The Trust have called for the board to resign.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's like gnats biting the legs of giants - The Trust are just a bunch of nerds with time to spare - sure they make some good points and keep a dialogue going but it's all just noise.

The reality is ENIC purchased THFC for 60m and twenty years latter under the chairmanship of Levy that investment is now worth 2 billion ... the mid-table going nowhere club they bought is now recognised as part of Europe's elite ...

Now you can call them cunts, greedy, uncaring and anything else, but if you ignore your personal feelings and just look at the facts, they have been incredibly successful both for themselves and for our club.

Dragged our club into the gutter? a cancer to be removed? that's just ignorance and envy talking.

Their failing is not creating a structure to succeed even more on the pitch, and I say even more because when they took over in the previous decade we averaged 12th now we average 5th .... to even the most cynical that's an improvement ... but is it good enough?

With the training ground, stadium, and after Covid the finances in place, no it won't be good enough we need to push on for top 4 or higher ... but to call it cancer, failure, or even pretend that our name has been tarnished from where we were under Sugar ... how short some of your memories must be.

What did he do wrong? He was offered a spot in the EFL and he took it, should he have turned it down?

Sure it was a pile of shit anti-football bunch of crooks scheme, but no way as CEO of a multi-million pound business could he turn that down.

Just imagine it had worked and that Levy turned it down and West Ham took the spot ... when 10,000 people associated with football, restaurants, pubs and hospitality in Tottenham were out of work as the club dropped out of sight on the big stage and crowds dropped to a few thousand ... you'd be screaming that the bald bastard had screwed us over then as well ...

The EFL was a steaming pile, but accepting a place in it was his only realistic option.

Sure he has been made to look an utter cunt, but that doesn't make his decision wrong.
It was a gamble that didn't work out. Any team in this country who says they wouldn't have taken up the invitation are lying. Not that it makes the ESL concept right, it's wrong at every level.

Can't wait to tell city fans celebrating they won the title, that well,
"ramon vega used to have to use a david lloyd gym but now we have our very own gym."
Like I say, we have a lot of fans more concerned about infrastucture & keeping levy/enic than success on the pitch.
The infrastructure clearly needed an overhaul. Can't really argue with it. We've established foundations (no pun intended) to build on. Kudos to Levy for that.

It's important to note that we COULD NOT have borrowed £1 Billion to invest in our squad. Banks would say, "where's the collateral?". We'd say "there: Sanchez, Doherty, Hjobjerg [insert more poorly scouted players costing £1B]". Banks says:

Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

We should have backed Poch. But we didn't have the money at the time. Poch fucked up, too, it's not like he was brutally let down by someone promising him everything and giving nothing. We ended up borrowing a shitload more during covid to buy some (mostly) shit players.

Now, I'm glad that the ESL didn't go ahead, but if it was a case of 'are you in or out?', then Levy was right to put us in the ESL. No question. We would have been TOTALLY FUCKED if it had gone ahead without us. Anyone who thinks otherwise is living in cloud cuckoo land.

We badly need a director of football.

Today from The Trust.

THST Statement: How we change our Club for the better

26/04/2021

Events of the last week have demonstrated beyond doubt that there must be change at Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. The actions of the current Executive Board have inflicted substantial reputational damage on our Club as a result of their involvement in the discredited European Super League, risking damaging consequences. And despite the many achievements off the pitch, the failings on it are all too clear.

We know there is growing supporter anger with the current Club Board and Owners. We understand that. We need to focus that anger.

Supporters showed what can be achieved when we stopped the European Super League plans in their tracks. And we thank everyone who has spoken up. This was a victory achieved by fans showing they were not prepared to let our game be further ruined by greed. Now we need to put forward positive solutions that deliver real change. We have an opportunity to reshape our Club and place fans, and football, front and centre.

We can achieve change if we put forward positive solutions that can gain the backing of the largest number of supporters.

