The boo-boys of White Hart Lane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Also, i have a question.

When was the first time you heard booing at football?

To me, it definitely feels like a modern thing. The massive dehumanisation of footballers we have in this day and age makes football feel like a trip to the cinema or something.
People don't go to a theatre and boo if someone messes up a line. Because you'd look like a massive cunt and those are actual human beings upon that stage.
Similarly, if you were sat at your desk and accidentally deleted and excel file or something, you wouldn't take kindly to someone in the office booing you either. Weird that some people think its acceptable at football though.

I just don't understand it. Yeah, its expensive these days, but when you spend the £50, you're paying that money to watch a football match. Not to watch your team win. You pay that money with the explicit understanding that they might not win.
I started going in the late 80s and can't remember the crowd booing the team as such. Occasional booing of a bad sub or something, but I can remember some terrible results and cant remember any reaction like there was Saturday.
I am not convinced that this is down to a modern trend towards dehumanizing footballers though, as I do remember frequent monkey noises, gestures, and bananas thrown at players of the opposition, and sometimes our own team

Last edited:
People have every right to boo. Some people take this supporting thing far too seriously.
You have the right. You have the right to cheer on the opposition or to spend the match on your iPhone. That's not the question, the question is whether it is constructive or not

I think the booing was realization that it's another false dawn (from the booers perspective).

People were begging for Bentaleb to sign his contract and get better and better. It's been Harry Kane mania and this was supposed to be Pochs first proper season since Soldado, Chiriches etc are gone and we look just like we did results wise as the Townsend and Paulinho era.

So the booing was IMO idiots reacting to a false dawn waaaay to early.

IMO we have an amazing team. I don't think the false dawn is player based. I think it's Lev based. I hate booers, I can't stand people calling our players cunts in match threads etc.

I do think managers deserve to be heckled from the stands or in threads. That is part of thier job, to shield players from blame

So my stance is no to booing. Yes to protesting managers and owners.

Lev may have picked another Lemon with Poch. His record with Santini, Ramos, AVB, Hoddle...

I'm all for giving Poch his whole contract to prove me wrong. And I hope I am wrong, but I think Lev should be removed from any footballing decisions and only be a money man. All that talk about committees deciding players and managers, he should not be a part of it.

This is my first month of being anti Lev. I posted a while back that this managerial appointment would be the straw that breaks the camels back for me Lev wise. And so far Poch is likeable but he's being outmanaged. Early days. But this is the boo thread right?

You have the right. You have the right to cheer on the opposition or to spend the match on your iPhone. That's not the question, the question is whether it is constructive or not

Well in this instance its irrellevant. The American chap who is moaning says he heard it at the end of the game so it had no effect on the outcome. Constructive or not.

I don't think booing has any effect anyway. If it did why does it not work in the reverse way when the opposition is booed?

As I said the real problem is people taking their support of a football team far too seriously and it clouds their mind to the extant that they actually think they can influence a game positively or negatively.

Well in this instance its irrellevant. The American chap who is moaning says he heard it at the end of the game so it had no effect on the outcome. Constructive or not.

I don't think booing has any effect anyway. If it did why does it not work in the reverse way when the opposition is booed?

As I said the real problem is people taking their support of a football team far too seriously and it clouds their mind to the extant that they actually think they can influence a game positively or negatively.
All players say that the crowd affects their performance. Some players say they like playing at some grounds because of the booing and abuse they get, if you are off that type of mentality it might spur you on. I have played infront of a crowd of about 200, never got booed, but the cheering definitely improved my performance. Can't understand how you think that a crowd doesn't affect the performance of a team. Logic and the testimony of every single professional player suggests the reverse.

All players say that the crowd affects their performance. Some players say they like playing at some grounds because of the booing and abuse they get, if you are off that type of mentality it might spur you on. I have played infront of a crowd of about 200, never got booed, but the cheering definitely improved my performance. Can't understand how you think that a crowd doesn't affect the performance of a team. Logic and the testimony of every single professional player suggests the reverse.

Sure the crowd can be used to spur you on and the atmosphere can generate an impetus but it doesn't make you a better player. Most of the players I read say they don't hear the crowd they are too busy concentrating on the match.

Its all in their minds but unless i missed something the op and the others were basically saying fans that go to games are wankers and they should go because they are better supporters or something.

Tbh honest I don't boo and I am pretty sure I will never sit in the Park Lane ever again to the extant that if I was offered a free ticket to sit there I probably wouldn't go because of its negativity but I still don't think this should be an excuse for the dross we've been served up for the last 3 or 4 seasons. Ultimately its up to the players and manager to generate the atmosphere they feel is best for them mentally.

Sure the crowd can be used to spur you on and the atmosphere can generate an impetus but it doesn't make you a better player. Most of the players I read say they don't hear the crowd they are too busy concentrating on the match.

Its all in their minds but unless i missed something the op and the others were basically saying fans that go to games are wankers and they should go because they are better supporters or something.

Tbh honest I don't boo and I am pretty sure I will never sit in the Park Lane ever again to the extant that if I was offered a free ticket to sit there I probably wouldn't go because of its negativity but I still don't think this should be an excuse for the dross we've been served up for the last 3 or 4 seasons. Ultimately its up to the players and manager to generate the atmosphere they feel is best for them mentally.
I think the point of the article was that there is something like a 10 year waiting list for season tickets, if you don't enjoy going and feel the experience is that bad that you actually have to boo, don't go: simple. Plenty of other people that actually want to go.
If you think that the last 3-4 seasons have been uninterrupted dross, as has been said above, you don't remember the 90s.

