Tanguy Ndombele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I am not one to start producing figures but base my views on what I see from watching every Spurs match. Ndombele is clearly class and I really like watching the way he keeps the ball in tight situations and glides past people. However he is not affecting the result as often as someone with his talent should. By that I mean goals and creating chances. He needs to do much more but I am hopeful that will come next season and I would stick with him. We have more problems than him and any replacement is a risk and another bedding in period.

You will never see as much of that with him being used in a Mourinho, reactive strategy, double pivot CM2.

We will not get the best of him playing the format and tactical approach we do 70% of the time. He’s much better as an 8 in a cm3.

Just look at Pogba at ManU, was one of the most productive midfielders in the PL prior, then Mourinho insisted on turning him from an 8 into a double pivot CM2 - and it's just not his forte.

I don't see that his 1st or for the matter of fact even 2nd role in the team would be to score or assist goals.
There is more in football than just goals.

He has been quite good in some games in progressing the ball, calming the play under pressure and even work back to defense. And in fact - he is miles above Sissoko in the latter as well.
100%

'We have more problems than him' I can't believe people are contemplating repalcing him , he's been great this season.

Also he's a number 8 , he isn't going to get crucial goals or assists because that's not his role. His role is to progress Tottenham up the pitch , keep and distibute the ball and link Defense + Attack.
Sounds like a number 4 and not an 8. A number 8 connects the midfield with attack, which I reckon it’s what the poster you replied to is looking at. Mind you, it all depends on the formation you’re playing to determine what your 8 is doing.

At the moment, Tanguy should be doing more up the pitch. If he’s an 8 for us, it’s his role.

Some great 8’s? Kaka, Kanu, prime Dele.

Sounds like a number 4 and not an 8. A number 8 connects the midfield with attack, which I reckon it’s what the poster you replied to is looking at. Mind you, it all depends on the formation you’re playing to determine what your 8 is doing.

At the moment, Tanguy should be doing more up the pitch. If he’s an 8 for us, it’s his role.

Not to split hairs but Kanu would’ve been a 10 rather than an 8 surely?

Dele isn't an 8

Dele is a 10 who made late runs into the box.

Ndombele is basically what Dembele did. Dembele barely got any goal involvements and I didn't care because his role was something different.

Dele isn't an 8

Dele is a 10 who made late runs into the box.

Ndombele is basically what Dembele did. Dembele barely got any goal involvements and I didn't care because his role was something different.
All the discussion about numbers and false numbers is over my head. But I recognised and appreciated what The Moose did for us and he, along with Eriksen when he could be bothered, made us tick. When they were on song, we played some scintillating stuff and were an absolute joy to watch. Apart from little flashes, I haven't seen the same from Tanguy. You can argue that he hasn't had enough playing time/team not set up to suit him/doesn't have the right player alongside him, etc., but at the price he cost, it's not unreasonable to expect more than we have seen so far.

All the discussion about numbers and false numbers is over my head. But I recognised and appreciated what The Moose did for us and he, along with Eriksen when he could be bothered, made us tick. When they were on song, we played some scintillating stuff and were an absolute joy to watch. Apart from little flashes, I haven't seen the same from Tanguy. You can argue that he hasn't had enough playing time/team not set up to suit him/doesn't have the right player alongside him, etc., but at the price he cost, it's not unreasonable to expect more than we have seen so far.
Tanguy has bags of talent but remains a bit of an enigma to me. Can absolutely humiliate players then go completely missing. Still think he needs to do more to impose himself on games, especially with that price tag. Should be doing more but there have been encouraging signs.

I just wonder how he would play if say someone like kloop, Pep or even Harry were his manager. You often some players thrive under different managers. I think he awesome and defo has the talent. I’d be telling him to look for the more ambitious passes every now and then. We have players if coached to make clever runs would be ideal for him. Often he has the ball and every forward player is in a huddle so has no options.

Lovely to see how we've gone from hating him, to loving him and back to hating him again. And people think football fans are reactionary.

I'm announcing the 4th Wave Loving Him movement. Get on board now before it becomes passé

Lovely to see how we've gone from hating him, to loving him and back to hating him again. And people think football fans are reactionary.

I'm announcing the 4th Wave Loving Him movement. Get on board now before it becomes passé
I certainly don’t hate him. I think he’s got real quality but for whatever reason blows very hot and cold. Basing this judgment over near on two full seasons. Not a handful of games. And perfectly possible to be very much an admirer of his technical qualities whilst thinking how a pro athlete has such a poor engine.

I certainly don’t hate him. I think he’s got real quality but for whatever reason blows very hot and cold. Basing this judgment over near on two full seasons. Not a handful of games. And perfectly possible to be very much an admirer of his technical qualities whilst thinking how a pro athlete has such a poor engine.

Your never going to see the best of him under Jose. He is not an off ball player, if we played decent possession football you wouldn’t get the hot/cold stuff.

Its baffling. Kane Son N'dombele among the handful of players in the squad who are NOT part of out massive issues. People seem to want total brilliance from them all the time, yet we have players putting 1 out of 10 form over and over again.

Your never going to see the best of him under Jose. He is not an off ball player, if we played decent possession football you wouldn’t get the hot/cold stuff.
You will never see the best of him because he does not have the desire to achieve the level that he should.

'We have more problems than him' I can't believe people are contemplating repalcing him , he's been great this season.

Also he's a number 8 , he isn't going to get crucial goals or assists because that's not his role. His role is to progress Tottenham up the pitch , keep and distibute the ball and link Defense + Attack.

I don't think he's been great at all. He's had the odd great performance here and there. The odd great half. Overall he can do more, much more, for me. I hope he can do it with us, but don't see it.

Last edited:
If, say, PSG came in offering us our money back on Tanguy (£55 million), would you take it?

He's improved this year, but I'd be tempted to have the money to spend elsewhere if we got an offer like that. Given our financial reality and need to generate funds somehow.

He's better than Winks, but we have Lo Celso who can play there, and Skipp coming back. And we could reinvest some of the cash on another midfielder, and still have spare to invest.

I've been waiting for Tanguy to really dominate games, but for all his skills, he still flatters to deceive. The game against Woolwich was an example of how he can go missing.

Maybe it's coming. Maybe next season he will go up a level again. But I am starting to think if we got a really good offer it could be smart to cash out.

I'd take it and run, on the basis of his mentality/personality and not because of any lack of ability.

I'd feel a lot more confident about his future with a different, more progressive manager.
If ever there was a player that isn't suited to Mourinho ball it's Tanguy. Hopefully the dinosaur won't be here next year and we can see a modern coach get the best out of his undoubted ability.

Back
Top Bottom