The “They’re really going to have a World Cup in QATAR?” Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I actually changed my post, it's up to the FA, not the team, but the point stands.

Why do we have to follow what others do, why not set an example, and what a good one it would be.
Well, the England team sitting it out would be up to the FA yeah, but individual players could have the integrity to make a stand and withdraw themselves from selection. We all know they won't though.

I actually changed my post, it's up to the FA, not the team, but the point stands.

Why do we have to follow what others do, why not set an example, and what a good one it would be.

German FA were happy to protest Hungary over homophobia during the Euros.... Shouldn't the same principles apply to Qatar/WC?

I'm suprised (not!) to see the EPL (and other major leagues) bending over to allow their seasons to be majorly disrupted in December (especially the EPLs trademark 'Busy Xmas fixture list).....

The pay-offs must have been tasty as hell!

Last edited:
Well, the England team sitting it out would be up to the FA yeah, but individual players could have the integrity to make a stand and withdraw themselves from selection. We all know they won't though.
As Groucho Marx said

'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others '

It does seem a bit two faced by the current players admittedly.

You can find much more hypocrisy in the city than in sport. The amount of money being hidden in London by various means is disgusting.

I feel I am able to talk out about homophobia while also actively trying to sell to a Qatar bank, support human rights while selling to a Chinese bank.

It's the world we live in, we could all do more but that doesn't belittle the actions we take.

As Groucho Marx said

Doesn't sit well with the current BLM and anti discrimination situation?
Thatcher wanted the Olympic team to boycott the Russian Olympics like US did but they decided to take part...making Allan Wells the last white man to win the 100 meters!!

ps He also beat all the top Americans at a meeting two weeks after the Olympics!

You can find much more hypocrisy in the city than in sport. The amount of money being hidden in London by various means is disgusting.

I feel I am able to talk out about homophobia while also actively trying to sell to a Qatar bank, support human rights while selling to a Chinese bank.

It's the world we live in, we could all do more but that doesn't belittle the actions we take.
As Groucho Marx said

In ref to the players; there's an 'practical' logic that they're taking a stand about the suffering of their colleagues; as opposed to waging a campaign against Qatar.....

Not saying they couldn't ideally do both but it's understandable that they're fighting what's right in their face before looking further afield.

(Personally I think the FA, leagues and other feds should be spearheading any action over the Qatar/WC.)

In ref to the players; there's an 'practical' logic that they're taking a stand about the suffering of their colleagues; as opposed to waging a campaign against Qatar.....

Not saying they couldn't ideally do both but it's understandable that they're fighting what's right in their face before looking further afield.
To be fair, I doubt many of the players are even aware of any issues relating to Qatar.

Also nice to see some real comments coming from the likes of Kane, Rashford and Mings over the last 24 hours, as opposed to the standard lip service ghost written statements you usually get.

England captain Harry Kane openly stating that the perpetrators aren't England fans and that the players don't want them does much more for the cause than kneeling for a few seconds before a game IMO.

Call out the idiots directly, might not alter the views of the idiots but will have a lot of sway with the next generation I imagine. For all the good intentions of taking the knee, if anything the racist abuse seems to be becoming more and more common, so relatively passive symbolic solidarity doesn't seem to be having the desired affect.

To be fair, I doubt many of the players are even aware of any issues relating to Qatar.

Also nice to see some real comments coming from the likes of Kane, Rashford and Mings over the last 24 hours, as opposed to the standard lip service ghost written statements you usually get.

England captain Harry Kane openly stating that the perpetrators aren't England fans and that the players don't want them does much more for the cause than kneeling for a few seconds before a game IMO.

Call out the idiots directly, might not alter the views of the idiots but will have a lot of sway with the next generation I imagine. For all the good intentions of taking the knee, if anything the racist abuse seems to be becoming more and more common, so relatively passive symbolic solidarity doesn't seem to be having the desired affect.

I agree with most of this, but even in stadiums (forget the distraction tactics of people claiming "Russian bots") things were on the increase long before G.Floyd/TheKnee.

German FA were happy to protest Hungary over homophobia during the Euros.... Shouldn't the same principles apply to Qatar/WC?

I'm suprised (not!) to see the EPL (and other major leagues) bending over to allow their seasons to be majorly disrupted in December (especially the EPLs trademark 'Busy Xmas fixture list).....

The pay-offs must have been tasty as hell!
I'll probably get pelted for this but fuck it.

The hypocrisy of the taking the knee is, in this case, staggering.
The FA puts out a statement saying explicitly that the taking of the knee is nothing to do with BLM but is about equality and justice for all.
They then sanction this World Cup by sending a team to a country where being homosexual is illegal and is punished with imprisonment.

Either the FA or the players should boycott it. The same goes for other countries that supported the rainbow movement/colours.

Every single one of them should be ashamed of themselves.

I'll probably get pelted for this but fuck it.

The hypocrisy of the taking the knee is, in this case, staggering.
The FA puts out a statement saying explicitly that the taking of the knee is nothing to do with BLM but is about equality and justice for all.
They then sanction this World Cup by sending a team to a country where being homosexual is illegal and is punished with imprisonment.

Either the FA or the players should boycott it. The same goes for other countries that supported the rainbow movement/colours.

Every single one of them should be ashamed of themselves.

I largely concur..... Caveat being the issue doesn't lie with taking the knee.... The Qatar WC is deplorable regardless.

Let's be honest here; we've got Sterling, Foden, Walker, Stones all being paid by Abu Dhabi FC.....

The game has crossed a line... I fucking hate it.

Last edited:
Yes the fans, they will have a great time in Qatar I'm sure, as long as they aren't gay, or women, or want to drink, and don't get on the wrong side of the fuzz who may well lop off their hands... but atleast they might be able to walk between stadia...

Such a good choice to host in Qatar over Australia...

Edit: I do appreciate that your post is knowingly scraping the barrel to find a silver lining btw.

Thanks for the edit. I was starting to wish I'd never mentioned it :pochcmon:

I've mentioned it before a few times here but I recommend this to everyone. Very relevant and genuinely shocking IMO.

1471149374.jpg

Back
Top Bottom