The Race for 4th

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Little Girl Reaction GIF
TBF, we do turn up at Anfield plenty of times, it's just inevitably there's a late goal, missed sitter etc to give them all three points.

Having slept on it, I'm gonna put that result down to Chelsea being absolutely shit than Woolwich being good.

Let's remember they lost 3 in a row to Palace, Brighton and Southampton.

some tough games still to go for them West ham away, United, Leeds, Newcastle, Everton (meh)

Nothing over yet, last night was a blow, undoubtedly.

we move on a hope United need to show a reaction, and we need to do our job at Brentford.

I think we’ve played well in recent matches at Anfield. They’ve all been close and we should have won several of them, especially last season.

The problem with us is that we lose to lesser teams all the time. Saints, Wolves, Palace, Burnley, Brighton, Mura, Middlesbrough, LASK, those are the types of games that we fuck up far too regularly. I can easily see Brentford being added to that list. You can never rely on us to be professional against teams we are expected to beat.

We shouldn’t be in a position where we need to beat Liverpool to finish fourth but we may well do if we don’t sort out our attitude against lesser teams. You have to work hard to beat anyone, no matter where they are in the table.

We don't - this is just confirmation bias, not sure how anyone can be more fearful or going away to a newly promoted team compared to a team where we've won 6 out of 78 and lost 50, this season the only top team we've beaten away is City, we've lost at OT, Stamford Bridge, Emirates and London Stadium

Re the Liverpool game - one, at home we had countless chances and arguable should have beaten them.

Even vs benfica and United they were regularly got at in behind Trent in particular.

this game is genuinely made for Kane and Son. I really do think we have a chance.

Our style of play suits playing them.

Brighton was a blip *worth noting Brighton got a point at Anfield too.

Having slept on it, I'm gonna put that result down to Chelsea being absolutely shit than Woolwich being good.

Let's remember they lost 3 in a row to Palace, Brighton and Southampton.

some tough games still to go for them West ham away, United, Leeds, Newcastle, Everton (meh)

Nothing over yet, last night was a blow, undoubtedly.

we move on a hope United need to show a reaction, and we need to do our job at Brentford.

Woolwich where crap yesterday, their mdifield and defence was all over the place but their attackers where quite good however Chelsea where worse. It was one of the poorest games I have seen this season. If either Woolwich or Chelsea played like yesterday I would expect us to beat them by a few goals.

TBF, we do turn up at Anfield plenty of times, it's just inevitably there's a late goal, missed sitter etc to give them all three points.

That's fine but we've never played Brentford away in the PL before so I fail to understand why we should be going into that match with any trepidation compared to going to Anfield.

I did actually mark the Brentford game as tricky but it's no way worse than Anfield to get any points from.

Last edited:
We don't - this is just confirmation bias, not sure how anyone can be more fearful or going away to a newly promoted team compared to a team where we've won 6 out of 78 and lost 50, this season the only top team we've beaten away is City, we've lost at OT, Stamford Bridge, Emirates and London Stadium
It's purely the weight of expectation, nobody is really fearful of the result at Anfield because we expect it to be a defeat so when it comes there will be little real disappointment, it's games that you feel we should win like Brentford that are the real kicker when we lose.

Nobody legitimately thinks that we are more likely to win at Anfield than at Brentford though.

I actually find it really infuriating that a shite team like Woolwich, with no recognised striker managed to score 4 away at Chelsea and we didn't score once in 4 fucking games.
This is a glowing example of what has been wrong with Spurs - going into games and almost not wanting to win them.

I actually find it really infuriating that a shite team like Woolwich, with no recognised striker managed to score 4 away at Chelsea and we didn't score once in 4 fucking games.
This is a glowing example of what has been wrong with Spurs - going into games and almost not wanting to win them.
It is worth remembering that Sanchez Gollini and Tanganga featured in those games

The surprise, after yesterday and given our history is if we finish 4th.

Nothing in our DNA suggests this ends how we hope.
Can I shock you?

"Football DNA" is complete bollocks and an absolute myth.

the concept exists to allow journos to write bullshit articles with narratives like "Man United's DNA is to be the best"

Which is of course why once Maguire signed he became Maldini

It is worth remembering that Sanchez Gollini and Tanganga featured in those games
They're all defensive.
It's not their fault we barely took aim at a weakened Chelsea. They doubled us last year as well.
And the year before IIRC.

I don't understand why we act like rabbits in the headlights against them and have done so since we moved back home.

Can I shock you?

the concept exists to allow journos to write bullshit articles with narratives like "Man United's DNA is to be the best"

DNA is just a term used to describe quantifiable patterns in football.
We have proven over the last few years that we can't cope with the slightest bit of pressure and fail to show up when we need to.

Can I shock you?

Disagree.

We are serial losers.

Had that been us yesterday against Chelsea we would have lost
. Absolutely 100%.

Our DNA equals Do Not Advance.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom