Tim Sherwood

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I liked Sherwood because he was a much needed change after AVB. Managing Spurs and that trainwreck Aston Villa are two very different things though. Not surprised it looks like a disaster so far.

I liked Sherwood because he was a much needed change after AVB. Managing Spurs and that trainwreck Aston Villa are two very different things though. Not surprised it looks like a disaster so far.

The avb project was clearly broken and I don't think it was all his fault, but a change was probably required in hindsight. (I would have stuck with him a while longer though)

But I stand by my original post in this thread that said that if we were looking for an improvement as a club going forward why put an amateur in charge full time? What was this decision based on? It was a complete joke and thank god we got rid when we did because I could totally have seen us going down the pan if he'd stuck around longer

The avb project was clearly broken and I don't think it was all his fault, but a change was probably required in hindsight. (I would have stuck with him a while longer though)

But I stand by my original post in this thread that said that if we were looking for an improvement as a club going forward why put an amateur in charge full time? What was this decision based on? It was a complete joke and thank god we got rid when we did because I could totally have seen us going down the pan if he'd stuck around longer
We can only speculate about the reasons why Levy actually appointed Sherwood. Could be as simple as AVB walking anyway and Levy not finding anyone available at the time that he thought suited. Sherwood was a gamble for sure, but it got us through the season without any dramatic drop in the table. I think the 18 month contract (with a break clause) reflected Levy's doubts about the whole thing. At the moment..letting him go early and getting Poch in definitely looks like the right call.

I think it's clear enough that Sherwood was never a permanent manager, simply an extended stopgap. He negotiated himself an 18 month contract for the security/payout which is fair enough, but I don't for a moment think it was ever intended that he'd carry on beyond the end of the season.

I don't know if we had Poch already in mind, or already agreed, or even someone else intended - but I'm positive that was the plan, to give Sherwood the job of seeing out the season then bringing in a permanent manager in the Summer.

It seems sensible to me - it must be awful having to take over a team mid-campaign. Almost like trying to build an aeroplane whilst it's flying, or something.

Showing his true colours at Villa.

Still talking the talk and showing his arrogance, even in the dire situation he finds himself in.

And to think, people wanted him kept on at Spurs.

Seriously, where does he get his sense of achievement from? He carries the same swagger as Mourinho, yet with fuck all reason to do so.

He raised some valid points about the squad we had at the time - buying in too many average players that didn't care about the club and didn't have the right motivation. Since then we've cleared out a huge amount of deadwood and brought in young players and given a few youth players a chance which they've taken.

However he fancied himself as a Redknapp lite without any of the experience or achievements, how he expected to be given the full time manager job with us must've been bravado bullshit. Surprised Villa have taken a chance on him, just another bad decision for that lot which has been going on for years.

I remember his 6-8 months with more fondness than the previous year.....

Where do you think Aston Villa would be if they had Jose Mourinho in charge?

They probably wouldn't have bought so many shit players for one.

The guy is an amateur that a lot of us saw straight through from the start. I said at the time that he spoke with an air of authority that he had done nothing to earn. It was an insult to all the good english managers that have been busting their guts in the lower leagues for years that he walked into a top level job all bravado, cliches and made up stories.

Last edited:

I think they'd probably be where they are now. However, I would love to see if Mourinho is actually any good without the resources at his disposal.
Rather like why LVG didn't come to Spurs. He'd have no budget to spend. Kind of like why Monaco refused to sell Martial, insisting he was the only player hat was not available at Moncaco, and then gave him an improved contract to make sure.
I seem to remember lot of the journo's questioning why we would be willing to fork out so very much for much for him. Implying that we were naive and there was better about for the money.
The LVG and Man U snatch him for £36m (rising to £58m). He's know been awarded player of the month. What insight LVG and Man U have eh?
LVG would not have been able to sign any of the players he has if he was with us.
Chavs don't exactly bring a lot of players through the ranks, even though they buy every young player going.
Managing Porto in the Portuguese league is like managing either Chavs, City or Man U here. There are only 3 teams in with a chance of winning the league there too Porto, Sporting and Benfica. Either one of those 3 has won the title since 1934 bar once - in 2000 I think -when Boavista won the league. Sort of guaranteed to get into the CL to have a go.

From 2004-present at Chavs, Inter, Real and Chavs:
in: £751.5m
out: £400.7
net spend : £350.8m

Funny enough in his last seasons before he jogged on at each of those 3 spells ( before returning to Chavs) he either sold more than he bought or broke even. Each of those last seasons he failed to win the title ( or the CL)

I would like to see some of these managers actually giving themselves a challenge and taking on a team like Villla, Everton, Spurs etc. See if they can improve those teams standing without having bundles to spend.
Have to admire Klopp a little, even though it's really a no one situation I suppose, as he could have probably waited until one of the 'big' jobs came about.

Fair enough but I had no fondness for that time whatsoever. Despite some decent results and ade's resurrection, I was utterly embarrassed to have him representing our club like it was some Sunday league pub side. Unfortunately the good points he occasionally made (players giving up at Chelsea, needing to bring through youth) we vastly overshadowed by the immense about of bullshit coming out of his mouth and the mostly disorganised crap he called tactics.

I don't really know what your point about mourinho is? But I would assume pochettino wouldn't have them near the bottom of the table if he were there.

Fair enough but I had no fondness for that time whatsoever. Despite some decent results and ade's resurrection, I was utterly embarrassed to have him representing our club like it was some Sunday league pub side. Unfortunately the good points he occasionally made (players giving up at Chelsea, needing to bring through youth) we vastly overshadowed by the immense about of bullshit coming out of his mouth and the mostly disorganised crap he called tactics.

I don't really know what your point about mourinho is? But I would assume pochettino wouldn't have them near the bottom of the table if he were there.
When Tactical Tim was in charge, for the first time in my life I didn't enjoy going to Spurs. What got me through was that each game was one step closer to the cunt leaving the club.

See its odd, i didnt find his press conferences embarrassing they are just a media circus where the manager comes out with a load of cliched nonsense - i did find the whole "we is us" from WHN laughable though yet people lapped that up.

You cant say that about Pochettino, you arent allowed to judge him till he's been at Villa for at least 12 months had time to get rid of the deadwood and bring his own players through. :pochsmirk:

See its odd, i didnt find his press conferences embarrassing they are just a media circus where the manager comes out with a load of cliched nonsense - i did find the whole "we is us" from WHN laughable though yet people lapped that up.

You cant say that about Pochettino, you arent allowed to judge him till he's been at Villa for at least 12 months had time to get rid of the deadwood and bring his own players through. :pochsmirk:
He came out with a few gems today:

Aston Villa boss Tim Sherwood has been fronting up to the media after rumours emerged that he could lose his job should Villa lose to Chelsea on Saturday.

The Englishman is in defiant mood: "Once I get through this period everyone will benefit. Aston Villa will and Tim Sherwood will," he said.

"I'm a football manager and am responsible for results. That's what I'm paid for. I'll stand up to this."

After being booed off after losing to Stoke last time out Sherwood was equally confident that he'll win them around. "They were singing my name three weeks ago - they'll be singing my name in another three weeks."

10931142_10153126718790848_281382614718734348_n.jpg

speaking of Villa.

what a fall from top tier football this guy had

Back
Top Bottom