Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

People go on about our economic model not enabling us to afford players but also complain that Werner's wages are too high.
Our model does enable us to sign the absolute best. We just don't. That's what JT and others complain about. Rightly or wrongly ain't for me to judge.

The idea that we are still scraping the bargain bucket solely for £20m players is laughable and a tired narrative that doesnt stack up anymore.
Spot on.

To be honest my mate, it ain't even about the money as far as I'm concerned. Sign me a lad for 2 bucks, if he moves the needle and genuinely helps us challenge, then I'm all for it. Reality is, though, that more often than not, game-changers cost a brick. I just want us to stop pretending we wanna win stuff but then leave whoever our HC is short. Again & again. Instead I think we're more than entitled to want our bosses to do whatever is required to bring shiny cups home. We're plenty wealthy so if that's gotta cost 200 mil to close the gap on City & co, so be it. We've tried for 25 years to win on a budget and it's been an abject failure. Knowing spending big wouldn't see us do a Leeds, we're way too financially secure after years of Levy management.

Our model does enable us to sign the absolute best. We just don't. That's what JT and others complain about. Rightly or wrongly ain't for me to judge.

Spot on.

To be honest my mate, it ain't even about the money as far as I'm concerned. Sign me a lad for 2 bucks, if he moves the needle and genuinely helps us challenge, then I'm all for it. Reality is, though, that more often than not, game-changers cost a brick. I just want us to stop pretending we wanna win stuff but then leave whoever our HC is short. Again & again. Instead I think we're more than entitled to want our bosses to do whatever is required to bring shiny cups home. We're plenty wealthy so if that's gotta cost 200 mil to close the gap on City & co, so be it. We've tried for 25 years to win on a budget and it's been an abject failure. Knowing spending big wouldn't see us do a Leeds, we're way too financially secure after years of Levy management.

Our model does so now, yes -

If we are being honest though - for the longest time, it didn't, yet we did still sign some of the absolute best, even though it was, at times, before their peak.

So you disagree that Conte wanting Richarlison and signing off on signing him for 60m wasn't idiotic?!

Fair enough mate.

Did Conte even want Richy, mate? I ain't got the memory to recall if/when he ever said it publicly? But let's assume Wiggy did want him...it's still not Conte who signed the cheque. The manager tells the sporting director and other big heads who he fancies, they do the nego with selling club + player & agent, they agree on the numbers and stuff.

Spending 60 on Richy was idiotic, sure. All I'm saying is that it ain't Conte's fuck up.

Did Conte even want Richy, mate? I ain't got the memory to recall if/when he ever said it publicly? But let's assume Wiggy did want him...it's still not Conte who signed the cheque. The manager tells the sporting director and other big heads who he fancies, they do the nego with selling club + player & agent, they agree on the numbers and stuff.

Spending 60 on Richy was idiotic, sure. All I'm saying is that it ain't Conte's fuck up.

View: https://x.com/pokeefe1/status/1642927057536532490?t=69TFt23QPQn6Wvg08WdI-w&s=19

View: https://x.com/pokeefe1/status/1665712305659576322?t=2IFJKQP0gPttwOIi3s4Pvg&s=19

Spot on.

Our model includes a wage structure that makes it hard to get some players. I am not saying this is a bad thing, imagine where we would be if we had put a whole bunch of players on the Ndombele wage and they all downed tools after signing a 5 year contract on silly money.

Our model does so now, yes -
Our coffers have been plenty fine for a few years, it ain't a now thing.

Still, went 18 months without a signing not that far back.

This summer we got Werner on loan when the guy is an average player nowadays...despite us clearly lacking top quality up front. But yeah maybe we'll get a Nico Williams or Xavi Simons type next, I'll give our deciders the benefit of the doubt til the window shuts. But I sure ain't that hopeful.

If we are being honest though - for the longest time, it didn't, yet we did still sign some of the absolute best, even though it was, at times, before their peak.
Who makes that list in your opinion? Not asking as a dig, just genuinely interested to hear your views.

Modric, Dembele, Eriksen, Toby, Superjan...they were all pretty good exciting players before joining us, but I wouldn't go as far as saying they were the absolute best. Even Rafa VdV wasn't.

Anyone that believes 'Football Insider' deserves to waste their own time & energy with all whole ay of merry go round -ing ...

My nan could get a blue tick if she pay for it LOL ☑️

Actually Football insider broke the Ndombele cancelling contract story.

Seems like they have different journos work for them, some more believable than others.

Last edited:
Our coffers have been plenty fine for a few years, it ain't a now thing.

Still, went 18 months without a signing not that far back.

This summer we got Werner on loan when the guy is an average player nowadays...despite us clearly lacking top quality up front. But yeah maybe we'll get a Nico Williams or Xavi Simons type next, I'll give our deciders the benefit of the doubt til the window shuts. But I sure ain't that hopeful.

Who makes that list in your opinion? Not asking as a dig, just genuinely interested to hear your views.

Modric, Dembele, Eriksen, Toby, Superjan...they were all pretty good exciting players before joining us, but I wouldn't go as far as saying they were the absolute best. Even Rafa VdV wasn't.
I genuinely thought Paulinho was top drawer after the way he played for Brazil. Sadly not true.

I genuinely thought Paulinho was top drawer after the way he played for Brazil. Sadly not true.
Ah yeah, good shout on Paulinho.

Like you, I genuinely thought we'd signed a real gem, that he was gonna tear the PL a new one. But man what a disappointment. In his defense, the club was a shamble back then and he ain't the only one that flopped big time.

I think our window will look something like this:

- Backup GK: nobody, unless we somehow manage to shift Frase. If we did, gotta bring in a young 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 but one who, unlike Austin, has had plenty first team expo already, even if it's in the Champo (eg SAFC's Patterson)

- RB: a Don Fabio special from Serie A, like Bellanova from Torino. Or maybe that Van de Berg from Boro or his brother from Dippers...both can play RB or CB *bonus pts *

- CB: Tarkowski...LOL inclusion for our man Shotgunofmichalebrow Shotgunofmichalebrow 🤣 Nah wouldn't be surprised if we used our special relationship with RBL to get Bitshiabu on loan...can play LCB and LB

- Eze for 60 or so mil...maybe Skipp going the other way or even Hojbjerg (Glassner is a highly-rated HC) to recoup 15 ish mil

- ST: Kolo Muani on loan from PSG...can play out wide or centrally. Or we'll reach even lower and get a Morata or Weghorst on loan or dirt cheap (except wages for the ex Chavs greasy twat)
destruction GIF

Thing is, not that I don’t believe POK gets good info, I certainly don’t believe he ever has an inside track to the manager.

He might have been told Richy was a Conte request, that doesn’t mean it’s true. Perisic is pretty much irrefutable

Of course he doesn’t have an inside track to the bloody manager. But he gets info, that’s irrefutable. The fact he says he doesn’t know when he doesn’t know sets him apart from the usual itk bullshit merchants. They want to pretend they know everything.

Back
Top Bottom