The “They’re really going to have a World Cup in QATAR?” Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He basically just said, that all the western nations are more guilty than Qatar because of colonialism and what not.

If we had any integrity the european and NA participants would withdraw right now.

63984-dc92be1d-3b21-451e-8026-7a63d2295cb1.jpeg

You would hope so, but the fact is, both these things were happening.
In the 1970s I spoke to my mother about why nobody in her village (about 700 inhabitants) said or asked anything when one or two Jewish families were suddenly "picked up".
She told me nobody said anything because there was a fear that one would also be "picked up".

The Nazi system was simple.
It wasn't primarily the "Gestapo" that people were afraid of.
Not tens of thousands of people worked there.
It was the informers.
They delivered others to the knife.

I am very interested in this period of my country.
It is inconceivable to me that the reports about the conditions in Germany outside of the country were for many fairy tales or lies - one obviously could not imagine the factory-like murder of people by people?
When evidence was presented, didn't you want to admit it?

One of those people who tortured people to death was an SS man named Sommer.
He was "responsible" for the arrest in the Buchenwald concentration camp.
This bastard is well described in the book "Nackt unter Wölfen" by Bruno Apitz, which is well worth reading.
After the war, the pig lived in a retirement home and let the sun shine on his head.

In the now wonderfully democratic Federal Republic of Germany, the officials, public prosecutors and judges who were important for the Nazi regime continued to make their careers.

The Attorney General of Hesse, Mr Fritz Bauer, was attacked for his conduct of the "Auschwitz Trial". Hostile as a former concentration camp prisoner and homosexual.

A bugger! Even with some rats that are still alive today.

To me a man I thank for doing what he did. Also all those who were tortured and/or murdered because of their sincerity in the concentration camps and Gestapo cellars.

Why am I writing all this now? I am a simple man. I didn't have a great education, but after nine years of school I had to start my apprenticeship and then earn money because we were quite poor. If we had been rich, I would have had to get an education too because I wasn't smart enough to go to college. So I'm only writing this because even an uneducated being like me, who doesn't express himself so eloquently, can see that systems that violate human rights are not allowed to win and that we should (have to?!) cry out with our knowledge - no matter how limited - so that those affected in these systems know that they are not alone.

(Forgive my excursion into my youth - my fingers flew across the keyboard and did what they will.)

The evolution of a culture takes time and people will not change their opinions overnight. Much of the African, Caribbean and Islamic world is intolerant of homosexuality.

We can continue to shut them out, or we can invite them in and see if they embrace acceptance over time.

Take WWE wrestling for instance. For many years they have been holding events in Saudi Arabia. In the beginning females were banned from performing, fast forward 4 years and not only are females performing but this year they had the longest match on the card.

Trying to force people to change their views never ever works, and usually evokes more divisiveness. For instance; Black Lives Matter / Say No To Racism has further divided race relations, not brought them together.

Like Saudi, Qatar has a long-term economic plan to open to tourism and diversify their economy. This isn't a 5 year plan, it's a 20 year plan. Its probable that some of these middle eastern states will become entertainment hubs; hosting the biggest concerts, best restaurants and luxury travel.

Alcohol and Drugs is a huge problem in western society, destroying many lives. I fully understand any developing country wanting to restrict abuse. How many of you wish you had never touched the stuff but are now addicted?
They bought the tournament, you're argument was somewhat understood for Russia (and to a lesser extent South Africa) its the fact they have these values that go against the stated values of Fifa with little or no sporting or social political reason that justify the 'cost' is the reason. In the context of a football tournament there is every reason to be angry.

Fifa statute article 3.
3 Non-discrimination and stance against racism
Discrimination of any kind against a Country, private person or group of
people on account of race, skin colour, ethnic, national or social origin, gender,
language, religion, political opinion or any other opinion, wealth, birth or any
other status, sexual orientation or any other reason is strictly prohibited and
punishable by suspension or expulsion.

Actually, thinking about it, Infantino might be even worse than his predecessors.

He’s had the opportunity and years to move the World Cup away from Qatar given the blatant bribery and human rights issues but he has refused to. He’s basically said that FIFA is more than open to doing business with the worst as long as the price is right. Fuck him.

Yep... The door was left wide open for him to pull the plug on this mess when he first got the job, but he's doubled down and shown himself to be a thoroughly delusional & mercenary cunt.

Some things are bigger than football.

If these England players had ANY decency they would refuse to play imo.

I would rather see them do that and be able to hold their heads high and set an example than play but that's just me.

Some people think football is more important.

Back
Top Bottom