The new poch out poll

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch out?

• Yes poch out

Votes: 172 44.6%
  • No poch stays

Votes: 214 55.4%

• Total voters
Bang on. It’s hilarious how overrated Lucas has become by Spurs fans in general. He blows hot and cold and he’ll generally have a better impact in situations where he has space to run.

He’s a great option to have who can be devastating on occasion. Nothing more.
I love Lucas.

He has three main qualities:
1) I love how he carries (dribbles) the ball and when he runs at defences. He can get most defences turned, which causes spaces and errors etc. The negative to him here is he rarely finds the pass to the player who's found the space that his dangerous runs had created. And of course, this is completely wasted when we play against a low block.
2) I think he's a good finisher but rarely finds the opportunity between the CB's or CB/FB's. (maybe the problem is also our lack of creativity behind him, don't want to lump all this on his shoulders).
3) He's great in the air, maybe I'd go so far as saying he's our best header of the ball. But this means we just lump aimless balls into the box.

For me I love having him in the squad, he's a quality player, far, far better than we've previously had as options to rotate with or bring off the bench. But he's not a starter for me unless it's designed to give rest for the players that are better than him. Having him in our squad elevates its overall quality, but he's not a starter in our best 11.

Last edited:
I love Lucas.

He has three main qualities:
1) I love how he carries (dribbles) the ball and when he runs at defences. He can get most defences turned, which causes spaces and errors etc. The negative to him here is he rarely finds the pass to the player who's found the space that his dangerous runs had created. And of course, this is completely wasted when we play against a low block.
2) I think he's a good finisher but rarely finds the opportunity between the CB's or CB/FB's. (maybe the problem is also our lack of creativity behind him, don't want to lump all this on his shoulders).
3) He's great in the air, maybe I'd go so far as saying he's our best header of the ball. But this means we just lump aimless balls into the box.

For me I love having him in the squad, he's a quality player, far, far better than we've had as options to rotate with or bring off the bench. But he's not a starter for me unless it's designed to give rest for the players that are better than him. Having him in our squad elevates its overall quality, but he's not a starter in our best 11.
*Applause*

I really didn’t want to come off as a Lucas hater but the best thing I’ve heard said about him is that he’s the wild card, an agent of chaos within our formulaic system. I still want him around definitely, you don’t turn up your nose at his qualities. Yet he is an iso baller.

Kane hadn't played a game of football for seven weeks (April 9th) due to his ankle injury. It's not a question of Moura being better than him, it's one of picking the best side available at that moment in time. Lucas was match fit and coming off the back of a semi-final hat trick.
Harry would have made more of an impact playing the last twenty minutes than expecting him to last for 90 and knowing the pace at the start of the game was going to be fast.
Glenn Hoddle said :
“I’m absolutely delighted that he’s fit, but I definitely wouldn’t start him,The tempo of the game is going to be absolutely incredible at the beginning of the game, Liverpool like to press and play that high tempo, I don’t think he’ll be ready for that sort of pace.
I really feel that once the game is settled in the second-half and he’s coming on fresh, I think that’s where he can have a real impact.Yeah, his ankle is feeling good and that’s great news, but he’s not 100 per cent match fit and we all know that."

All of our best performances in the knockout stages - the 3-0 win over Borussia Dortmund, the 4-3 defeat at City that got us through to the quarter-final, the extraordinary comeback at Ajax - came without Kane.
I wouldn't begin to compare the two players when both are fully fit and available, Harry every single time for me but that wasn't the case for the final.

Poch let his heart rule his head and paid the price.
But the tempo of the game wasn't incredible, quite the opposite in fact.

You do not have access to player data, nor does Hoddle one of our worst ever Managers. He was fit weeks before the final and we kept him under wraps especially for that game, his entire preparation was for that game I would have thought.

All of our shit performances in that ridiculous run into the 4th spot of the PL were without Kane too!! Go figure.

He played better than Lucas!!!!

Well Lucas still doubled his shot tally of one, in 70 less minutes.
Its almost as if you think being dropped after the semi should act as some kind of motivation.

He came into a losing game, when the ideas were dead, the heads were down and the tactics slowly strangling everyone around him to death.

Cling to your fake news that Kane played well all you like mate, I’m not going to discuss a fantasy.

How’s Trippier doing on the bench at QPR by the way?

