Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

My cousin is a big Leeds fan and knows his football, said he's the best Academy prospect they've ever produced which is high praise considering some of the players Leeds brought through back in the day.

You can often tell a player but how their fans react to losing them. So far they mostly seem like they have lost a gem which is good for us but I do feel for them in respect to losing their best young talent.

What we need is a top level striker, if one is not available then stick with the one we already have who is a step below rather than adding another.

Strikers for Anges teams tend to score tap ins/finish off moves that's how his teams set up as far as I can see.

Fwiw when played as a CF last season Richy had a record of 9 in 14 in the league (whoscored.com) that's solid/good - over a season that would equate to well over 20 goals.

Point taken on apples v oranges but these debates always are

The logic isn't logic'ing my friend :D

If we need a top level striker then why are we happy to continue with Richy?
As for the top level striker...there is literally no top level striker on the market within our reach, unless our chairman decides to smoke crack and hand Osimhen big wages.

I don't understand why we are acting like Toney is incapable of finishing off moves and scoring tap ins, as an aside why do we need a top level striker to do just that?

If all Ange's strikers need to score tap ins and finish off moves then we'd play Son up front and continue with that but we know that's a problem because his hold up play is lacking so everything literally points to Toney who has exceptional hold up play, he isn't as good as finisher as Son but he's a better finisher and all round player than Richy.

And on Richy last season 11 in 28 isn't that impressive for an attacking team who play on the front foot, he hit a purple patch in the middle of the season and wasn't consistent throughout the whole season.

As for the top level striker...there is literally no top level striker on the market within our reach, unless our chairman decides to smoke crack and hand Osimhen big wages.

I don't understand why we are acting like Toney is incapable of finishing off moves and scoring tap ins, as an aside why do we need a top level striker to do just that?

If all Ange's strikers need to score tap ins and finish off moves then we'd play Son up front and continue with that but we know that's a problem because his hold up play is lacking so everything literally points to Toney who has exceptional hold up play, he isn't as good as finisher as Son but he's a better finisher and all round player than Richy.

And on Richy last season 11 in 28 isn't that impressive for an attacking team who play on the front foot, he hit a purple patch in the middle of the season and wasn't consistent throughout the whole season.

The logic is sound, you just disagree with my rating of Toney by the looks of it. I don't think he would be an improvement on Richy, ergo why sign him? You think he would be - but the logic of not signing a player if he isn't an improvement is a pretty basic one to grasp.

The logic is sound, you just disagree with my rating of Toney by the looks of it. I don't think he would be an improvement on Richy, ergo why sign him? You think he would be - but the logic of not signing a player if he isn't an improvement is a pretty basic one to grasp.

The stats and the eye test say that he is an improvement though.

Completely agree. But Sonny at 23 wasn’t a few levels above Johnson. Let’s see how Johnson develops.
My biggest issue with Johnson is he can’t finish apart from back post tap ins and he misses far too many of them too. Sonny has that brilliant whipped finish from outside the box although that is becoming less frequent. Johnson will never have that. He doesn’t have the technique for it.

Eye test is subjective and the stats say that Richarlson scores more goals in the EPL

The eye test isn't subjective at all, Toney is just a better all round striker, can you tell me what Richy has over Toney apart from first time finishing?

The stats say in the last three seasons that both players have been in the Prem, Toney has outscored him and that's even when you want to ignore the logic of Toney playing in a team with a defensive play style every season.

My point is that it's kinda self-explanatory that Spurs won't "try" for strikers who aren't considered better than Parrott; and if they can't get one who markedly better, then naturally they'll stick with Parrott. One doesn't need to be an ITK to "inform" people about that.
But I hope a club of the size of Spurs wouldn't waste time even trying for CF's who may be marginally better than Parrott.
Thus said, it's sometimes hard to predict the trajectory of a player, particularly a CF, and how they'll do in a league like the EPL. Names like Shevchenko, Kezman, Mutu, Pizarro, Morata, Crespo, Higuain, Falcao and, more recently, Marital and Højlund comes to mind.
It's a make it or brake season for Scarlett and Veliz, though.

Below are the CF's who've been heavily linked to Spurs for the past season and who would be available for the right price and who could strengthen Spurs - but, apart from maybe Kılıçsoy and David, at a very steep price.
Isak and Osimhen are the only 2 I safely could say would right away would strengthen Spurs, but would cost £100m+; while I am unsure it's worth the risk paying the price needed to get the other one's.
David, and Kılıçsoy are the only "affordable" ones' but there are "doubts" about them.

Ivan Toney
Marcus Rashford
Dominic Solanke
Tammy Abraham
Evan Ferguson
Alexander Isak
Patrik Schick
Dušan Vlahović
Mathys Tel
Lois Openda
Benjamin Šeško
Albert Guðmundsson
Brian Brobbery
Joshua Zirkzee,
Maximillian Beier
Semih Kılıçsoy
Jonathan David
Santiago Giménez
Vitor Roque
Brahim Diaz
Victor Osimhen

Thanks.

I think you have made my point for me.

- Not many 'guaranteed' good strikers
- Several with a few question marks but might suit our price range (eg David - 1 year left on contract)
- Plenty of unknowns who may be no better than Parrott

And a lot of competition for good strikers (eg Chelsea, Woolwich, ManU), so we may not get a good striker and our best decision at that point may be to stick with Richarlison and Son plus add Parrott in one of our otherwise unused 'Club trained' places'

Re the 'ITK' I suspect too many (especially on SC) need the above explaining to them !

Toney ain't a bad player but Solanke would be a much better fit for us on my opinion. Toney likes to drop off, Solanke is an excellent pressing striker.

I would genuinely rather pay more for Solanke than the 45m for Toney.

Back
Top Bottom