The mighty Spurs Vs Manu K.O: 16:30 Sunday 14th May

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Mullery, Hughton, Parks...
There were messages from Gazza, perryman, dawson mullery woodgate, klinnsama ( who's in Argentina ) etc on the OS and explanations as to their absence.
As for Bale, he's active player for Real Madrid Maybe injured but travel to London?
Have to ask why Lineker wasn't there, he's in the hall of fame.cant remember him leaving a message on the OS

There were messages from Gazza, perryman, dawson mullery woodgate, klinnsama ( who's in Argentina ) etc on the OS and explanations as to their absence.
As for Bale, he's active player for Real Madrid Maybe injured but travel to London?
Have to ask why Lineker wasn't there, he's in the hall of fame.cant remember him leaving a message on the OS
Aaah, OK, fair play on all counts there then.

I notice Stevie P's Exeter were in a play off first leg (drew 3-3 away to Carlisle) at the same time.

Apologies to all concerned

No Raziak or Fox?

I used to love Ruel. I had a Pony kit with "Fox 7" on the back.

I had the name and number done at WHL a while after I'd had the shirt, but must have still been around 1997. I vividly remember the club shop staff seemed puzzled why I'd chose his, but didn't care at the time.

Linekar is just a lug eared twat who thinks Leicester are now the big deal so he seems to have shunned us. Properly gone off him.

I doubt Bale cares either.

Would have loved to see Scotty out there, or Brad. Even Mason

Reliable decent player and all that, but I was surprised to see Simon Davies. Was he just the token Welsh midfielder with Bale otherwise engaged?

But was made up to see some of my childhood heroes Teddy, Darren Anderton (nice to see him not limping), Daveed.

Simon Davies lives near me and I was surprised to see him being interviewed in the local rag, where they ask random members of the public something about local issues, e.g. What do you think of a bypass.

The paper didn't realise he'd been famous at one point, I think his response was next to that of Maureen, retired teacher, 67.

Simon Davies lives near me and I was surprised to see him being interviewed in the local rag, where they ask random members of the public something about local issues, e.g. What do you think of a bypass.

The paper didn't realise he'd been famous at one point, I think his response was next to that of Maureen, retired teacher, 67.

"I almost made it as a footballer", said local businessman Simon, 37. "I mean I had contracts with clubs, but I was a bit shit", he mused "All the coaches I worked with said I could have been a cracking player if I wasn't shit".

I wasn't fussed to be honest, never really seen him as a Tottenham legend (neither do I have any love for Steven "Newcastle are a bigger club" Carr, but that's by the by), just one that briefly lit up a dark time for us. Couldn't wait to be gone, twice over. I've always felt we love him a thousand times more than he us. I doubt he gives us much thought to be perfectly honest

Fair enough. I've met plenty of younger fans who got into Spurs because of him. He's more a talisman than a legend. A lot of the nonsense that happened with him I lay at Sugar's door to be honest.

BTW If you go through his Twitter account, he does retweet/reference spurs a fair bit - I was pleasantly surprised.

Who the fuck manages to get themselves binned today!

Cant really be arsed to go through and see what occurred but I mean what sort of self absorbed prick do you need to be to get In a fucking row with another spurs fan on today of all days.

The sort that wished me cancer on more than one occasion and wanted to have a party at the Doctors appointment when it was diagnosed

BigLilyWhiteCock

You should receive a lifetime ban for that no matter what day it is!

Where the fuck was Sir Les?

What an incredible, emotional day we have ahead. Our final match at White Hart Lane, our home for 118 years. Unfortunately, some of the legendary figures of past and present will not be able to make it to The Lane, The Finale. Here are a few messages from those players whose heart will certainly be here today...

dawson_hs.jpg
MICHAEL DAWSON

324 appearances, 2005-2014

"The first thing I would say would be ‘thank you’. I’m sure they would say the same to the players for some of those memories, like the Woolwich 5-1 or the 9-1 against Wigan. It’s an amazing feeling to walk out at White Hart Lane. I’ve so many amazing memories. Everyone loves playing there. Everyone will miss it, I certainly know that. It’s a special place and Spurs is a club I will always love for as long as I live."

