Tanguy Ndombele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fun fact: NDombele was our only starter that was (at no point) losing yesterday.

13’ Kane goal (assist NDombele)

35’ Jota goal (not Ndombele’s fault)

64’ NDombele>>><<<Skipp substitution

69’ Robertson goal

74’ Son goal (a fine over-the-top ball from Winks???) But mostly an Alisson howler.

Meaningless drivel.

If that's "fun", you are extremely easily pleased.

I've been entirely catagoric in my statements. There's absolutely zero need for you to revise them.
Then you are categorically wrong.

So without Ndombele we dont score the first goal and Skipp made no positive difference in the goalscoring when he came on. Ndombele also not responsible in any of the goals conceded. Logically his assist helped in getting the draw. Even the second goal we scored was from their error rather than any great pass played.

There isnt even a need to distract from Ndombele. He was average. Nothing great , helped in getting us a point. The only ones hating him right now are the ones who usually hate him anyway.

There is 100% a group of winks lovers who defend him like a cult after every game when its obvious he is shit.
Davies did fuck up and played a big part in giving the first goal away.
Dele's finishing was extremely poor in the chance he had and also fucked up the pass to Kane.

Why do you have a problem with simple truths. There is no need to pretend it didnt happen.

That's some irrational shit right there I mean I get irrationally waiting for N'dombele to come good but Doherty :mourshock:
Yea I mentioned we should give Emerson time as the other option is Doherty and we dont wana see Doherty again. And this dude just runs to give a disagree right away. Absolutely loves Doherty for some reason. It is strange.

To be fair though, even waiting for Ndombele to come good is not a great idea. Dont think he has the engine required for PL games. We need a complete overhaul of CMs. We have like 6 CMs? Ndombele, Locelso, Winks, Hojberg, Dele, Skipp and not one of them feels like they have what it takes.

Good assist, good but not worthy of the creaming I've seen in some places. I'd expect most Premier League players to be able to play a straight ball through like that. It was more a result of Liverpool's midfield disappearing and giving him the freedom of the pitch.

He did get caught in possessiom more than we are used to and this is supposed to be his best trait. I'm willing to put it down to a lack of match sharpness.

Will be interesting to see if Conte sticks with him on Wed.

Another fun fact: In 3 appearances vs Liverpool (the other 2 matches against Ndombele DNP) the only time Spurs have trailed with Ndombele on the pitch was when he was partnered with Højbjerg in our 3-1 defeat behind closed doors.

What else......?

(and by way of answering your question in the other thread)
He was given a more positionally disciplined remit yesterday, with Alli given much more license to get forward and support the forward 2. I thought he did plenty of decent work without the ball yesterday, nothing spunktatstic, but bearing in mind this is what Conte has picked out concerning Ndombele, I thought it offered some hope. He carried out the same amount of pressures (18) as Winks but in 30 minutes less on the pitch. He was often the deepest midfielder:

69r6084.png

That through ball is absolutely typical of Ndombele. Alli, for all the good things he tried to do (or did) failed to execute anything as well. Alli had a very similar chance on the left side a bit before the first goal to play a similar pass with both Kane and Son running through, and fucked it up. he even fucked up a 2 v1 on the keeper pass that would have meant a certain goal.

This wasn't just a back to the wall bus park. From the second half onwards we were dominating the ball, and Ndombele was helping us do that, being available and making the right choices on the ball generally. Again nothing spectacular, but just decent competent stuff.

And let's not forget, that was Liverpool. We aren't going to play teams as good as Liverpool every week.

So, IMO, without over stating anything, or getting carried away, what I think he did was create one our goals with a superb through ball - from the exact position/role that I've been wanting to see him in - and generally do a decent job of being part of a tactical structure that saw our all our midfielders contribute something tangible to the game and us look like we actually have a midfield that can play some football.

Only assist on Spurs.

Conclusion: Spurs’ match assist leader.

So?

Not even our best MF on the day..... Let alone best player.

"Spurs’ match assist leader."

