Sunday Funday with Crystal Palace!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

really? i think theres far more positive posters on the forum. easily out number the negative ones.

there are lots of positives. but i dont see why that makes it ok to have 1 central striker. it seems to be hindering kane a lot. we need to take care of our brightest stars. not burden them & give them no adaquete cover.

but this is ok because we are getting a new stadium. huh?

also no need to over exaggerate the positives by throwing lamela in. he was good yesterday but that doesnt mean we should rely on him being good most of the season. wait & see with him.

I think maybe the penny has dropped with Lamela in that less is better as our last 2 PL goals have come from him passing the ball quickly!
If Pooch is responsible for that then fair play to him and I have to concede that I got it wrong about Dier playing in midfield!
Lamela also looks stronger this season as he matures and he won the ball well before finding Eriksen yesterday.

they can hurt us on the wings though.
we are very fragile there.
a draw would be superb.

I'd take a draw and yes our full backs, all 4 of them, concern me!
Some are better going forward, Rose & Walker, but prone to bad errors.
Not sure about Trippier as he seems a bit pedestrian and feel the same way about Davies although tbf he did OK yesterday.

Very concerned about Harry's form this season but he's still putting the effort in!

So, on that logic if we would have bought a DM, kept Dier to play at CB, what would happen if the new DM got injured?
Should we have bought 2 DM's then Sammy?
Or, I suppose with that wonderful thing hindsight, would you now have Dier filling in if the new DM was injured?

You make me die.

Its not my logic.

My logic is that we are relying heavily on Dier, and he has no adequate cover

If Dier gets injured we will probably play Alderweireld as DM. He can do it and has done it before.
We then have Wimmer or Fazio to cover at CB.
If not two out of Mason, Dembele or Bentaleb will have to suffice.

Ahhh the new mantra, Toby as DM....lets dismantle the CB pairing to compensate on Dier being injured because we dont have a back up DM. Smart.

And the others wont suffice. Thats my point.

Dier has been a revelation. Who will come in and do better?
Mason? Bentaleb? Dembele? What like they did last year?

Two good performances, results aside makes me happy.

Last week was a good result, but I couldnt give two fucks for the performance, as It said at the time. It showed no progress, unlike yesterday.

Whats killing you is the fact Ive been praising the team
no - whats obvious is that its killing you.

I quite like Wimmer. Hasn't put a step wrong when I've seen him.

Looks good and is fine cover for our CBs.

Its one thing though playing second choice CBs if the first choice is injured, but quite another dismantling Jan and Toby because we didnt sign a DM.

Typical Spurs, just shunting the problems around the pitch

why were we after a DM then? if we knew dier would be good there & we have all this cover.
u must be livid the club were going to needlessly waste ££ on an a player who wasnt needed.
thank god the saints said no to wanyamas transfer request.
he was just in as cover for Dier

or was it Kane, err Vorm.......

speed kills!

love fast players in the team. we were crying out for that last season.
It certainly does. That counter attack was an echo of the Lennon / Bale CL season when we would counter teams a break neck speed.

We've missed that for a couple of seasons now. Hopefully Son and Clinton give us that outlet again.

Is this guy Mick Cooper Mick Cooper for real sammyspurs sammyspurs :
Troll Queen of backyard Bermuda!
you weak, insipid,lying, shithouse, faux spurs supporters really hurt me with your withering put downs
I cry myself to sleep at night knowing that you don't love me

Oh - no, my mistake

you actually mean about as much to me as a passing fart, and your opinions and posts have actually less value.

I can live with all sammy has to offer because he's a committed spurs fan. I don't agree with everything he says - but at least I can respect him for having an opinion

you -
have nothing............

you weak, insipid,lying, shithouse, faux spurs supporters really hurt me with your withering put downs
I cry myself to sleep at night knowing that you don't love me

Oh - no, my mistake

you actually mean about as much to me as a passing fart, and your opinions and posts have actually less value.

I can live with all sammy has to offer because he's a committed spurs fan. I don't agree with everything he says - but at least I can respect him for having an opinion

you -
have nothing............

To voice an opinion that isn't blindly positive means you're a 'faux Spurs fans'?

Shut up you complete tit.

Looks good and is fine cover for our CBs.

Its one thing though playing second choice CBs if the first choice is injured, but quite another dismantling Jan and Toby because we didnt sign a DM.

Typical Spurs, just shunting the problems around the pitch
Tbf poch seems to love players who can switch position dier/alders seem capable of playing the exact same position and interchange depending on the play so poch could have seen this as his number 1 solution from the beginning, certainly makes sense to me - then we have wimmer/Fazio to slot in if needed

To voice an opinion that isn't blindly positive means you're a 'faux Spurs fans'?

Shut up you complete tit.
Fuck you very much

No - the guy I was sounding off at, is a complete fraud
I have no issues with Sammy's commitment to being a Spurs supporter, or the fact that he can see that everything isn't roses.

So no that wasn't what I was saying at all

so you shut up - you more complete tit than I am

(ps - I asked the guy ages ago to cut the personal sniping, and said that if he did, then I would do the same - but he thrives on this kind of comment, so it was a personal message from me to him, not a commentary on the way anyone else expresses their support)

Last season proves they cant fill in at DM, and Dier is doing something that we massively lacked.
So if he gets injured, Mason and Bentaleb dont suddenly become adequate DMs
Dier has made the DM his own and is playing brilliantly. I feel we have cover in the squad, if needed.

Yes, Dier has defined the role within the balance of the team and has shown what is needed as a DM. Now, any player coming into that position will know exactly what's needed to be done. Im sure Bentaleb and possibly Mason have the ability to play a similar game if required or a run of games. I seem to remember people on here suggesting Dier wasn't the best player for the job earlier on. Lets see what happens and then deal with it without predicting any shortfalls before they happen.

We definitely did need a DM in the window, we all said it

As we failed to get one I think the black box should be looking to convert Bentaleb as the DM cover as the other Centre mid is Alli or Mason (with Dembele as 3rd in the depth there if needed) he may not even get a game otherwise

I am not a fan of pulling Toby out if Dier got injured, he is finally the guy Jan likes playing with, the sum of the parts is superb, a class signing I wanted for 3 years.

We definitely did need a DM in the window, we all said it

As we failed to get one I think the black box should be looking to convert Bentaleb as the DM cover as the other Centre mid is Alli or Mason (with Dembele as 3rd in the depth there if needed) he may not even get a game otherwise

I am not a fan of pulling Toby out if Dier got injured, he is finally the guy Jan likes playing with, the sum of the parts is superb, a class signing I wanted for 3 years.
Personally I think the most impressive and authoritative games Bentaleb has played was when he slotted in at left back, I wouldn't mind seeing him play that position again

Back
Top Bottom