ferdinand_hs.jpg
LES FERDINAND
149 appearances, 1997-2002

"There are so many boys out there who would say ‘I’d love to play for Tottenham’ and I’m living proof that dreams can come true. I can always remember the first time I played at Spurs, it was like ‘wow, this is White Hart Lane’ and walking out of the tunnel into the stadium, playing on the pitch, it was like a dream come true. I would say the one thing about this stadium is the atmosphere, when it’s jumping, it’s an incredible place to play football. For one last time, we have to experience that atmosphere again, recreate what White Hart Lane is all about for one last time. It’s what dreams are made of."

freund_hs.jpg
STEFFEN FREUND
131 appearances, 1999-2003

"First of all, enjoy the day and love being part of the ‘old’ White Hart Lane, celebrate the team and the stadium and the Club. This Club is about you, the fans. I loved playing for you and our relationship was special, something I’ll never forget. So enjoy this memorable day and then look to a bright future. Be proud to be there, and celebrate the new stadium as well. Look forward. You have to move forward and the club is doing a fantastic job to build a new stadium."

gazza_hs.jpg
PAUL GASCOIGNE
112 appearances, 1988-1992

"First of all, sorry I can’t get there. I’d like to thank every one of you for one of the best times in my football career. The time I had at Spurs was phenomenal. The thing is, sometimes I wish I hated it, because then I wouldn’t miss it so much. I enjoyed every minute. I was excited to go out and train every day. My time at Spurs was one of the best ever. The worst thing is when I watch them I think about my time there and that’s a time I can never get back. So it’s just a massive thank you for everything the fans gave me and the club over the four years I had there and no doubt I’ll be there at the new stadium."

hughton_hs.jpg
CHRIS HUGHTON
398 appearances, 1979-1990

"It’s nice to be able to think back to the old stadium, those great matches and so many wonderful experiences. I’ve been away for a good few years now, but once you are a Spurs man, you are always a Spurs man. It’s my club. Even though I might not go for a while, it’s always in my heart and once you go to White Hart Lane, it is forever with you."

klinsmann_hs.jpg
JURGEN KLINSMANN
68 appearances, 1994-1995, 1998

"For me, it was an unforgettable experience to play here. I’ve never felt the connection so deeply between the fans and the players in a stadium. You cannot describe the energy when you on the field. So the special memory is the people. You feel connected to Tottenham, the stadium and the area, you feel connected to everyone here and you try to win, try to score and the feeling is just so special. Of course, memories are of special goals and wins but what remains after that is the connection to the people here and that’s what I will always be thankful for."

mullery_hs.jpg
ALAN MULLERY
373 appearances, 1964-1972

"The fans are very, very loyal. Last year, I met a fella who was 100 years old. I said to him ‘how long have you been supporting Tottenham?’ and he said ‘since I was four’. So he’d been supporting Spurs for 96 years. 96 years! I said tell me about those early years and he said ‘the first game I came to, I walked to the stadium with my dad and there was a man walking along with a red flag, and there was this machine behind him which they called a ‘car’, doing about three miles an hour!’. He also said that the memories he had of White Hart Lane were amazing. That’s what it is, these are the things you remember, of course it’s the cups, the finals, the great games – the last-ever game I played for Spurs, I scored in the UEFA Cup Final against Wolves and lifted the trophy, that’s a dream come true - but it’s also the camaraderie and support of the fans, that’s so special."

perryman_hs.jpg
STEVE PERRYMAN
854 appearances, 1969-1986

"First of all, congratulations on your choice of Club. You are following a team that deserves to be followed. Keep all your energy pushing that Club forward with your voices, your commitment and your energy. I always remember the fans chanting Danny Thomas’ name walking back to the half-way line after he missed a penalty in the UEFA Cup Final against Anderlecht. How does that make the next penalty-taker feel? That’s the effect you can all have with your love for the Club. That doesn’t mean to say you have to agree with everything they do, but you have something worthwhile to follow. Stick with them and you will be repaid. There will be a bit of despair along the way but it’s a great, great Club with so much tradition - yet so much history about to be made."

stevens_hs.jpg
GARY STEVENS
200 appearances, 1983-1989

"What would I say to everyone? Wow. I think I can sum it all up in two words, and that’s ‘thank you’. It’s a fantastic football venue, great history and passionate fans and I was truly honoured to have spent the bulk of my playing career at that club and at that venue. It’s a stadium where you can feel there is something special about it and I’m sure where the new stadium will overlap with the old stadium, that’s something that will stay."

vdv_hs.jpg
RAFAEL VAN DER VAART
77 appearances, 2010-2012

"It will be an emotional farewell for all of you. The end of an iconic stadium, a place of hope, dreams and memories will make place for a new one with hopefully the same aspirations. I wish all the very best for the fans and the team in the future and hope to visit Spurs again soon!"

