The Trust have called for the board to resign.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think Levy should half his salary to £1.5m. That gives us £1.5m in the kitty we didn’t have before. How’d you want to spend it this season? Maybe pay Ndombele for 7 weeks? Or maybe we splurge it all on a guy from League 2? Decisions, decisions.....
Would rather give the 5m towards say kane if it keeps him here longer. But I get many would prefer levy get it. 5m towards players or levy? I'd rather players. you seem to not mind either way. We are all different. No right or wrong.

If only it was just that. £4m this year; £7m last year. Add in the awful signings. Add in the expensive manager disasters. His stewarding has not been good from a footballing perspective at all. He’s been en expensive failure on the pitch. And it’s not just his salary, even though, for me, it’s obscene. I don’t care what other FTSE directors get. We’re a football club.
Jose being appointed must have cost us another 25m at least. already up over 30m. Levy just burns money. Then we reward him for it.

That doesn’t necessarily have to be ownership though. The structure needs to change.

Chairman and owners should never be directly recruiting the manager/coach. I fully believe in the 3-tier system. Board/owner/chairman > Sporting director aka general manager > coaching staff
The owners prefer the structure as it is now though. What faith do you have in them in implementing your good idea for the structure?

Jose being appointed must have cost us another 25m at least. already up over 30m. Levy just burns money. Then we reward him for it.
I think Jose was more than just a 'he'll win trophies' signing, it was a 'he'll keep our name in the papers' signing, which is exactly what we need. More exposure, more interest. The fact his methods failed so quickly was *somewhat* predictable (esp. in hindsight), but if our form in early Dec had continued for even another 2 months, we wouldn't be having this conversation and we'd be calling Levy a genius.

All that said, it's hard not to notice that we're still in the running despite an absolute shitshow run of form for 4 months! It's painful, I hate it, but it seems we're not the only ones. The ones who aren't are, not coincidentally, the richest clubs in world football.

We made 113m profit in 2018 .... the highest we made before ENIC was 11m ... the only money anyone is 'burning' is the money they have made for our club ...

I would agree wholeheartedly that we haven't spent well, but you can't fault the cash generation.

How would fan ownership fit with the fact we have about £1 billion in debt. So our debt is equal to about 100 per cent of the value of the club.
If football finance goes tits up after Covid the fans would presumably become jointly liable for repayment.

Fan ownership would have to be through some kind of institution, so presumably that trust or club or whatever form it takes would hold the debt liability.
Is that about right?
5rtZ3qa.png

European Super League: Tottenham fans call for club's board to resign​

Last updated on23 April 202123 April 2021.From the sectionTottenham

Tottenham fans protest against the club's owners
Tottenham fans have held protests against the club's owners in the wake of their involvement in the proposed European Super League
The Tottenham Hotspur Supporters' Trust has urged the club's board to resign after their involvement in an attempt to form a European Super League.
Spurs were one of six Premier League clubs who were set to join the controversial 12-team competition.
ADVERTISEMENT

However, all six withdrew their involvement on Tuesday following resistance to the plans.
In a vote on Friday evening, 90% of the Trust's membership said the board had to resign immediately.
The Trust said in a statement: "The consequences of their decision to attempt to launch this breakaway league could now lead to substantial penalties against Spurs - points deductions, suspension from competition, financial penalties, other sanctions.
"They signed up to this plan knowing they risked all that, and knowing they risked their players being banned from international competition.

'The supporters have been heard and rightly so' - Bruce on ESL
"The responsibility of the club's board is to always act in the best interests of THFC. The current board clearly has not acted in the best interests of the football club. In fact, its action could still lead to outcomes that are in the worst interests of THFC.
"We think their relationship with us is irreparably broken. And we think their continued presence risks punitive action being taken against the club."

ADVERTISEMENT

I don’t think it’s a lot in the grand scheme of things. When we are paying a manager and players +£10m per annum. And we all know that the £7m was including a bonus for delivering the stadium project. So hardly representative of an average.

He’s made some ropey decisions and some very good ones. There’s no denying the quality of the infrastructure, his employment of Redknapp, Poch, Jol in particular, our heightened status and respect over his tenure.

An expensive failure on the pitch? Maybe. Depending on the power he actually wields here. And none of us know. If he’s signing players the managers or scouts don’t want, then fuck him. I doubt he is. But he’s the guy employing those managers and scouts, so at fault there. But does he get credit for hiring Poch, but blasted for signing players like Janssen that Poch maybe wanted? Again, we don’t know.

However, if Stratford was an actual plan, fuck him. And as I’ve said, the ESL debacle has made me think it is time for a change. In fact, I’m back to might be time for a change. The more I read from the usual Levy Out mob, the more I want to change my mind back to in. Reminds me of Bill Hicks saying he’d stop smoking if he didn’t think he’d turn into an ex smoker.
Fair enough - that’s probably the balanced view. I just personally don’t think that football club chairmen and execs should get large salaries. The players and coaches, fair enough. But the custodians of an entity that has been around for over a hundred years - i.e. it’s not a business they’ve created - in my opinion, no.

Fair point the valuation would be offset by the debt, so whilst the value may be 2 billion the debt is 1.2 so net a buyer would be paying around 800m if he just carried the debt forward.
Is the debt really that high?

Read somewhere that it was about £600k

Even more than one of stevee stevee ’s houses!

Fair enough - that’s probably the balanced view. I just personally don’t think that football club chairmen and execs should get large salaries. The players and coaches, fair enough. But the custodians of an entity that has been around for over a hundred years - i.e. it’s not a business they’ve created - in my opinion, no.
No, they’ve not created the business, but they put their time and money in to making it grow. So I’m fine with it. Same as if someone buys Tesco. They didn’t start it, but are investing time and money into it, so deserve reward.

It was fine back in the dim and distant where club owners were the local butcher or pub owner, but we’ve just been caught up in a wave. A wave we almost certainly started when we went public in 82.

As it stands now, Levy should be paid along the lines of where we are in the wages table, probably 6th highest in the league? But has delivered huge infrastructural positives, so up a couple of places. So he’s higher paid than he should be, but by a million a year maybe. Which is fuck all really.

Fair point the valuation would be offset by the debt, so whilst the value may be 2 billion the debt is 1.2 so net a buyer would be paying around 800m if he just carried the debt forward.

Jesus

I would like to buy a company from you if you think that is how things works.

A buyer will not be paying 800m net for us, they will be paying in the range of 2bn plus nett.
The long-term debt is more than serviceable by future income.

Buyer is acquiring the assets (multi purpose stadium, training facilities, players, fanbase, Premier League membership etc.) less the liabilities, profit expectation (10 years worth is usually a ball park figure used in valuations) and goodwill. No way it would go for less then 2bn nett, even with the stadium debt. The stadium debt, together with all the assets is already part of the valuation.

Just think about your absurdity of your statement.
If an enterpreneur wanted to create an equivalent to Spurs
They would need a 1.2bn stadium, which would take a couple of years to build, spend maybe 600m on players, but would start at the lowest level of football. They would probably be looking at it costing 3 to 4 billion to get to the stage where Spurs are at, as the income in initial years would be way lower, which is why I think valuation of 2bn may be a bit south of reality anyway.

What you have basically said is that if a large corporate was independently valued at 100bn, had assets of £200bn, liabilities of £150bn, the current owners would have to pay the new owners 50bn to take it off their hands, because you deduct the liabilities off the valuation.

Sorry any credibility on finance you may have had is totally lost for me, and anybody else that actually does understand finance (I have spent life as FX trader, Finance Director of various companies, CFO and now in Trade Finance and been involved in numerous mergers and acquisitions)

Last edited:
Chelsea, Woolwich and Liverpool have all played since the announcement and none of them won. Were the players affected by the demonstrations? we do not know but despite bucking the trend and winning Wednesday we do not need a demonstration on Sunday. MC fans unlike Utd live in Manchester and are hardly likely to turn up at Wednesday to protest. Our chances of winning are slim but lets not distract the players with a demo at Wembley.

It's admirable that the supporters trust think that making a statement will force anyone's hand at Tottenham.

The world has moved on and big business is what football is all about - not the fans.

Lets just face it, it was UEFA, FIFA and the many governments around the world as well as united condemnation across the mainstream media that put paid to the ESL - the fan reaction on its own would have had little impact.

If the Spurs old faithful desert the team then there are millions around the world with cash in their pockets to fill the void.

Levy will draw a line under it and that will be that - he is not going anywhere unless he chooses to or ENIC chooses to sell Spurs.

Chelsea, Woolwich and Liverpool have all played since the announcement and none of them won. Were the players affected by the demonstrations? we do not know but despite bucking the trend and winning Wednesday we do not need a demonstration on Sunday. MC fans unlike Utd live in Manchester and are hardly likely to turn up at Wednesday to protest. Our chances of winning are slim but lets not distract the players with a demo at Wembley.
And what would we even be protesting about?

Getting ENIC out????? Getting Levy out???

Even if ENIC did sell, it would be to another company that would be a carbon copy of ENIC - profits before fans every time no matter who is in charge.

The only thing a protest may do, is distract the players which is the last thing we want.

We made 113m profit in 2018 .... the highest we made before ENIC was 11m ... the only money anyone is 'burning' is the money they have made for our club ...
Which coincided with us becoming the first club in any major league to spend £0.00p on the football team in a whole summer transfer window.
Backed up by the same cowardice in the winter window.

If you can't understand why so many fans feel uncomfortable with this then I seriously have to question if you're a football fan at all. Let alone a Spurs fan.

It's admirable that the supporters trust think that making a statement will force anyone's hand at Tottenham.

The world has moved on and big business is what football is all about - not the fans.

Lets just face it, it was UEFA, FIFA and the many governments around the world as well as united condemnation across the mainstream media that put paid to the ESL - the fan reaction on its own would have had little impact.

If the Spurs old faithful desert the team then there are millions around the world with cash in their pockets to fill the void.

Levy will draw a line under it and that will be that - he is not going anywhere unless he chooses to or ENIC chooses to sell Spurs.
Tired Excuse Me GIF by Spotify

Back
Top Bottom