Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just noticed we could be losing 3,4,5,8,11 and 12...

3REGUILON Sergio
4SKIPP Oliver
5HOJBJERG Pierre-Emile
6DRAGUSIN Ragu
7SON Heung-min
8BISSOUMA Yves
9RICHARLISON De Andrade
10MADDISON James
11GIL Bryan
12ROYAL Emerson

100%

Hes one of the best teenage footballers ever tbh. My comment wasn't a dig at him. More the cultural differences between how Spanish teams treat their young players in comparison to English clubs.

If Moore doesn't get minutes next season, that isn't down to his ability. If he came through La Masia and plying his trade in Spain, he would be playing. More how we develop young players as opposed to other counties do.
I remember I read an article around 10-12 years ago where it was discussed that on the "continent" a prospect or youngster (can't remember what exact word was use as a description) was a player around 18-19 years old, but not older, while in England a player into his 20s was still mentioned as a "prospect".

Toneys best season in the top flight is 11 non PL goals, Richarslon has several better than that and last season he had a pretty solid goal rate when played as a CF in this team under this manager.

It's not pointless to go for a prospect if you can't identify a striker better than what you currently have. Change for change sakes isn't the answer - if there was an obvious upgrade available, like Isak sure go all out for it, but swapping one 6 or 7 out of 10 player for another gets you nowhere

Apples and oranges comparison considering 1 was playing for an attacking team and the other was playing for a defensive team, Richy scored 14 last season for us whilst Toney scored 21 in his previous season for a team who sat back, context.

Also look at the type of goals Richy scored his goals, a lot of them were tap ins and being in the right place at the right time...

How many goals did he need to create for himself for example? I'm just thinking back...he scored a worldy against Everton and that was it...Are we really saying Toney wouldn't better that...considering Toney is a better striker than Richy I find that hard to believe.

In terms of buying a prospect, we are talking about a key area in our team who we want to be no1 striker, buying a young player who we need go wait on for a few years to mature does nothing for us, that's literally the reason we have players like Veliz, Parrot and Scarlett...what we need is a seasond ready striker now.

we've been linked to Gray for a while?

Weve been interested for a while. Like I imagine every club in the country would have been.

Linked? I can't remember any links to Gray this summer at all. Certainly no concrete links outside of perhaps ITKs throwing shit at a wall months back. Even when journalists would answer options for Spurs this summer, they'd mention the usual Gallagher, Ederson, Eze etc. But never Gray.

Do a search of his name in this thread alone. Fuck all from before the weekend outside of people fantasy signing him as one of their choices for the summer.

It's how Lange operates. This was pretty similar to Ings/Villa. Except the whole Brentford thing probably ruined the surprise of us signing him out of the blue.

Last edited:
Toneys best season in the top flight is 11 non PL goals, Richarslon has several better than that and last season he had a pretty solid goal rate when played as a CF in this team under this manager.

It's not pointless to go for a prospect if you can't identify a striker better than what you currently have. Change for change sakes isn't the answer - if there was an obvious upgrade available, like Isak sure go all out for it, but swapping one 6 or 7 out of 10 player for another gets you nowhere
Great post.
Toney is unlikely to put up better numbers than Richarlison. The ‘but he plays for Brentford’ excuse is no different from ‘but he plays for Everton’.
He averages 0.43 goals a game in his EPL career and that includes 11(?) penalties. He’s 28 which means he’s looking for a 4 or 5 year contract for the last big pay day of his career. If he doesn’t shine — and I suspect that he’ll be a marginal upgrade on Richarlison — then we are going to be stuck and looking at the prospect of trying to loan him out for the last 2 or 3 years of his contract because he’s going to be an average 30 year old forward on 100k+ a week.

I’d rather go all-in for a top-class winger and use the resources that we already have.

Brentford fans on their forum have still convinced themselves that Gray wanted to go to them over us.. It's just that Leeds pushed him to us so they could get Rodon

:ange-lol:

Nice to see the New York Times and The Athletic report this morning that he told Leeds to reject the bid from Brentford.. Despite Leeds desperately needing the money.. Because he didn't want to go Brentford and wanted to speak to us instead.

Not saying we should but if the club still feel they need another right back i dont see them dropping £35m/£40m on Vanderson after spending £40m on Gray. For what its worth i think Walker-Peters would be mad coming back, he needs to be a first choice somewhere.

In Gray's interview he spoke about his versatility meaning the squad size didn't need to be huge.

He's been told that by Spurs and I reckon that is the plan. I'd be shocked if we signed a RB. Maaaaaybe we sign that Geertruida who can play all 4 positions along the back 4, or even Chalobah. But if Porro needs a rest I am guessing Gray is first up. Same for Bissouma.

Fuck me, you really do know how to put a downer on things.

You call it a downer, I call it a hypocrisy check.
Lankshire is as much a signing as Udogie, Sarr, Bergvall, Devine and a lot of other 16-18 year olds.
They're developing elsewhere and then we're taking a punt.

We either loan them out or stick then in the Ux age teams and see how they get on.

Back
Top Bottom