woodgate_hs.jpg
JONATHAN WOODGATE
64 appearances, 2008-2011

"I’d just say enjoy it, soak it all in, love that atmosphere again, savour it. It’s against Manchester United as well, what a game! White Hart Lane is a place that has given everyone so many memories but now it’s time to look to the future and hopefully the new stadium will bring more success in the future. I’m sure it will. I’m lucky, I’ve played there against Spurs but also when Spurs were my team, and that was special."

ziege_hs.jpg
CHRISTIAN ZIEGE
55 appearances, 2001-2004

"It was always a great time at White Hart Lane. I loved the atmosphere, the crowd and playing for this Club. I enjoyed every game and every single moment! It’s just a pity because of my injury I didn’t play enough at White Hart Lane. I’ll always remember my free-kick against Woolwich! Apart from my injury, it was a great time, fantastic, outstanding memories."

What an incredible, emotional day we have ahead. Our final match at White Hart Lane, our home for 118 years. Unfortunately, some of the legendary figures of past and present will not be able to make it to The Lane, The Finale. Here are a few messages from those players whose heart will certainly be here today...

dawson_hs.jpg
MICHAEL DAWSON

"The first thing I would say would be ‘thank you’. I’m sure they would say the same to the players for some of those memories, like the Woolwich 5-1 or the 9-1 against Wigan. It’s an amazing feeling to walk out at White Hart Lane. I’ve so many amazing memories. Everyone loves playing there. Everyone will miss it, I certainly know that. It’s a special place and Spurs is a club I will always love for as long as I live."

ferdinand_hs.jpg
LES FERDINAND

"There are so many boys out there who would say ‘I’d love to play for Tottenham’ and I’m living proof that dreams can come true. I can always remember the first time I played at Spurs, it was like ‘wow, this is White Hart Lane’ and walking out of the tunnel into the stadium, playing on the pitch, it was like a dream come true. I would say the one thing about this stadium is the atmosphere, when it’s jumping, it’s an incredible place to play football. For one last time, we have to experience that atmosphere again, recreate what White Hart Lane is all about for one last time. It’s what dreams are made of."

freund_hs.jpg
STEFFEN FREUND

"First of all, enjoy the day and love being part of the ‘old’ White Hart Lane, celebrate the team and the stadium and the Club. This Club is about you, the fans. I loved playing for you and our relationship was special, something I’ll never forget. So enjoy this memorable day and then look to a bright future. Be proud to be there, and celebrate the new stadium as well. Look forward. You have to move forward and the club is doing a fantastic job to build a new stadium."

gazza_hs.jpg
PAUL GASCOIGNE

"First of all, sorry I can’t get there. I’d like to thank every one of you for one of the best times in my football career. The time I had at Spurs was phenomenal. The thing is, sometimes I wish I hated it, because then I wouldn’t miss it so much. I enjoyed every minute. I was excited to go out and train every day. My time at Spurs was one of the best ever. The worst thing is when I watch them I think about my time there and that’s a time I can never get back. So it’s just a massive thank you for everything the fans gave me and the club over the four years I had there and no doubt I’ll be there at the new stadium."

hughton_hs.jpg
CHRIS HUGHTON

"It’s nice to be able to think back to the old stadium, those great matches and so many wonderful experiences. I’ve been away for a good few years now, but once you are a Spurs man, you are always a Spurs man. It’s my club. Even though I might not go for a while, it’s always in my heart and once you go to White Hart Lane, it is forever with you."

klinsmann_hs.jpg
JURGEN KLINSMANN

"For me, it was an unforgettable experience to play here. I’ve never felt the connection so deeply between the fans and the players in a stadium. You cannot describe the energy when you on the field. So the special memory is the people. You feel connected to Tottenham, the stadium and the area, you feel connected to everyone here and you try to win, try to score and the feeling is just so special. Of course, memories are of special goals and wins but what remains after that is the connection to the people here and that’s what I will always be thankful for."

