Swansea at Wembley - 16 Sep, 17:30KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not from when I have seen him, once again look at that run against Dortmund (loads of examples but this is a big one) and you can see his pace really isn't that great. He looks fast on the ball, but I think this mainly because of his power and (unfortunately) his touch isn't great so the ball is always getting away from him.

No idea.

It confused me just like the time Leighton Baines outpaced Lennon in 2008.

Why dont you understand that I expect more form Dele than I do from Janssen and Sissoko
Why? Because the media has hyped the lad up and you bought into it? He's just 21 years old FFS. Janssen was a goal machine back home and Sissoko is in his prime. Why didn't you expect more from them? They were wearing the shirt as well. But no. Samuel arbitrarily decides who must play to a higher standard and can be dropped even while still scoring.

I expect our key players to dig us out of the trough, because thats why they are linked with the likes of Real Madrid and bandies around as being worth 200M
What makes him a key player? Two seasons of great scoring form. He's still scoring at the same goal ratio. What you're saying is that you've been suckered into believe the "good enough for Barca" stuff and thing he should be performing like Messi every game, and he is doesn't, not good enough! No high expectations there, no sirree.

Ok you're asking us to believe that you have a brain
:hugoshock:

I have a brain and think that he could be good for us as he showed when played in the correct position as at Everton

His control does sometimes let him down but get him running at defences, which he didn't do yesterday, and he will cause problems
It's not obvious that you have when you can't see his obvious failings and footballing limitations.
I hope you can accept that there is nothing I would like more than for him to morph into some kind of Yaya Toure powerhouse and be everything that you say he is, but I'm comfortable with my appraisal and believe he will be gone in the not too distant future.
It's one of those occasions where I will delighted to be proven wrong .

Oh jog on.....so when YOU decide he can be dropped its all fine and dandy??

Fucking hell
No. Poch decides. I can have an opinion. Poch's opinion seems to me in line with mine right now. If he decides Dele is out of form and to be dropped then that's his prerogative, not mine. But he hasn't. You have. You are not the manager.

Let me guess your response, Poch isn't perfect, makes mistakes, blah, blah, blah.

:defoe:

What makes him a key player? Two seasons of great scoring form. He's still scoring at the same goal ratio. What you're saying is that you've been suckered into believe the "good enough for Barca" stuff and thing he should be performing like Messi every game, and he is doesn't, not good enough! No high expectations there, no sirree.

He is not a striker...there is more to his job than scoring goals. His all round play is below par, despite the goals.
Stop making the same points, and asking me to answer the same questions.

Messi every week..? No, just Dele

Dele is a one and two touch player. He plays one touch around the oppo defence braking their lines with a flick and a trick. Everything he does is at speed, with either back to goal or running behind defence, always being marked and challenged for the ball. He makes runs from deep, sometimes he is picked out other times he isn't but he is always on the move. He ALWAYS plays like this for us.

He isn't a player that dominates, he isn't a player that holds the ball in possession, he isn't a player that dwells on the ball.

IMO he's has played exactly the same this season as he has done for us last season. If he doesn't score or assist a goal it would appear people call him out as being shit.

The only time I've seen him way off the pace was at the beginning of last season (along with Dier and Kane) in those games he rarely got near the ball and was chasing the game (he also tweaked a knee I think??).

Every player shouldn't be immune from being dropped if they are not playing well. My point is he is playing as well as he has always been, he hasn't been poor.

Playing devils here it wasn't about dropping Dele, we maybe should have switched to a 4231 against Swansea so all would have played in right place, basically leave 2 at back and Dier in front as Swansea weren't even attacking

Didnt need Sanchez and Dier on field really, anyway its done now

:defoe:

He is not a striker...there is more to his job than scoring goals. His all round play is below par, despite the goals.
Stop making the same points, and asking me to answer the same questions.

Messi every week..? No, just Dele
Right, so who are you going to drop him for, and don't say Son, because Son has played every game this year and doesn't have a greater all round game than Dele has. Both are scoring. So who else comes in to get Dele's goals? Llorente?

No. Poch decides. I can have an opinion. Poch's opinion seems to me in line with mine right now. If he decides Dele is out of form and to be dropped then that's his prerogative, not mine. But he hasn't. You have. You are not the manager.

Let me guess your response, Poch isn't perfect, makes mistakes, blah, blah, blah.

Maybe you think Poch never makes a mistake, I dont know why you would find that a strange answer. Im not into cult personally.

Basically your views boil down to "if Poch drops Dele then he should be dropped"....you have made the manager infallible. Whatever he does, you will back.

Maybe there will be a day that Alli is playing out of his skin and Poch wrongly takes him off and we suffer. But you will back the decision on the basis that Poch can never get it wrong perhaps?

Well sorry to dissapoint, but he can, and has.

Right, so who are you going to drop him for, and don't say Son, because Son has played every game this year and doesn't have a greater all round game than Dele has. Both are scoring. So who else come sin to get Dele's goals? Llorente?

Son scored 3 more goals last season than Dele and had two less assists, in less games.
This season he looks in form, where as Dele doesnt.

I wouldnt lose my shit if we played the same team as Dortmund against West Ham.

Its a squad game, which means Llorente is also a valid option

Maybe you think Poch never makes a mistake, I dont know why you would find that a strange answer. Im not into cult personally.

Basically your views boil down to "if Poch drops Dele then he should be dropped"....you have made the manager infallible. Whatever he does, you will back.