"Intensity is just Body language"

"Only player not to be losing during the game"
(*Even though we equalised 5 minutes after they went 2-1 up!)

LOL..... The state of these hollow accolades you're concocting. Absolutely tragic!!!

- Fact-check on that one btw.... Lucas & Reg also fit that description; so you fail even harder there too.

Is a fact less meaningful than random/arbitrary player ratings?

LOL.. You fraud... You're a massive stat-muncher when it suits you and routinely roll out hipster graphs etc.

Asking for a friend.

"Asking" would suggest a question would it not?

You've just descended into word-salad at this point.

You're a full-blown cultist.... You're beyond hope.

He was given a more positionally disciplined remit yesterday, with Alli given much more license to get forward and support the forward 2. I thought he did plenty of decent work without the ball yesterday, nothing spunktatstic, but bearing in mind this is what Conte has picked out concerning Ndombele, I thought it offered some hope. He carried out the same amount of pressures (18) as Winks but in 30 minutes less on the pitch. He was often the deepest midfielder:

69r6084.png

But do we honestly know that he was given a more defensively minded role in that game, or was it that he just was nowhere near as active and progressive? When we won the ball, Winks and Dele instantly moved forward and Tanguy was nowhere near as high up the pitch and often was nowhere near involved in the transition.

For being often the deepest-lying midfielder, maybe given more defensive responsibilities, and putting in the same amount of pressures he only had 2 defensive actions, compared to 5 for Winks and 8 for Dele.

That through ball is absolutely typical of Ndombele. Alli, for all the good things he tried to do (or did) failed to execute anything as well. Alli had a very similar chance on the left side a bit before the first goal to play a similar pass with both Kane and Son running through, and fucked it up. he even fucked up a 2 v1 on the keeper pass that would have meant a certain goal.

This wasn't just a back to the wall bus park. From the second half onwards we were dominating the ball, and Ndombele was helping us do that, being available and making the right choices on the ball generally. Again nothing spectacular, but just decent competent stuff.

And let's not forget, that was Liverpool. We aren't going to play teams as good as Liverpool every week.

So, IMO, without over stating anything, or getting carried away, what I think he did was create one our goals with a superb through ball - from the exact position/role that I've been wanting to see him in - and generally do a decent job of being part of a tactical structure that saw our all our midfielders contribute something tangible to the game and us look like we actually have a midfield that can play some football.
I'd agree, he was decent, but that isn't good enough for a player the cost and caliber of Ndombele.

I also don't buy the justification that this was Liverpool and that we aren't going to play teams as difficult for them every week. Playing against them yesterday didn't seem to be an issue for many other people on the team, but it's a justification for Tanguy?

But do we honestly know that he was given a more defensively minded role in that game, or was it that he just was nowhere near as active and progressive? When we won the ball, Winks and Dele instantly moved forward and Tanguy was nowhere near as high up the pitch and often was nowhere near involved in the transition.

For being often the deepest-lying midfielder, maybe given more defensive responsibilities, and putting in the same amount of pressures he only had 2 defensive actions, compared to 5 for Winks and 8 for Dele.

I'd agree, he was decent, but that isn't good enough for a player the cost and caliber of Ndombele.

I also don't buy the justification that this was Liverpool and that we aren't going to play teams as difficult for them every week. Playing against them yesterday didn't seem to be an issue for many other people on the team, but it's a justification for Tanguy?

No, I said he created one of our goals with a superb pass and was also competent/decent generally. There's a subtle difference, but an important one. And I wasn't saying it was Liverpool, that's an excuse to be shit, I don't think he was. I'm saying most weeks he'll be more involved (again, he completed 3 fewer passes than Alli and was on the pitch 16 minutes less).

I'm saying he may not of caught the eye as much as Alli, but he produced something that actually counted.

And pressures are defensive actions, and he did more per minute than Winks.

So to summarise. I'm not getting carried away. I'm not saying it was an outstanding performance or even a great one. But it was a decent/competent, gilded by a moment of excellence that changed the game for us, as part of a structure which was incredibly effective. And that's OK. Some reason for optimism.