mullery_hs.jpg
ALAN MULLERY

"The fans are very, very loyal. Last year, I met a fella who was 100 years old. I said to him ‘how long have you been supporting Tottenham?’ and he said ‘since I was four’. So he’d been supporting Spurs for 96 years. 96 years! I said tell me about those early years and he said ‘the first game I came to, I walked to the stadium with my dad and there was a man walking along with a red flag, and there was this machine behind him which they called a ‘car’, doing about three miles an hour!’. He also said that the memories he had of White Hart Lane were amazing. That’s what it is, these are the things you remember, of course it’s the cups, the finals, the great games – the last-ever game I played for Spurs, I scored in the UEFA Cup Final against Wolves and lifted the trophy, that’s a dream come true - but it’s also the camaraderie and support of the fans, that’s so special."

perryman_hs.jpg
STEVE PERRYMAN

"First of all, congratulations on your choice of Club. You are following a team that deserves to be followed. Keep all your energy pushing that Club forward with your voices, your commitment and your energy. I always remember the fans chanting Danny Thomas’ name walking back to the half-way line after he missed a penalty in the UEFA Cup Final against Anderlecht. How does that make the next penalty-taker feel? That’s the effect you can all have with your love for the Club. That doesn’t mean to say you have to agree with everything they do, but you have something worthwhile to follow. Stick with them and you will be repaid. There will be a bit of despair along the way but it’s a great, great Club with so much tradition - yet so much history about to be made."

stevens_hs.jpg
GARY STEVENS

"What would I say to everyone? Wow. I think I can sum it all up in two words, and that’s ‘thank you’. It’s a fantastic football venue, great history and passionate fans and I was truly honoured to have spent the bulk of my playing career at that club and at that venue. It’s a stadium where you can feel there is something special about it and I’m sure where the new stadium will overlap with the old stadium, that’s something that will stay."

vdv_hs.jpg
RAFAEL VAN DER VAART

"It will be an emotional farewell for all of you. The end of an iconic stadium, a place of hope, dreams and memories will make place for a new one with hopefully the same aspirations. I wish all the very best for the fans and the team in the future and hope to visit Spurs again soon!"

woodgate_hs.jpg
JONATHAN WOODGATE

"I’d just say enjoy it, soak it all in, love that atmosphere again, savour it. It’s against Manchester United as well, what a game! White Hart Lane is a place that has given everyone so many memories but now it’s time to look to the future and hopefully the new stadium will bring more success in the future. I’m sure it will. I’m lucky, I’ve played there against Spurs but also when Spurs were my team, and that was special."

ziege_hs.jpg
CHRISTIAN ZIEGE

"It was always a great time at White Hart Lane. I loved the atmosphere, the crowd and playing for this Club. I enjoyed every game and every single moment! It’s just a pity because of my injury I didn’t play enough at White Hart Lane. I’ll always remember my free-kick against Woolwich! Apart from my injury, it was a great time, fantastic, outstanding memories."

What lovely words from all of them, I take back what I said about Jurgen earlier.
YIDS, YIDS, YIDS

Reliable decent player and all that, but I was surprised to see Simon Davies. Was he just the token Welsh midfielder with Bale otherwise engaged?

But was made up to see some of my childhood heroes Teddy, Darren Anderton (nice to see him not limping), Daveed.
Token Welsh player? One of the best ever Welsh players was there looking very fit. Mike England.

dawson_hs.jpg
MICHAEL DAWSON

ferdinand_hs.jpg
LES FERDINAND

freund_hs.jpg
STEFFEN FREUND

gazza_hs.jpg
PAUL GASCOIGNE

hughton_hs.jpg
CHRIS HUGHTON

klinsmann_hs.jpg
JURGEN KLINSMANN

mullery_hs.jpg
ALAN MULLERY

perryman_hs.jpg
STEVE PERRYMAN

stevens_hs.jpg
GARY STEVENS

vdv_hs.jpg
RAFAEL VAN DER VAART

woodgate_hs.jpg
JONATHAN WOODGATE

ziege_hs.jpg
CHRISTIAN ZIEGE

I love Stevie P's comments.

Although the UEFA Cup win was before my time, my dad talked about it and the "One Danny Thomas" thing was one of my favourite Spurs stories of his. I always felt that it summed us up most as fans. That in a moment when you're feeling at your most low you keep singing and keep being loyal.

I know some Spurs fans can be fickle but our loyalty over the years is what stands out to me...selling out away allocations even when we were at our most shit in the 90s, Woolwich and later Chelsea were winning everything in sight and yet we still took the same amount of fans as they did to Sunderland on a Wednesday night (or more sometimes, in the case of Chelsea)...having fantastic support in the second tier when we were there...etc...and there in the Danny Thomas incident is all our loyalty encapsulated in a single chant.

Back
Top Bottom