The Race for 4th

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We never held our nerve. We were simply much better.

I am talking moments of tightness.

Yeah, not every top four race is equal! In a lot of seasons we've been consistently good across a season and had a healthy points gap come crunch time, instead messing up on the loftier objectives. The last time we had a nervy battle for top 4 we were all over the place and let teams catch up, securing it in the end but more because of other teams incompetence.

This is about high pressure games where every one will feel like a cup final. Let's see how this bunch handle that.

We never held our nerve. We were simply much better.

I am talking moments of tightness.
Under Poch we came from behind and scored more last minute goals than any other team?

what about Amsterdam, what about Leicester away? a club is made of transient individuals from all over the world. Football is a random game. Are you telling me Bentancur born in Uruguay suddenly comes to Tottenham and turns into this serial "bottler" who can't perform in finals? or Conte or whover?

Don't believe the BS lads.

Patters can occur, sure but if you're trying to tell me there's something innate inside the "club" that had a natural tendency to "bottle" come on?

Under Poch we came from behind and scored more last minute goals than any other team?

what about Amsterdam, what about Leicester away? a club is made of transient individuals from all over the world. Football is a random game. Are you telling me Bentancur born in Uruguay suddenly comes to Tottenham and turns into this serial "bottler" who can't perform in finals? or Conte or whover?

Don't believe the BS lads.

Patters can occur, sure but if you're trying to tell me there's something innate inside the "club" that had a natural tendency to "bottle" come on?

There's nothing innate. We just have a group of players who happen to have attributes which suit running away with games and playing on the break but struggle to gain control of matches on a regular basis. Our midfielders aren't capable enough with the ball at their feet and so almost any other PL midfield can have periods of dominance against us.

Apart from the 5 or so times in the last few years where we did hold our nerve to finish above scum

We were generally just better over a full season.
Anyway, I don't think he meant us Vs Woolwich for a league finish. He meant us not having the equipment to turn up to winnable games against good sides and actually do it. Apart from City. We like City.

We were generally just better over a full season.
Anyway, I don't think he meant us Vs Woolwich for a league finish. He meant us not having the equipment to turn up to winnable games against good sides and actually do it. Apart from City. We like City.

It's usually us vs them for a league finish - most seasons we are pretty level heading into the final few games

Disagree.

We are serial losers.

Had that been us yesterday against Chelsea we would have lose. Absolutely 100%.

Our DNA equals Do Not Advance.
Like our run in 09/10 when we won 9 out of our last 11 to get 4th? Or 18/19 when we fell apart from February but still got 4th, it was Woolwich bottling that one. I agree we would probably have lost to Chelsea because the fans and team wouldnt be that disengaged and would be busting a gut against us, as ever.

2-2 draw against the gooners when we could have gone top.
Which was a few days after the 1-0 loss to a bang average West Ham which also would have taken us top.
We should have won both games. Woolwich were 2-1 down with 10 men and got the draw too.
6 points instead of 1 and we'd have been clear at the top and likely gone on to win the league instead of Leicester.

Yet our fans still argue we didn't bottle it because we were never top.

Can I shock you?

"Football DNA" is complete bollocks and an absolute myth.

the concept exists to allow journos to write bullshit articles with narratives like "Man United's DNA is to be the best"

Which is of course why once Maguire signed he became Maldini
This 100% its utterly shit. Had we been doped to the the tune of half a billion quid what do you think our DNA would look like...yep we'd look like the Red Hulk and all the other OP doped up steroid winning machines that's not D N.A it's cheating

This 100% its utterly shit. Had we been doped to the the tune of half a billion quid what do you think our DNA would look like...yep we'd look like the Red Hulk and all the other OP doped up steroid winning machines that's not D N.A it's cheating
Indeed! it's been interesting to see "typical City's" DNA change over the years

or how perennial Losers Newcastle's DNA will change

:pochrolleyes:

Which was a few days after the 1-0 loss to a bang average West Ham which also would have taken us top.
We should have won both games. Woolwich were 2-1 down with 10 men and got the draw too.
6 points instead of 1 and we'd have been clear at the top and likely gone on to win the league instead of Leicester.

Yet our fans still argue we didn't bottle it because we were never top.
Why would we have 'likely' gone on to win the league? Also, Upton Park under the lights is always difficult.

I think some people also forget a few things about that season:
* Leicester ALWAYS played before us in the run-in
* Opposition managers kept saying how they'd love to see Leicester win the league i.e. there was a positive to losing to Leicester, hardly a message to be giving to players in teams who had nothing to play for
* Leicester had no Europe
* Pretty much everything went Leicester's way: 50/50 decisions, deflections etc.
No other team was winning it that season.

Why would we have 'likely' gone on to win the league? Also, Upton Park under the lights is always difficult.

* Opposition managers kept saying how they'd love to see Leicester win the league i.e. there was a positive to losing to Leicester, hardly a message to be giving to players in teams who had nothing to play for
* Pretty much everything went Leicester's way: 50/50 decisions, deflections etc.
we also finished 10/11 points behind them. it's not it went to the last day and were 2-0 up only to lose 3-2 and lose the title that way.

We were honestly closer to challenging Conte's Chelsea.

we were a much better team that year too .

You lost me when I saw your username.

Back
Top Bottom