Really can't figure out if Tanguy is unmotivated/not physically fit/unhappy or whatever. It's difficult to say and probablay not fair to him to say he's this or that without him telling us exactly what's on his mind. What we know when he's on the pitch for the most part he looks sluggish when not showing spurts of talent. We all had hope he would become the player we all thought he could be but just don't see how he fits in Conte's system.

He's going to produce moments of brilliance at times but his over all impact is a net negative more often than not so he's gotta go.

Then you are categorically wrong.

About what? .....This retort doesn't make any sense considering what you're quoting.

You were playing he "so what you're saying is.... " game. I rightfully rejected that as you putting words in my mouth.

So without Ndombele we dont score the first goal

Not been denied.

An assist alone =/= a performance.

Dele has been heavily critiqued on this basis in the past (as has Kane, Son and they play positions that are far weighted in attacking responsibility); thus certainly no reason TN shouldn't be held to such a standard/

and Skipp made no positive difference in the goalscoring when he came on.

Yet we scored after TN went off. Did he create any other big chances in the 55 minutes between Kane's goal and getting subbed off?

Pressure, intensity and pressing lead to the kind of errors that saw us equalize..... Hardly TN's forte.

Ndombele also not responsible in any of the goals conceded.

Yet was at times culpable in creating danger at the wrong end and failing to help the defensive side of our game.

Logically his assist helped in getting the draw.

"Helped"; yes.... Exclusively; which was the original thrust of your contention... NO.

Even the second goal we scored was from their error rather than any great pass played.

(See above)

There isnt even a need to distract from Ndombele.

Yet Davies; the cult of Winks, etc. have nothing to do with TNs performance.....

He was average. Nothing great , helped in getting us a point.

.......And it is completely beyond your comprehension that Dele & Winks were in fact better than "average".

Upon this being quantified initially by me saying TN was our worst MF you swooped in with "Yeh, but TAA got a shot off and his [Winks's] forward passing wasn't the right kind" and "Dele had a shot saved".

Hugo made a couple of killer blocks.... I don't see people inventing pathetic accolades like "assist leader of the game" for him.

You suggest (see below) I have trouble acknowledging simple truths; but you're exhibiting that very trait....

The team as a whole played well. Some individuals were better than "average".... Apparently that later part irks you to the point of 2 pages worth of debate and tangient.

The only ones hating him right now are the ones who usually hate him anyway.

Again; not sure what this is a response to..... It's a pretty abstract comment in the context of this discussion.... Why would you think I'm accusing you of hating TN? That makes no sense.

There is 100% a group of winks lovers who defend him like a cult after every game when its obvious he is shit.

I don't care... Take that up with them.... Whoever your boogie-men are.....

Davies did fuck up and played a big part in giving the first goal away.
Dele's finishing was extremely poor in the chance he had and also fucked up the pass to Kane.

Then take it to the Davies thread. That has no bearing on how well TN performed over his 70-odd minutes.

Why do you have a problem with simple truths.

(See above)...... In the words of that cunt Baddiel "That's YOU that is."

There is no need to pretend it didnt happen.

FFS..... Shall I get a "Ndombele got an assist vs the dippers" tattoo? ......Will he be finally be sufficiently honoured then?

Frankly bored and exhausted by this circular blow-fest now so respectfully bowing out.

So?

Not even our best MF on the day..... Let alone best player.

"Spurs’ match assist leader."

"Intensity is just Body language"

"Only player not to be losing during the game"
(*Even though we equalised 5 minutes after they went 2-1 up!)

LOL..... The state of these hollow accolades you're concocting. Absolutely tragic!!!

- Fact-check on that one btw.... Lucas & Reg also fit that description; so you fail even harder there too.

LOL.. You fraud... You're a massive stat-muncher when it suits you and routinely roll out hipster graphs etc.

"Asking" would suggest a question would it not?

You've just descended into word-salad at this point.

You're a full-blown cultist.... You're beyond hope.
I know facts can be inconvenient.

I’ll take an unhurried, jazzy talent over an intense (WhateverTF that means) player that’s shit.