Last Friday, our biggest-ever members' meeting called for the Executive Board of THFC to resign and for the Club’s owners to work with us to create a new board structure that better connects to our principles and priorities, better reflects the diversity of our fan base, and that would prevent a repeat of the ESL debacle from ever shaming our Club again.

We understand the calls for “ENIC Out”. But simply calling for the Board and Owners to resign or sell without influencing what comes next achieves very little in the long term. THST has said for many years that the law must be changed to give fans more power in how our clubs are run. Now the UK government has launched a review to do just that. We are working closely with them to develop a model that will deliver this across the game, and we are drawing up practical measures that can be implemented at our Club.

Our offer to the current THFC owners to work together on this remains open. We know there are many good people within the Club who would welcome the chance to work on solutions. And we know a Club such as ours will be an attractive proposition for prospective owners who recognise the benefits of working with and harnessing the power of our supporters.

The anticipated return of up to 10,000 fans to our stadium in May for the last Premier League home game of the campaign against Aston Villa gives us an opportunity to make our feelings clear. We need to do so in a positive and unified way that gets us the greatest possible support, and stays within COVID regulations under Step 3 of the government’s roadmap out of lockdown. We will announce further plans via this website and on our social media channels.

Change is coming and collectively we can positively influence that change. The last week has shown how much power fans coming together with one voice can have. We intend to use that voice to affect lasting change at THFC.

THST Board
27 April 2021

i can't shake the feeling that Levy has built the future on non football income. Looking at the extracurricular events such as concerts, Rugby of both codes, NFL, boxing, probably cricket in some form, and the boat race if he could swing it. Include hiring out the training ground for International teams and ENIC would have a substantial revenue stream on a regular basis.

Now factor in a highly likely London based NFL team, which would sell out every game. Crowds at these games come early and stay late, spending money all day in both the stadium and 'Europe's biggest megastore.'
Compare that to a relatively short window of spending for Herbert's like us and you can see where the big bucks are. That would be quite a monstrous cuckoo in our cockeral's nest.

Levy, for it is he, would not be too perturbed were we to become a mid table team. He knows that the club will still have a good core support and may be happy with us just to pay the rent.

Appointing NFL coaches would be someone else's problem, he has a team to book concerts and can say yes to just about any other sport wanting the place and he could just sit in his big chair stroking his white cat.

I think we should be told.

After what has happened does anyone really think what us fans or the trust says matters to the board/owners? Lets not act like the protests were the reason the super league was stopped. It was because of the threats from the league, UEFA, FIFA, politicians. Everyone else who wanted to keep control, nothing to do with us fans who have a very small voice.
No one believes that we do. But to say nothing is to tacitly support it. The Trust is accurately reflecting the fans, and taking a stance on what football means to the fans of this club. The board's failings are on them, not on any of us.

Levy needs to go, ENIC need to look for a buyer and sell at a more realistic price than they would like. They'd still make a huge profit and Lewis could enjoy the money for as long as he has left on Earth, which at 84 probably isn't that long!

They've improved the facilities but not through spending out of their own pockets. Either through money the club has earned or loans taken out in its name. Joe Lewis doesn't owe £1bn, the cub does.

They've shown that they're not interested in actually winning trophies and I think that should be painfully obvious to even the fully paid up members of the Levy Fanclub.

Get rid.

Woolwich are in the bottom half now. Does that make them a small club?

Man City were in the third tier not so long ago.

Man Utd were in the second division just a couple of decades before.

Every club will go through a period of performing below their station. That's football. It doesn't make that club a small club.

Before ENIC, Spurs were widely recognised as one of the BIG 5

I'll never understand this small club mentality that some of our own fans use to try and deflect away criticism of the owners. Why do you refuse to acknowledge our rich and illustrious heritage.

One thing to note re ENIC and Levy selling Spurs.....don't count on it.

You can own all sorts of organisations, many which will offer less risk and more profit than a top football club. Build a company, or just buy one.

