid expectation now and is absolutely necessary for us to be able to compete. We do have the money to do it but we also do have to find value at times the way that every team, bar City do.
Put simply the club has to build trust it had with the fans before the stadium move.

There isn’t a shortcut either and they might need to do things outside their comfort zone financially.

The Ange era with Lange and the new structure is making a promising start but the club is passed the stage of promises, it needs to deliver now. Can’t blame anymore managers, cant sack anymore DOFs, just needs to get it done. By any means possible

Back
Top Bottom