Maybe there will be a day that Alli is playing out of his skin and Poch wrongly takes him off and we suffer. But you will back the decision on the basis that Poch can never get it wrong perhaps?

Well sorry to dissapoint, but he can, and has.
Poch isn't infallible. I'm simply saying he works with the players daily and is likely a better judge of form than you. He also has to make a decision on the value of a player who is still getting goals - goals being a commodity that, despite your bullshit, are the single most important thing an attacking player can contribute. It just so happens that right now Poch appears to agree with me and not you.

To put it simply, I'll take his word over yours any day because he is far more qualified. That doesn't mean I will agree with every single thing he says or does. But on this occasion the assessment of Dele is not as cut and dried as you are making it out to be and Poch has to decide that if he drops a source of goals he can replace those goals from the same position on the pitch. I think the only credible argument for dropping him would be if you could put a player in his position who could provide lots of assists for Kane, Llorente, Son, etc. Who is that player?

Sammy and Salmon the original Danny and Sandy from Grease

Best mates all summer, practically lovers then "IT TURNED COLDER.... THATS WHEN IT ENNNNNDDDS"

Son scored 3 more goals last season than Dele and had two less assists, in less games.
This season he looks in form, where as Dele doesnt.

I wouldnt lose my shit if we played the same team as Dortmund against West Ham.

Its a squad game, which means Llorente is also a valid option
Again, Son has played every game this year. It's not as if he is being kept on the bench every game until the 89th minute while Dele strolls around not scoring. Son has scored once this season. Dele twice. They do not play the same position and, no, Son has not made any assists this season. Son is also a weaker player in terms of his general play. He offers goals. That is what he brings. You are not going to see a huge difference in the midfield if you are starting Son and benching Alli. Many games last year in which Son would start he'd go missing for most of the game until or unless he scored. So by your own logic he's no more adept than Dele when it comes to his non-goal play.

You've fully revealed yourself though through your Dortmund line up comment. Basically our best home game of the season is one in which Dele was suspended and Son started and scored in a high tempo match. Based on that one game you have decided that playing that team will win us our games because we won on Wednesday with it. Thank God you're not our manager. Talk about reactionary.

Poch isn't infallible. I'm simply saying he works with the players daily and is likely a better judge of form than you

Really? So he's not infallible and can mistakes then. So those times when you feel he has got it wrong, your opinion means fuck all because "he works with the players daily and is likely a better judge of form than you".

It just so happens that right now Poch appears to agree with me and not you.

Awwww how sweet that must be for you and Poch

8SFvxjwh74A5rn2JDlE4sQUYZ24t4bXMvxyQ_zCGk-Av4InpYe8A8VvVVisSgUDVF_I=w300

To put it simply, I'll take his word over yours any day because he is far more qualified. That doesn't mean I will agree with every single thing he says or does.

:harrysmile:

If you really think about that statement you will see how up your own bum you are.
He's far more qualified than you too.....so on what basis will you justify not agreeing with his decisions, seeing as thats the crux of why you are disagreeing with my opinion.

But on this occasion the assessment of Dele is not as cut and dried as you are making it out to be and Poch has to decide that if he drops a source of goals he can replace those goals from the same position on the pitch. I think the only credible argument for dropping him would be if you could put a player in his position who could provide lots of assists for Kane, Llorente, Son, etc. Who is that player?

No its not that at all. You are veiwing it on the basis we can only play one way and if Dele is dropped it has to be like for like coming in.

Son can, and has replaced Dele to great effect, just a few nights ago. Now you are trying to make out that Dele's replacement has to provide for Son. Son IS his replacement.
We can also try two up top, who knows how well Llorente and Kane will link up in the right set up?

Stop making out you are not against Dele being dropped, then reeling off every reason under the sun why he cant be.

Can you show me where I called Dele a "sack of shit".....you know seeing as:

As for the Sissoko stuff:

Now run along and find a way to justify YOUR quotes as constructive critique you fucking preaching hypocrite
I have been entirely consistent in my opinion of his lack of ability and the discrepancy of his level of footballing skills in comparison with the rest of our first team squad. I have made jokes about him, because he has been a consistently poor performer who adds little to the performance of the team, he's neither good offensively, defensively or creatively, so why would I start suddenly praising him?
What I haven't done is mindlessly called him shit, like you did about Alli and the teams performance, and you can amuse yourself by going through a similarly anal process in this thread to find those quotes Sammy, I have better things to do with my life than look for them.
Then look up all the eulogies for Alli and his perceived skills and compare and contrast them with your comments and you appraisal and analogy to the king's new clothes, ie only you see through him and everyone else is a fool for believing in him.
I get it, you were annoyed we weren't winning, he hadn't scored and you were whining like a stuck pig because everyone had let you down - and let's face it, you are a wonderful, insightful and knowledgeable fan who just "knows" so much more than everyone else.
Am I really a hypocrite Sammy, because I believe Sissoko to be overvalued and incapable of delivering against his transfer fee? I have never said that you are not allowed a negative opinion, but there's a big difference between "Alli isn't playing to his best standards" and "Alli is shit and has been all season" and then start publicly abusing anyone who sticks up for him, or people like me who called you out for your mindless, abusive condemnation of his contribution.
You have shown you can break down why you think players don't contribute, to why settle for the lowest form of condemnation? If I had simply said "shit post" to everything you posted without explaining why, would you have been happy with that?
You have resorted to abusing me personally when I have tried to be objective so imagine what you'd have done in that case.
You're happy to dish it out Sammy, but you're not so good at accepting reasoned criticism of your handiwork.

Back
Top Bottom