The Newcastle Yo-Yos vs. Wembley Hotspur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Properly exorcised some ghosts yesterday......went back to all the same bars and drank exactly the same drinks as after the 5-1 game.

Now just need some good memories at Wembley and a win at Stamford Bridge.

Poch has previously said he would not loan out players as he feels they develop better under him. Maybe Onomah is on the way out?

Onomah needs to prove himself with a year of real football under his belt. We'll either see a more mature player come back, one that's ready to compete or he'll stay at the same level and end up somewhere like Newcastle. I hope he stays calm, learns and comes back closer to what's needed to compete at our level

That is not a red card, there can be arguments that it should be due to the risk of injury ( I dont want it to be as I like hard tackles), but for all that say its a red I can point to you loads of instances where it has been play on or free kick at worse.

Poch has previously said he would not loan out players as he feels they develop better under him. Maybe Onomah is on the way out?
I see an interview where he said he prefers to keep them training with the first team but respects other opinions. Have you got a different one where he says he wont loan out players?

I see an interview where he said he prefers to keep them training with the first team but respects other opinions. Have you got a different one where he says he wont loan out players?
After a little research I believe we are talking about the same interview only it was awhile ago in my mind and I must have mixed that up with other headlines. I just have this quote in my head of him saying if they are loaned they are not in the plans but the more I think of it I believe he is too coy to say that as he would be thinking of players that are loaned out. If I come across another interview I will let you know.

EDIT: I must have remembered an article of a reporter's interpretation of poch's comments.
Being a Spurs loan player is straying from the path to success under Pochettino

Last edited:
That is not a red card, there can be arguments that it should be due to the risk of injury ( I dont want it to be as I like hard tackles), but for all that say its a red I can point to you loads of instances where it has been play on or free kick at worse.

I think the risk to injury is high with a scissor tackle like that. Mostly because of the strain it puts on ankles, knees and so on.

I like hard tackles too, but that specific type is really dangerous, borne out by Lejeune leaving the ground on crutches and in a protective cast.

I think the risk to injury is high with a scissor tackle like that. Mostly because of the strain it puts on ankles, knees and so on.

I like hard tackles too, but that specific type is really dangerous, borne out by Lejeune leaving the ground on crutches and in a protective cast.
Unless anything has changed in the summer this is not a sending off for me - you see it every other week or so.

You could argue it should be made a sending off offence but I don't agree that it is presently.

Unless anything has changed in the summer this is not a sending off for me - you see it every other week or so.

You could argue it should be made a sending off offence but I don't agree that it is presently.

Yeah a scissor tackle isn't specifically a red card offence, but you can describe Kane's tackle with terms like; dangerous, reckless, out of control, etc. which are terms often used in the language of red card offences.

fwiw I do think scissor tackles should be a red card offence.

Yeah a scissor tackle isn't specifically a red card offence, but you can describe Kane's tackle with terms like; dangerous, reckless, out of control, etc. which are terms often used in the language of red card offences.

fwiw I do think scissor tackles should be a red card offence.
you could but I dont think many would - as I said I see that tackle (or comparable) every other week not being a red card so I find it hard to argue that it should be a red card unless we are changing the rules.

I didn't see much wrong with Kane's challenge. He got the ball. Yes, he also caught the player with his other leg from behind but it wasn't a two footed tackle, it was just his momentum carrying him forward. It was a yellow card because it was a bit reckless, borne out by the fact the player did get injured. But there was no malice at all in it.

Totally different to the other yellow card challenge on Dele where the "tackle" was not a tackle at all, no attempt to the play the ball, it was 100% clear that it was to stop Dele. Luckily Dele did not get injured but luck was the only reason why. That is the kind of challenge that should be a red because it is anti-football, playing the player not the ball.

Congrats on the three points, it was always going to be a tough challenge for us, but not made any easier by that stupid bellened Shelvey. Has to go down as one of the most pointless red cards I've ever seen. So petulant and thoughtless.

That said, we were incredibly unlucky yesterday. Losing 2 of our first choice defenders in the 1st half really disrupted our plans. Kane got the Alan Shearer treatment for his tackle on Lejeune. Guarantee if this was Mitrovic he'd have seen red. Tackle from behind, both feet off the floor, don't care if he eventually touches the ball it's dangerous and rumours are that it's broken the lads ankle. Arguably more dangerous than Shelvey's stupidity and that was deservedly a red.

DHILtZWXYAI3E70.jpg

That aside it was clear we set up to frustrate you and until the red we kept you to 2 shots on target and I don't remember Elliott having to make a proper save. After that moron got himself an early bath, obviously we were up against it, but we made a couple of chances and had Gayle been 100% he may have been more of a pest. I think the plan was to play Gayle for 60 minutes to ease him back, then, depending on the score change things up. Obviously with 2 forced changes and being a man down that plan went out the window.

You remain one of the best sides in the league and if you're not challenging for the title you will, at the very least, have sewn up a CL spot. For us, we'll have much easier challenges ahead and on that showing I think we'll be fine. Merino, Lejeune and Manquillo looked all right, Atsu looked very good, a fully fit Gayle will score goals. We'll end up 14/15th I reckon.

Hope the lads who made it up had a good weekend.
This "both feet off the floor" bullshit means most tackles would be red, even that picture shows it was a genuine tackle, where he won the ball cleanly. Fully accept that in today's game that is was 100% yellow card as Kane's other leg came through your players legs. May be, just maybe if your player decided to go for the ball himself rather than choose to draw a foul (he stepped across and into Kane) then he wouldn't have been injured. Hope the lad is OK, but seriously he only has himself to blame. BTW if it was Mitrovic he wouldn't have got to the ball and would have no doubt amputated the lads ankle (I like Mitrovic, but he's a physico). I would go to the trouble of freeze framing a picture of Ritchie's tackle on Dele, where there was zero intent to play the ball and only chop the player down, but I enjoy watching my football and choose not to wallow on the negative. You lot wallow in misery, when you're not booing your manger (not Rafa), players, owner, DoF, MD you're booing a player you were delighted to get rid of, boo a player that was trod on, going to your place is just like going to Stoke, joyless stadium full of misery doom and depression. Lighten up, try and enjoy yourselves.

I thought you were terrible, I understand the game plan and why it was deployed but fuck me I couldn't watch that shit all season, so boring, keeping the grass long, not watering it doing anything not to play the beautiful game. As I said above, joyless. I think you will go down.
:pochbye:

I notice that stream details were given out Sunday. I was watching on SKY but when not on sky I watch on stream direct (not kodi). Just heard 600 streams blocked at the weekend. Did anyone manage to watch the game live on the Internet in the UK.?

Back
Top Bottom