And before you get your fancy panties in a bunch XX, I know what is meant when intensity is mentioned. Just like a know what is meant when a player is called “lazy”. Or when Zest Zest talks about multiverses or magnesium intake or Bigfoot.

Naby Keita cost nearly as much as Ndombele and he hasn’t exactly forced his way into the Dippers’ first 11.

KDB and Salah didn’t exactly hit the ground running at their first PL clubs, and they weren’t even necessarily caught in a battle between manager(s) + DOFs.

I'm not even cherry picking the bad statistics from yesterday, the other stats aren't any better for Tanguy.

Shots on TargetKey PassesPassing AccuracyTouches
Ndombele0168.8%30
Dele1166.7%49
Winks0179.4%79

DribblesFouledDispossessedBad Control
Ndombele0022
Dele5132
Winks1201

TacklesInterceptionsClearancesBlocked Shots
Ndombele0110
Dele0440
Winks1013

PassesLong BallLB AccuracyThrough BallTB Accuracy
Ndombele160021
Dele212110
Winks6314831

You can't actually overcome the skillful highlight reel fuelled delusion with mere facts.

Off the ball he is one of the worst players I've ever seen and if they still can't tell that he can't really be arsed, there's no point in statistics.

69r6084.png

Thanks for the effort of your reply Blakey.... However; I'm exhausted by this go-no-where roundabout for now...... In no small part thanks to the dubiously selective attitude a few others have towards when stats and graphs are or aren't considered fair game; but also due to a large dose of what-about-ism.

[Quite amusing that in one post you've articulated more than the bulk of the "Phwoooooar that assist!!!!" ramblings over the last few pages..... You actually made a case for there being an actual performance there beyond 1 mere pass. Props for that.]

2 things i will say (as brief as possible):

1. These pages of assist talk are a red-herring; I'm not trying to saddle him with the burden of being our creative genius. Regardless; assessing him in isolation from what does or doesn't constitute the rest of his game, he clearly has an eye for a pass.... I haven't and shan't question that.

2. If he's not gonna get on the ball; not gonna help retain the ball or resist the oppo press etc. etc.; if he's gonna function as little more than a non-tackling defensive shield then we might as well play a player whom suits that roll more appropriately.; be that Skipp or someone we've yet to have on the books.

If he's not starting off counters, retaining the ball and succeeding in the odd mazey fwd dribble to help get us up the pitch then I'm not sure what core attributes he stands to bring to the table ahead of a more bespoke individual.

Unsurprised at Blakey defending him after bigging him up with unsurprisingly multiple paragraphs since fuck knows when because he's another online internet wonderscout.

Lol@ChatshitBoZo btw who was digging statistics out left and right about Aurier and making a bit of a fool of himself.

Unsurprised at Blakey defending him after bigging him up with unsurprisingly multiple paragraphs since fuck knows when because he's another online internet wonderscout.

Lol@ChatshitBoZo btw who was digging statistics out left and right about Aurier and making a bit of a fool of himself.
👆👆👆 This “guy” talking about other posters “making fools of themselves” is adorable.

I know facts can be inconvenient.

It's not even all factual as I showed.

"Up next; the best goalkeeper in a spurs shirt on the day award goes to....."

:angryscouser:

I’ll take an unhurried, jazzy talent over an intense (WhateverTF that means) player that’s shit.

HAHAH.... TN is "Jazzy" now.

You talk so much guff.

No-one claimed "intensity" as a sole attribute was virtuous; TN's performance was simply criticised for a lack of it and you meandered off into excuse-land saying that that was just his body language....

Naby Keita cost nearly as much as Ndombele and he hasn’t exactly forced his way into the Dippers’ first 11.

£££ tangent now?

Stay on track if you can, fella.

KDB and Salah didn’t exactly hit the ground running at their first PL clubs, and they weren’t even necessarily caught in a battle between manager(s) + DOFs.

Manager excuse again?

LOL.... Meme-tastic.

[Take a look bus-conductor bus-conductor 's post...... That's how you make a case, Mr Fluffy.]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom