The Return of Fans to Stadiums

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Would you attend matches at 10-25% capacity

• Yes - COYS!

Votes: 116 74.8%
  • No

Votes: 26 16.8%
  • I'd rather go to another Take That reunion

Votes: 13 8.4%

• Total voters
One thing I have noticed from all this is that no one understands social media. Nearly every single person in the world can make a post and in lots of cases (because the celebrity chooses to) can speak to high-profile people directly. Now I feel like these companies have an easy ride because of the libel exemption in America. Can you imagine putting up a community whiteboard outside your house that contained some of the stuff on social media?
Besides all that, the comments are obviously wrong but when anyone, in whatever state, can make a post to the whole world and to the person themselves, I am not sure what can be done apart from limited who can post. I don't know why footballers aren't calling for that. I am not sure what is being called for in the practical sense.
They already can limit who can respond to them on Instagram and Twitter.

Most of them probably don't know that they can, or for other reasons decide not to.

My main observation from being on Tottenham High Road for the first time in 15 months is how many little punks there are now zipping about on those e-scooter things. Last time I was in London it was only the try-hard hipster nerd in the office who had one.

Looking at the games on MOTD, think we were the only supporters who weren't allowed to be pitch-side!
When Levy gets it wrong, he does it spectacularly so!

Looking at the games on MOTD, think we were the only supporters who weren't allowed to be pitch-side!
When Levy gets it wrong, he does it spectacularly so!
I was literally typing the same thing, then saw,your post!

For all the annoying 'happy clappers' the hand out at Leiecster, seeing fans pitchside (y'know, to be there to celebrate goals WITH their team) rather than putting them closer to the Skywalk to 'watch' the match way deeply telling....

I assume all that lovely advertising draped over the lower tiers refused to go up into the Gods??

For all the annoying 'happy clappers' the hand out at Leiecster, seeing fans pitchside (y'know, to be there to celebrate goals WITH their team) rather than putting them closer to the Skywalk to 'watch' the match way deeply telling....

I assume all that lovely advertising draped over the lower tiers refused to go up into the Gods??
Members who reacted:
Disagree (1)
Today at 12:10 PM

Saltman

Fat thumbs Saltman ....or do you quite like the fact Spurs were the only club to put their fans as far away from the pitch as legally possible?!

....seems it was fat thumbs. Sorry for the sarcasm!!

Last edited:

Not quite sure what the problem was. I always stood on the shelf and therefore when I have been to the ground have gone into the east stand upper and for the Norwich P/L match in Jan 2020 paid on the official site more than 60 to watch the match. Many people like being behind the goals but others elsewhere. I believe you get a better view at the side and higher up but others disagree.

Not quite sure what the problem was. I always stood on the shelf and therefore when I have been to the ground have gone into the east stand upper and for the Norwich P/L match in Jan 2020 paid on the official site more than 60 to watch the match. Many people like being behind the goals but others elsewhere. I believe you get a better view at the side and higher up but others disagree.
I think it was more to do with the fact the club weren't even going to entertain the notion of giving fans an opportunity to sit/stand behind the goal... as the PLEBS would get in the way of all that precious AIA/CINCH advertising etc...

Yes, you do get a better overall view higher up, but that's usually cos there are so many people on the lower tier to see past... this time, there were none.

And besides, it just made the ground look as empty as it had all season... there was no difference to the naked eye during the Villa game...
Just the sound of boos at FT gave it away that there were any fans in the ground at all!

THST survey results show fan feeling on return to stadiums​

15/7/2021

After 18 months away and despite the continued presence of COVID-19, fans are confident about returning to full capacity stadiums, but worried about transport to and from the ground and split over mandatory testing to gain entrance.
The results come from our latest annual survey of fan opinion, this time completed by a record 8,358 people. The survey was open from 9 to 18 June 2021. With clubs and the football authorities currently discussing the return to stadiums, we thought it was timely to release figures on this important issue ahead of the full survey results being published at the start of August.

Asked how they were feeling about returning to a full-capacity Tottenham Hotspur Stadium this August, 82% of UK-based respondents said they were feeling confident or very confident. Asked what measures would boost those feelings of confidence inside the stadium, respondents listed:
  • Hand-sanitising stations (52%)
  • Proof of vaccination (48%)
  • Better queue management (45%)
  • Temperature checks (30%)
  • Compulsory mask wearing (28%)
Other frequent suggestions were pre-ordered food and drink delivered to your seat; use of outdoor spaces such as Park Lane Square before the game and at half time; and more staff to serve people more quickly.

We asked how people felt about mandatory COVID-19 testing as a pre-condition to attending Spurs games next season. Some 43% of UK based respondents strongly agreed or agreed, with 31% disagreeing or strongly disagreeing and 26% neither in agreement or disagreement. So that’s a proportion in favour, but evidence of a division of opinion.

Considering which aspects of a match day concerned fans the most, transport to and from the stadium was the biggest by far, with 44% of UK-based respondents citing travel as a worry, followed by the management of concourse and refreshment areas inside the ground at 33% and leaving the stadium after the game at 28%.

With this in mind, we wanted to know how people felt about getting to and from the stadium. Most still intend to use the London Underground, but the percentage saying they would use it fell to 48% from 56%. Those planning on using London Overground fell from 45% to 40%, with National Rail usage dipping from 44% pre-pandemic to 39% post. With car use staying steady at 41%, there’s evidence of a slight shift away from public transport, with more people saying they will use cab services. That’s obviously going to present a challenge for planners with CPZs and road closures in place on event days.

We’ll be sharing the full findings from this section of our survey with the Club, Premier League and Haringey Safety Advisory Group as we look to work together to ensure a safe and practical return of fans next season.

For fans wanting to have a further say on the matter, the Football Supporters’ Association is currently running a short survey on the Return to Grounds and would love to hear from you. You can participate in the FSA survey here.

THST Board
15 July 2021

That's exactly what I did.
OWHL used to sit/stand in the east upper (D block) . My first (and last) visit to NWHL was the Norwich FA Cup game last year in row 29 block 524.
Same view as the old lane but twice as high.
I've sat/stood in all the stands in OWHL in the past but nothing could better the East Stand for me.
Probably had a lot to do with how it looked in the early 70s when I first saw pics of it before even going to the lane, that's where I wanted to be.

Back
Top Bottom