Tim Sherwood

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just saw this:

Bj_W9LBIQAAF1W0.jpg

pwHN1z6.jpg

I genuinely think its absolutely mental.

Imagine, for a second, its the beginning of August, and I post

Hey guys, my prediction for this season:
We are going to get off to our best start ever, by Dec we will have matched our best haul to that point
We will be in a league cup qtr final
Through in the FA cup
And through in Europe having won every single game.

We wont have been playing well, but we will have brought 7 news players which might explain it

Then we are going to sack AVB

You would all, to a man, piss yourselves, and ask me what I am smoking.

Then I go on, like nostradamus:

Once AVB is gone we will put Sherwood in temporary charge ("not to bad", I suspect you think, "fair enough")

He will lose to West Ham, at home, again.
Not by putting in a plucky performance, but by gambling wildly with only one CM on the pitch.
Then we will beat SCBC with an equally reckless team, in a Keeganesque style of set up
Including passing over Holtby and Capoue on the bench for Bentaleb getting his debut, away, in a must win game

Of course by now Im getting Sammy levels of troll accusations, not only do you think Im on a wind up but you think Im being a cunt as well. But Im not done there!

Then we will give Sherwood an 18 month contract to not only see us through this season but next as well!

Am I in the sin bin yet? :avbfacepalm:

Yes, Im being facaetious, but the point needs to be made. So many of you are telling me it all makes sense, its a good choice and its a sensible thing to do - but honestly - read through that and tell me you wouldnt have said I was fucking insane if I told you all this just a month ago.

This is not a good move on any scale, it really isnt.

I can only hope Sherwood is hiding his inner Guardiola and is about to come into his own.

So far I have seen naive moves made by a manager with a hell of a lot to learn, someone gambling with nothing to lose because he is using somebody elses chips. I have seen no design, no plan, and basically no defending either.

IMHO, if we line up like we did at SCBC against better teams we will get spanked and deservedly so.

Now that Sherwood has the job I pray he takes it more seriously. With some consideration to defence his adventurous style could be a revelation. Fingers crossed he has been reckless on the basis he has nothing to lose. Now he does, so now he gets to show us what he is made of. Take it seriously Tim, impress us.

I really like that he has unlocked the attacking players. I dont think they are entirely fluent yet, but there are clear signs they are coming together. It does, however, need to be balanced with the idea we wont be playing League 1 defenders every week.

Right now I feel as though the season has been written off.

Of course the 18 months is meaningless, it gets Sherwood on board but make no mistake Levy will sack him in the summer if he isnt impressing. Or if someone more appealing hitches their skirt.

I havent a clue what Levy is doing. I think he doesnt either. Clearly sacking AVB was without a plan B, without real consideration. And clearly no one worthy was interested.

I think Sherwood has the job by default. Right now, based on what Ive seen (and the obvious fact he has no experience) I dont think he is up to it. I hope, pray, and beg he proves me wrong and before the end of the season Im eating humble pie.

Sherwood is now our manager. I want nothing more than his unbridled success from now.

I thought he was tactically superb today. Absolutely excellent. The tendency of one of the two strikers to drop wide and deep (usually Ade on the left) allowed a 451 shape when defending and countering, giving Eriksen the freedom to play more centrally. This paid big time dividends when Eriksen had space on the right to whip a great cross for Ade and when he appeared in the middle to head home Lennon's cross. However, we still had the benefits of two recognisable forwards for goalscoring and creating for each other (how good is Soldado's crossing and through balling for a 'poacher'?).

We played a much deeper defensive line than under AVB and were prepared to allow United onto us and hit them on the counter. It played to the strengths of Dawson who was able to play his preferred game of last ditch shit, cross blocking and being able to play with the game in front of him rather than over his shoulder. Chiriches and Walker were also excellent. Towards the end of this game Dawson was the perfect defender to have, fearlessly defending their onslaught and naturally leading the defence. Lloris looked blundersome once or twice but some of his saves late on won us the game. It was the first time in recent memory we have played a top side and I have had minimal fear from their attacks from open play (until the final 20 minutes in which I was terrified).

The gameplan was to draw them forwards and sucker punch them on the counter. Drop the defensive line, have two midfielders preparing to drop deep to take the ball out of defence and then push forward to support the attack. Adebayor is the perfect player to pick the ball up in a wide position near the halfway line and run directly at the defence. Soldado's positioning stretched their defence - a single striker would've allowed Adebayor to have been closed down out of the counter. Lennon's pace, dribbling, crossing and defensive workrate were all invaluable in this gameplan and he was excellent. He terrorised Evra all afternoon. Eriksen and one of the two MCs were the able to join the attack shortly after. The only real downside to the way we played was a lack of defensive coverage for Rose. This showed as he was clearly the weak defensive link and Moyes shifted Januzaj to their right to exploit him with some success.

Well done Tim Sherwood, magnificent display, and you are starting to win me over. Props for the "we're a bit disappointed, they were there for the taking" comment.

Harry Kane MOM for this:

Back
Top Bottom