Tanguy Ndombele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Agreed. But is Jose going to stick with that against Everton and Man City? He should do.

I really hope he does.

Say what you will about Jose’s tactics, but based on his team selections and tinkering the last 2-3 months he clearly knows Kane, Son, Ndombele, Hojbjerg, Reguilon, and Lloris are the only properly reliable players we have.

Say what you will about Jose’s tactics, but based on his team selections and tinkering the last 2-3 months he clearly knows Kane, Son, Ndombele, Hojbjerg, Reguilon, and Lloris are the only properly reliable players we have.
This is true. But often I feel he doesn't give them a fighting chance. Like 3 at the back turns to a flat 5, or we have 3 DMs, or no pressing support etc.
Hope things change from today!

So much better having him in central midfield than Sissoko. It’s game changing and a breath of fresh air.
Allows us to have an extra attacker on the pitch which makes a massive difference to the balance of the side offensively. Also him and PEH eases pressure on the defence as they don't have Sissoko and Winks giving the ball back to them every other touch.

Fill in the blanks with the rest of the squad and that's still a top 4 side.

Having Hojbjerg and Ndombele as a 2 with Lo Celso in front of them at the 10 seems a way forward.

Allows us to have an extra attacker on the pitch which makes a massive difference to the balance of the side offensively. Also him and PEH eases pressure on the defence as they don't have Sissoko and Winks giving the ball back to them every other touch.

Yep, that’s it, 100%. Such a shame we couldn’t pay for another central midfielder in January. It would of helped us out so much not to have to play one of those other two.

Not his best performance today but he was still quite solid. That's how good he's been as of late.

It helps our buildup so much that we can progress the ball through both sides of our midfield. When we play Sissoko, we effectively can only buildup through one side of the pitch.

You need to watch Fernades its like the episode of ER that Tarrantino directed. What you are seeing with N'dombele is no mystery he is unique no one other than Grealish who plays wide so consequently only take a hit on one side dose what he dose. N'dombele is riding tackles from right and left and then facing up a bloke. No one else is getting the volume of contacts as him as no body else certainly in the EPL is breaking a press on their own like him. Its high risk high reward stuff, it also makes him very vulnerable it may cost him in the long run.
You actually dont want that in front of your defence cos if you lose the ball, things can go south quickly.

What you actually want is a player that knows how to find space and avoids the press, not trying to break through it. A player that knows where the ball is going next before he recieves it. More passing, less dribbling.

From the BBC gossip bit, does anyone have the article they can post up here?

France midfielder Tanguy Ndombele, 24, has conceded he had to change if he wanted to succeed with Tottenham in the Premier League. (Telegraph - subscription required)

Tottenham's Tanguy Ndombele on struggle to deal with 'tough love' from Jose Mourinho​

Ndombele has managed to convince Mourinho of his qualities after an inauspicious start to their relationship

Tottenham Hotspur’s record signing Tanguy Ndombele has described the effect of Jose Mourinho’s criticism of him last season as “like a war in my head” but conceded that he had to change to thrive in the Premier League.

Spurs face West Brom today with Ndombele a key figure in the team now, albeit with Mourinho’s players trying to arrest a slump of three straight defeats in the Premier League.
The £65million midfielder, bought from Lyon in 2019, was not immediately a part of Mourinho’s plans, criticised for his performance against Burnley in March of last season when he was substituted at half-time, and did not start another league game until the visit to Southampton in September.

Asked about the criticism he had taken, Ndombele, speaking before Thursday’s defeat to Chelsea, said: “It depends how you take the message I would say. Obviously, the coach can be quite hard on people at times but I think that’s understandable if you concede a sloppy goal or things don’t go your way.
"But it’s important that you take that message on board and try to find in it the positives and not be floored by the hardness of the message but the content. Now it’s safe to say that things are going very well, communication is open, and we are all happy with that.”

Asked whether Mourinho had applied a version of tough love, or in French “qui aime bien châtie bien” – the hardest criticism is reserved for those one cares about the most – Ndombele conceded that was the case.
“Well, yes, that French expression stands, we do say that about the way people are with each other but sometimes the words can be too hard,” he said. “Or too harsh when you speak that way. When you speak that way it is obviously going to have an effect and for me, it created a war in my head. It was difficult to take."

He added later: “That was last season. It was not enjoyable of course, but it was not unmerited criticism. Well, you can either try to blame others for any slips or errors, or try to laugh about it or brush it off, but you will always go on to reflect properly on what has been said, and to take criticism on board.”

Really went to pot when both him and Lamela went off.

Really liking him in the deep position alongside Hojbjerg though - think with more and more games together, they'll be a superb partnership. I really don't think it's a coincidence that our last two games have seen us aim to play a bit more forward when they've been our two midfielders.

Really went to pot when both him and Lamela went off.

Really liking him in the deep position alongside Hojbjerg though - think with more and more games together, they'll be a superb partnership. I really don't think it's a coincidence that our last two games have seen us aim to play a bit more forward when they've been our two midfielders.
Yea, it's been great seeing these guys bond both on and off the pitch.

Back
Top Bottom