The “They’re really going to have a World Cup in QATAR?” Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That's wonderful Roy, but like Neville, Linekar and all the rest, you could have stayed at home and used the platform the game has afforded you to boycott it.

....And seeing as ITV see fit to clip and re-tweet his comments, they could have opted to take a stand too.
Pundits' contracts are with stations/channels/studios, not with FIFA or the host nation(s).

TV stations/channels' contracts are with FIFA, not the host nation(s).

Corporate sponsors' licensing/exclusivity deals are with FIFA, not the host nation(s).

Any/all friction is welcome tbh...... But yeh I otherwise doubt the various FAs want to rock the boat to much... Much like the English FA a lot of it will be about optics and covering all bases. They'd have all stepped up months ago otherwise.
Qatar were awarded this tournament 12 years ago.

Only in the last few months have we seen a real ramping up of sponsors 'pressure', one love arm bands, FAs not sending dignitaries, players speaking out (some not), etc, etc, etc.

Oh and some have said they're not watching it.

Too little, too late IMO. Apparently watching the football 'legitimises the corrupt and disgusting farce'... sorry that's a load of bollocks.

Enjoy the football!!

Still struggling with the commentary here. So far the pundits have called wing backs "running backs" at least twice and has also let us know that "the most important match" in this "awesome tourney" is usa vs England . The most " important and anticipated" game. Forget the final....

Last edited:
And another one.

aGE12L7_700bwp.webp
What's Arabic for Gestapo?

Only because of Fifa threatening them.

This could have worked out a lot better for Fifa if they waited to years after the bid was accepted and made Qatar accept things like LGBT flags/slogans or risk losing the World Cup. See how much the Qataris wanted it
But they're happy to make promises which will be broken just before the tournament starts...ie the beer ban brought on 2 days before the tournament. Most of these Arab states just do what they want if required by Sheikh Rattle al Roll or whatever his name is....

But they're happy to make promises which will be broken just before the tournament starts...ie the beer ban brought on 2 days before the tournament. Most of these Arab states just do what they want if required by Sheikh Rattle al Roll or whatever his name is....

lol They didn't break the promise, that's always been their stance.

FIFA just wanted to sell tickets...

lol They didn't break the promise, that's always been their stance.

FIFA just wanted to sell tickets...
It's all too ridiculous....I'm still waiting for the thought police to come on the pitch and arrest celebrating players after a goal by hugging.....

The World Cup being held in Qatar is brilliant.

OAPs can watch all of the games, so can people on benefits, the unemployed, people who work from home and anyone who takes a sicky. ie, almost everyone.

Why don't they always hold it in Qatar?

Edit: and all the stadiums are near to each other.

and it will help them to be nicer to minorities.

and you can get your Christmas stuff done inbetween games.

and they wouldn't need to have that fucking FIFA farce of deciding who will be next to host it.

and and and

Last edited:

I never thought I'd say this, but I love Germany.
Are they referring to an armband or their country's non-action against Russia?

Accidentally clicked on this thread and wow....just another reminder of how completely outrageously we get fucked over at sporting events in the US.

To prepare you for 2026, this isn't even expensive by US sporting event standards. I pay higher prices than all of this at our 2nd division local "soccer" club. So 2nd rate of what's considered a 2nd class sport. Last MLB game I went to I paid over $17/beer.

Back
Top Bottom