But the tempo of the game wasn't incredible, quite the opposite in fact.

You do not have access to player data, nor does Hoddle one of our worst ever Managers. He was fit weeks before the final and we kept him under wraps especially for that game, his entire preparation was for that game I would have thought.

All of our shit performances in that ridiculous run into the 4th spot of the PL were without Kane too!! Go figure.

There is a world of difference between being physically fit and match fit. The tempo of the game was not as anticipated because nobody expected a Liverpool goal in the first minute, it completely changed the planned strategies of both sides. You have just posted on here regarding Lucas :

But he's not a starter for me unless it's designed to give rest for the players that are better than him.

That perfectly describes why he should have started and a Harry Kane returning from a seven week lay off should have replaced him after about an hour.

It's simply a question of did Poch pick the best possible side to start that game and in my opinion he didn't. You think otherwise so we shall agree to differ. :thumbup:
:coys:

I know he has flaws. His first touch is often naff and he struggles out wide. I’m aware of his limitations.

But why do we have this player who is really quick and could be devastating on the counter, and then never ever work on counter attacking football? We did it to an extent at the Etihad (and lucked out) and then at Anfield. But he leaves him on the bench. Just drop Eriksen. Fuck the midfield, we can’t hold onto the ball anyway.

I just want to see some sort of flexibility.

Also, sure some fans overrate him, but, on the other side, there are those that talk him down at every opportunity when he’s never been given a fair run of games. Dele played in that Colchester game too and he was fucking shit. He still gets all the game time he wants.

For every fan that overrates Moura there seems to be another one that wants to see him fail.

I agree with you, he hasn’t been given a run in the team and in recent matches where we have been so pedestrian I think he should have been

Well Lucas still doubled his shot tally of one, in 70 less minutes.
Its almost as if you think being dropped after the semi should act as some kind of motivation.

He came into a losing game, when the ideas were dead, the heads were down and the tactics slowly strangling everyone around him to death.

Cling to your fake news that Kane played well all you like mate, I’m not going to discuss a fantasy.

How’s Trippier doing on the bench at QPR by the way?
Try and play straight Sammy, I said he played better than Lucas did, I didn't say he played well. In fact there wasn't a single player from either side that I can say played well, it was a very poor quality game of football from both sides.

As for Tripps, are you aware that AM has had their worst ever start to a season in the 11 years under Simeone? We've scored 5 more goals than they have despite playing a game less and we're shit!! Sorry to have to break that news to you, it must be all those assists stats that cloud the judgment hey?!?

Last edited:
There is a world of difference between being physically fit and match fit. The tempo of the game was not as anticipated because nobody expected a Liverpool goal in the first minute, it completely changed the planned strategies of both sides. You have just posted on here regarding Lucas :

But he's not a starter for me unless it's designed to give rest for the players that are better than him.

That perfectly describes why he should have started and a Harry Kane returning from a seven week lay off should have replaced him after about an hour.

It's simply a question of did Poch pick the best possible side to start that game and in my opinion he didn't. You think otherwise so we shall agree to differ. :thumbup:
:coys:
With Kane the narrative has always been "he looks like he needs a rest", he gets a rest and it's "he's not match fit".

As I said we know if a player is fit or not, we employ many boffins and spend huge sums of cash to understand this.

If Lucas started games for us he’d get 20 goals a season
carroll-goals.png

Until he actual score those numbers he isn't.

Bang on. It’s hilarious how overrated Lucas has become by Spurs fans in general. He blows hot and cold and he’ll generally have a better impact in situations where he has space to run.

He’s a great option to have who can be devastating on occasion. Nothing more.
I agree with you on this. He was like tits on a bull in every game after the hat-trick, and on that basis alone, I was OK with Kane starting.

After a positive aggressive performance against Red Star he waived the opportunity to build some momentum by changing things negatively for the Liverpool game. Rotation for the sake of rotation’s sake does nothing for the confidence of the players who played well against Red Star only to see themselves dropped. It also does nothing to make those dropped for the Red Star game pull their finger out to fight for their place if they know they will be rotated back into the team even if they play poorly.
It seems to me that Poch knew the 11 he wanted to start against Liverpool ever before a ball was kicked against Red Star, and went with that (with the possible exception of Lamela, who picked up an injury in the meantime).

Back
Top Bottom