The Impact of Covid on Spurs & Football

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is that rule of 14 players actually real? My impression is that City had a much smaller number of players with Covid-19, yet their game was postponed - everything else is a consequence of that decision, one way or another.

It was reported in the Daily Mail at the beginning of the season.

But I don't think there's ever truly been confirmation by the FA or Premier League.

"The FA has told clubs taking part in the FA Cup third round they should field a team if they have at least 14 fit players, which can include youth team players, as they seek to avoid a fixture pile-up".

It´s probably a bit like the back-pass rule. It´s a rule, but nobody really cares.

"The FA has told clubs taking part in the FA Cup third round they should field a team if they have at least 14 fit players, which can include youth team players, as they seek to avoid a fixture pile-up".

It´s probably a bit like the back-pass rule. It´s a rule, but nobody really cares.

Or how long a goal keeper can hold on to the ball for. Refs never punish it.

Villa already have about 2 games in hand to play.

But their entire first 11 has either tested positive or isolating. So can't see Wednesdays game going ahead at all.

It seems unlikely but it depends on the test results next week. If they have 14 negative players they must play the match. If they can’t then they need to forfeit. We cannot postpone another game because a club lost control of their COVID protocol. I’d be saying the same thing if it were happening to us.

We’ll end up having to play 4 games in a week again during the most decisive phase of the season, not acceptable at all.

Villa already have about 2 games in hand to play.

But their entire first 11 has either tested positive or isolating. So can't see Wednesdays game going ahead at all.
Yes, that great idea of letting their Mancunian opponents and the other lot too have their first games postponed is going well for everybody, isn't it?

Unfortunately the PL has set the precedent with the previous postponements,the City-Everton game,our Fulham game,etc.
Just can't see our fixture with Villa going ahead and as people have said the fixture pileup is going to be unmanageable unless the Euros are postponed/cancelled. Realistically,that is the backstop.

They can move the fixture between teams not in Europe forward, and reschedule the fixture with team in Europe in that slot, where it's possible.

This mid week for example. Some teams should have played instead of resting. Or even getting some FA Cup games going early on Thursday.

Knowing them and their cash grabbing approach, they won't do it. Messing up schedule for teams like us, actually makes thing more entertaining thus more money for them.

Integrity of the sport my ass.

:parker:

Last edited:
Seems that Villa are content to play this game to clear more fixture pile up for themselves as they will push for Wednesday off IMO.
Yeah they will definitely be pushing not to play on Wednesday, it’s fine I’m sure we can play Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday , Saturday and Sunday all through April to catch up all these games

Seems that Villa are content to play this game to clear more fixture pile up for themselves as they will push for Wednesday off IMO.
Everything is wrong.

1 - I'm sure City could have played with their youth team against Everton. Why didn't they? Everything after it was a consequence of it.

2 - If Villa can play with a youth team tomorrow, they should be able to do the same thing six days from now. It's not acceptable to do a sacrifice in one competition because it's "less important", while being spared to play in the other one (five days later!!!). Wtf???

If they can string a team together for tomorrow. that same team can play Wednesday.
Aren't the (supposed) rules different? In the Pl if a team had 14 players from the 25 man PL squad then the game could be played. Although that seems to have changed for certain clubs recently. Isn't the FA cup rule if you have 14 from first team, U23 and U18 then it's game on.

Anyway I could well be wrong, but IMO villa seem happy to sacrifice the Cup.

So is this on the teams then?

I assume Villa WANT to play because of the future fixture pile up so will be go ahead.

Whereas as we know, Fulham decided they wanted to call our game off.

Villa will play their youth tomorrow, get knocked out, call off the midweek game and hope to play it in a future date where there's an opening due to FA Cup fixtures?

Back
Top Bottom