Tanguy Ndombele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Always loved Tango for his ability and natural wizardry on the ball (beautiful assist, today).

But I just can't see Conte persisting with his lack of intensity.

You have to play with a constant hunger; and this guy often plays like he's had an all-you-can-eat buffet right before the game.

I really want him to come good, as he is our only real creativity in MF. But I worry about his lack of 'getting stuck in' and how he loses possession when harried by the opposition (happened quite a bit yesterday).
I'm not quite ready to give up on him yet, but think he needs to show some gumption to stay in the team.

I must have watched a different match. I thought Tanguy was good. His assist to Kane was outstanding.

That assist was good and accurate. Agreed.

But tell me honestly, would you say his net impact was more positive or negative?
What I mean is - if you give an assist, but otherwise fail to retain the ball in midfield, lose ball constantly there to put team under pressure in defense... then have you done more good or more bad?

I think I've finally just given up on him ever being the player that we have all wanted to see him be, and I just don't think it's ever going to work out for us. I don't know if it's fully his fault as it's been turmoil for most of the time he's been here. It's now three managers who apparently don't rate him and just doesn't show any ability to adapt to a slightly different role or system. It's almost like you need to build the team around his best role instead of him being able to fit the tactics.

From a technical perspective he is so far ahead of the rest of our midfield, but the work level and adaptability just isn't there.

Eh? That fact doesn't make his performance any better..... Finishing let us down; we weren't struggling to create.

The other 2 MFs were both much better.
But that was the 1 of the 2 easiest chances we created. No height to jump to, just slightly ahead of him . If that pass wasnt made, we lose.

The other 2 werent 'much better'. Winks had his best game in ages and did very well lumping the ball over liverpools pushed up backline. But he still had his poor moments when he didnt close down TAA for a shot and another time when he gave the ball away in midfield and caused a bad counter. Dele also messed up that easy pass to Kane and also that very easy goalscoring opportunity from Son's pass. 'Much better' is a bit of a strech.

Problem with Ndombele is that he is a midfield version of Kane. You can hear creaking when these two run.

Last edited:
He had an assist.
All his other crap is now null and void, and he was a 7

Without Ndombele we’d have lost 2-1
What an important and improved performance, I’m pretty certain he’ll go on a run now and probably get 24 more assists this season

I just might have to pay for Opta (or whatever) Premier just to see the distance covered stats to refute this biased “he’s lazy/disinterested” horseshit once an for all.

Honestly, I'd be very interested to see the stats, but my feeling is that this is far more about what impact he has on the game than the actual amount of ground covered. Let's say for a moment that he covered the same distance as Winks yesterday. Can you honestly compare the level of intensity or effectiveness between the two, or even Dele for that matter?

The better and more important statistic is that he has had three managers and he's never been really in favor with any of them.

I think I've finally just given up on him ever being the player that we have all wanted to see him be, and I just don't think it's ever going to work out for us. I don't know if it's fully his fault as it's been turmoil for most of the time he's been here. It's now three managers who apparently don't rate him and just doesn't show any ability to adapt to a slightly different role or system. It's almost like you need to build the team around his best role instead of him being able to fit the tactics.

From a technical perspective he is so far ahead of the rest of our midfield, but the work level and adaptability just isn't there.
When you catch a glimpse of what he’s capable of, it’s a crying shame his attitude doesn’t match his obvious ability. How can you waste that talent?

The better and more important statistic is that he has had three managers and he's never been really in favor with any of them.
This myth has been proven to be a lie many times

Played 5th highest number of league games last year of all our players which included the masons mates fiasco. Started more games than Locelso, Dele and Winks all put together.

Nuno barely lasted here and Conte hasnt been here long at all.

Not that Im saying he has been good but theres just no need to stick to this false claim .

This myth has been proven to be a lie many times

Played 5th highest number of league games last year of all our players which included the masons mates fiasco. Started more games than Locelso, Dele and Winks all put together.

Nuno barely lasted here and Conte hasnt been here long at all.

Not that Im saying he has been good but theres just no need to stick to this false claim .

I said "in favor". Lo Celso was injured probably 50% of the time, Winks and Dele was typically complete liabilities every time they were on the pitch, and was so bad that Sissoko was the next most-played midfielder (aside from someone like say Lucas who traditionally plays much higher). All three managers made public comments either about his fitness, intensity, desire, or somethingsimilar.

So, congratulations to Tanguy. He was the better option last year to a lame Lo Celso, and Moussa Sissoko.

But that was the 1 of the 2 easiest chances we created. No height to jump to, just slightly ahead of him . If that pass wasnt made, we lose.

It was a nice assist..... I won't pretend otherwise, but It doesn't mean the deficiencies in the rest of his performance weren't detrimental to our collective effort; so to accredit him with our point is a bogus over-simplification.

The other 2 werent 'much better'. Winks had his best game in ages and did very well lumping the ball over liverpools pushed up backline. But he still had his poor moments when he didnt close down TAA for a shot and another time when he gave the ball away in midfield and caused a bad counter. Dele also messed up that easy pass to Kane and also that very easy goalscoring opportunity from Son's pass. 'Much better' is a bit of a strech.

Depends what you want from a MF over the proverbial 90minutes....

Ndombele was still a ghost for large spells and on one occasion lay on the floor blatantly pretending to be hurt to avoid trying to recover ball he'd lost to one of their lot in a dangerous area.

As for Dele: What you're calling a miss most actually consider a damn good save.

Problem with Ndombele is that he is a midfield version of Kane. You can hear creaking when these two run.

Sadly for him though; a top manager requires their MF to run.

I said "in favor". Lo Celso was injured probably 50% of the time, Winks and Dele was typically complete liabilities every time they were on the pitch, and was so bad that Sissoko was the next most-played midfielder (aside from someone like say Lucas who traditionally plays much higher). All three managers made public comments either about his fitness, intensity, desire, o r somethingsimilar.

So, congratulations to Tanguy. He was the better option last year to a lame Lo Celso, and Moussa Sissoko.
But he was still 'in favor' under mourinho if he was played almost every single game. The fitness and intensity thing , I agree with.

I really want him to come good, as he is our only real creativity in MF. But I worry about his lack of 'getting stuck in' and how he loses possession when harried by the opposition (happened quite a bit yesterday).
I'm not quite ready to give up on him yet, but think he needs to show some gumption to stay in the team.

He's not even the 'ball sticks to him like glue' guy anymore.

I keep saying it but you can't afford to play Ozil at CM in this league and that's exactly where we're at with him.

Back
Top Bottom