What you get with a football club like Spurs though, it to have a semblance of Roman emperor style power in your colosseum with 60,000 plebs cheering for you(ish). You can imagine the Mr Burns feels you get sitting in that prime owners box, must be quite the power rush. Even though nobody ever really loves the owners, it's as close as you can get to power and adulation.

If it were me I think I'd actually wear a toga and olive branch crown. One squad member executed at half-time, just to keep them on their toes 👎
Maximus Profitus

I've always had this half crazy theory that when Poch and even Mourinho had their dip in form it wasn't that the players weren't playing for the gaffers.

Personally, I think that they don't want to play for Daniel Levy anymore. From what the everyday spurs fan knows to reading between the lines in interviews from former employees and players that there is more going on behind closed doors than what appears to be going on at the highest levels.

I'm excited for Danny Rose to be released from his contract, mostly for the reason that I bet his first post-Spurs interview is going to blow the lid open on a ton of things.

I’m a bit calmer than earlier in the week. I know ENIC have done some great infrastructural stuff. But they’ve taken so much money out. They have a cash cow in Tottenham and have lined their pockets accordingly. The stadium build debt is on us not them. The Training Ground cost less than Soldado. Levy has taken more money out of the club for his salary than any other Chairman in global football. They’re not custodians. They’re there to make money for themselves. They have to understand - and all owners need to understand - that the fans are the club. They merely control the corporate entity attached to the club. They work for us and the players play for us. Without fans, football is nothing.

ENIC haven't taken a dividend for years. Levy isn't even the best paid chairman or Club exec in the PL.

Their end game is to make a ton of money, but that's not what they have done so far, this notion that Levy/ENIC have "lined their pockets" from the cash cow that is THFC is utter bollocks. Levy gets a salary (and recently a bonus for the stadium), that's pretty much it.

I thought he made £7 mil last year, wasn't it something like £3 mil in salary and £4 mil in bonuses?

I might be wrong here but Im pretty sure I remember that because he furloughed the tottenham staff 20% the same day. I'm sure if we look back on the forums there's a thread on it.

There is a point being missed, I don't give a toss what Levy is paid IF he makes good business decisions for the club, he got a bonus based on a number of objectives being met, we're paying £15m a season for Jose and you can question players wages too. Premier League clubs make a lot of money and they spend a lot too, go check out any club in the league and show me the one that only spends money on buying players and renewing contracts...

The reason that Levy needs to step down is nothing to do with the governance of the club, Spurs is well run off the pitch, even if the footballing decisions over the last 3 seasons are open to debate.

But when you try to put Spurs in to a competition which is effectively a cartel, make no consultation with any of the fans about it at all (because you know damn well that your club's supporters would be dead against it and you just don't care that it could well destabilise domestic football in the UK and other countries too) but all you're thinking is how much money you can pull out of the game and fuck everyone else.. Well then you've just shown you don't give a toss about your fans or what matters to them. It's too bigger breach of trust.

I just don't think they get the perception of pure greed and arrogance that normal people view the 6 clubs with. The owners saw the dollar signs and did not care for the consequence, THST are right, they have to go.

I think the worry is that our Club's name has been tarnished by this proposed scheme, but it won't be the owners who suffer the consequences. My solution would be a huge fine, but the owners have to pay it from their own funds - they can afford it, after all.

I suspect a major driver for Spurs to join is that we missed out on the start of PL due to a previous Chairman almost bancrupting us.

So Spurs at start of PL era started in a very weak position, with a smallish weak squad where the annual target was to beat the drop (relegation). Our average position was about 14th with staying in PL usually only achieved n April.

So with Real Madrid driving a new league and other big clubs joining it the question was whether to join that group or not.

Had we NOT joined and European Superleague happened (replacing CL - NOT PL) I can imagine a similar thread castigating Levy for not joining.

Back
Top Bottom