I think the point of the article was that there is something like a 10 year waiting list for season tickets, if you don't enjoy going and feel the experience is that bad that you actually have to boo, don't go: simple. Plenty of other people that actually want to go.
If you think that the last 3-4 seasons have been uninterrupted dross, as has been said above, you don't remember the 90s.

I was a season ticket in the 90's whats that got to do with anything?

I was a season ticket in the 90's whats that got to do with anything?
TPZqlqq.png

72m4eMF.png

Last edited:
I'm sick of all the whingeing. I remember going to a game against Benfica, I think, where a dude sitting in front of me was slagging off players from the first minute. If I wanted to spend 90 minutes hearing people cunt off spurs players I would go to the Emirates.

I don't care if we're shit, I really don't. All I read on this forum is "this or that isn't acceptable" but we have no choice to accept or not. Let's just go and support the team and have a laugh.

Or come on here!

5th and 6th mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. And those stats don't show the style of play either.

Remember the days when we used to play 2 up front at home?

Ahhh. Memories.
So you would happily finish 15th and win 10 games all season if we played two upfront and with a more attacking style? I disagree, but each to his own. This era of football might not be for you. As the article says, if you don't enjoy it, don't watch it. Try ice hockey or basketball. Or maybe go and watch the Orient. I think they play two upfront.

What is this " Night of the long knifes " ?
It is there right to express their opinion good or bad . Emotions may run far deeper
and far more complicated than simply a bad result or performance.
The club in the present climate divides the core support . I understand a bit of booing
is not pleasant but it may be some way these people can show their frustration of the
continue failure of the club in their eyes .
Really the article is rather juvenile , simplistic and reflects the bland globalisation of "game " .
What shall we do , fill it with endless happy clappy morons , wearing extreme amounts
of club tat , throw anybody out who disagrees with party line , ban Star of David's , whoops
we've already done that . The powers above would love that .
My point is many do not find the Spurs experience a pleasant trip but they love the
club just as much as the next person and there layers of frustration are far deeper
than just a bad result . To purge them out ( since they can be a huge element , shekels
come first to the money men ) would be morally wrong and feed the corrupt.

Last edited:
Negativity breeds negativity. If people come on here being boring miserable cunts, and other people join in, its just going to get more boring, more miserable, and more cuntish. Id much rather have a bunch of people saying "ah fuck it we lost, but I'm pissed and I've lost my voice from singing the whole game. Cant wait till next weekend to do it all again".

Its all a bit utopian though isnt it? Its a forum, and we have thousands of different types of people here.

Football crowds have changed dramatically over the past few years..
I blame the CL, video games and Twitter.
CL has turned many into Melts who are obsessed with the diving cheating Uber clubs from Spain and Germany. Wanting to be a part of that Hollywood fake football is all that some can think of..The obsession with signing CL players is laughable..
I really enjoyed our season in the CL but to me it's not the be all and end all.
As for Twitter, All this does is encourages fans to troll one another and use words like Lolz..
I'm afraid you'll never beat the experience of standing on the terrace having a few beers before and after.. Those days were proper football..
Now it's booing, slagging the club off, Twitter and selfie sticks..
Huh Kids today..

I've definitely seen some performances when the team as a whole have given far less than 100%. West Brom away a couple of seasons ago springs to mind, when we were 3-0 down after about 20 minutes.

5-0 at home to Pool under AVB was possibly the most disgusting thing Ive ever witnessed.
How can anyone say they´ve never seen the team not try?

The boos were definitely deserved.

Fulham away in the cup when we lost 4-0 under Redknapp.
And on the contrary one of the best away days ever, the whole end bouncing up and down for 15 minutes chanting Yid Army Yid Army at 4-0..

Goes to show, when the shite is not the norm, the fans can get over a loss, and even laugh off a spanking.

What is this " Night of the long knifes " ?
It is there right to express their opinion good or bad . Emotions may run far deeper
and far more complicated than simply a bad result or performance.
The club in the present climate divides the core support . I understand a bit of booing
is not pleasant but it may be some way these people can show their frustration of the
continue failure of the club in their eyes .
Really the article is rather juvenile and reflects the bland globalisation of "game " .
What shall we do , fill it with endless happy clappy morons , wearing extreme amounts
of club tat , throw anybody out who disagrees with party line , ban Star of David's , whoops
we've already done that . The powers above would love that .
My point is many do not find the Spurs experience a pleasant trip but they love the
club just as much as the next person and there layers of frustration are far deeper
than just a bad result . To purge them out ( since they can be a huge element , shekels
come first to the money men ) would be morally wrong and feed the corrupt.
Ha ha, this post is that bizarre and rambling that it is worthy of a senile Castro himself; 'Night of the Long knifes (sic)', 'feed the corrupt'. Alright mate, all a bit dramatic, no? I can't understand paying money and spending your free-time doing something that brings you such unhappiness. But different strokes for different folks and all that. Some people enjoy being tied up and whipped, its not for me, but no one is proposing you be banned from it.

So you would happily finish 15th and win 10 games all season if we played two upfront and with a more attacking style? I disagree, but each to his own. This era of football might not be for you. As the article says, if you don't enjoy it, don't watch it. Try ice hockey or basketball. Or maybe go and watch the Orient. I think they play two upfront.

Deary me.

Back
Top Bottom