The Race for 4th

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Lampard should be sacked for that display. But we knew it. Funny, Chelski and West Spam laid down to the Arse and got nothing for it except disgrace. With Spam it cost them Europa League, hope they are happy now. those teams have no real pride. Brighton have more pride than West Spam. Potter might be a good England manager in the future.

Under Conté Spurs can go further. It's only the very hostile refereeing that holds Tottenham back. this is a really good/great Tottenham team and well managed by Conté.

Congratulations to all and to every Spurs supporter who suffered this season but came thru. The players improved under Conté and it shows as opposed to Woolwich who have had the refs and FA behind them every match but only got 5th. LOL. Soz I've had a few sherbets.......

FTY7rrWWQAAZwV6

Not a single pundit had Spurs in the top 4. I am gobsmacked at the number who had Utd though.

I've been avoiding this thread for most of the season, as it's been such a roller coaster of a ride.
In all honesty, I wasn't too sure if us qualifying for CL was the best thing for us this season, but when it became a two-way race with that lot down the road, I would have been gutted to miss out. The last couple of weeks have been so emotional and in a way, I'm glad it's all over. But by tomorrow I will be counting the days to the start of next season.
I've been reliving the NLD and the Man City games on YouTube, wouldn't have enjoyed them so much if we hadn't won today.

I've got to say it all feels a bit surreal.

For this team to have beat that lot to CL on the last day of the season.
And everything that entails for Conte/Kane's futures and how we can improve the squad over the summer. It was such a huge few weeks.

Really feels like we are back in the big time now. I think we are comfortably 3rd best in the league next season as things stand, with a bit of luck in the transfer window who knows how high we can go.

I see Liverpool as a more catchable target than City Haaland FC so not sure how feasible it is to start thinking about a serious title challenge - though you know that's exactly what Conte will be demanding behind the scenes.

What a start to the summer!

Really, why?

Utd finished 2nd and just added Sancho, Ronaldo and Varane to their squad, I think it was the obvious thing at the time that they'd finish in the top 4 because the squad looked so strong.
And we had Nuno instead of Conte with Kane's fate only decided after the season had started. It is actually a massive turnaround.

I think one of the key moments was the 3-0 defeat against Man United. I was hospitalised with a broken ankle at the time and the physio who helped me regain my mobility happened to be a United fan and he had the pleasure of telling me about his team's win, Nuno's sacking and Conte's appointment.

The funny thing is that if we had won that match, United would have probably sacked Solskjaer then and appointed Conte while we would have persisted with Nuno for a bit longer and then found there was no one to replace him with when we realised Nuno was a lost cause.

Maybe by losing that game, we actually won.

I think one of the key moments was the 3-0 defeat against Man United. I was hospitalised with a broken ankle at the time and the physio who helped me regain my mobility happened to be a United fan and he had the pleasure of telling me about his team's win, Nuno's sacking and Conte's appointment.

The funny thing is that if we had won that match, United would have probably sacked Solskjaer then and appointed Conte while we would have persisted with Nuno for a bit longer and then found there was no one to replace him with when we realised Nuno was a lost cause.

Maybe by losing that game, we actually won.

That seems to be the narrative going around but I'm not convinced that Utd chiefs really wanted Conte.

Just put few quid on Spurs @ 2/1 for top 4.

Woolwich (current favourites with bookies) - lack of goalscorers and inexperience I think will see them fall short

Man U - unhappy squad, stop gap manager. They still look very disjointed on the pitch.

West Ham - thin squad, will be thereabouts but Europa may take its toll.

Us - best xG difference of any the contenders. Bentancur improves us. Unlike W Ham and Arse, we have a lot of players who've done it before. And we have the best manager in Conte. Injuries are the thing most likely to stop us - we need our key players to stay fit.

COYS!
By Feb I was a believer. It was becoming clear that Rangnick wasn't the answer for Utd. Until then I assumed he'd improve them given the quality they have.

Really, why?

Utd finished 2nd and just added Sancho, Ronaldo and Varane to their squad, I think it was the obvious thing at the time that they'd finish in the top 4 because the squad looked so strong.
They really were a loooong way off, they played shit football under OGS, and nothing about them made them look like a top 4 team (they didn't when they finished 2nd under the dinosaur too). To this day don't get why anyone thought Ronaldo was a good signing for them, he wasn't for Juve, why would he be for Utd? Turns out he wasn't. I think Varane is a very good player, but he's not going to make them a good side on his own and Sancho is just a kid (who's hasn't had a single good game when selected to play for England, so the signs were there that he's a long way to go yet before he reaches the same level of hype that surrounded him). OGS was their manager.

Back
Top Bottom