Tim Sherwood

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As far as Sherwood v Woolwich goes...

He obviously gave up the middle of the pitch in order to overload them on the wings. The problem is that their midfield three is so fluid that they could react to any of these situations if we gave them any time and, over the weekend as over the season, we have looked ponderous when we are in possession.

It could have been a very different game if we were moving the ball quicker. I suppose we'll have to see how Sherwood copes with the increasing scrutiny after that game. Perhaps it's a shame because before that game, I had some real confidence after the win at Old Trafford and a slow build up of 10 points out of the first 12 available.

He effectively has this half-season to build a case for him to be our manager long term. My own feeling is that this means he has to achieve what we thought AVB must - Europa league trophy or top 4.

BdT2HxfIgAA9jeW.jpg

Oh dear.........:paulinhobored::avbcringe:

The best ever post on this forum, cannot stop laughing at that picture. The cycle is beginning again. Sherwood to be linked to the England job in the summer after England's nightmare world cup:sherwoodwtf::harryhmm:

Last edited:
As much as I wanted to see Capoue start over Bentaleb, I still don't subscribe to the theory that Sherwood's midfield cost us the game against the scum.

Bottom line is the players have showed more grit and determination against Stoke and United than against West Ham and Woolwich, regardless of the manager or tactics or other circumstances.

As far as Sherwood v Woolwich goes...

He obviously gave up the middle of the pitch in order to overload them on the wings. The problem is that their midfield three is so fluid that they could react to any of these situations if we gave them any time and, over the weekend as over the season, we have looked ponderous when we are in possession.

It could have been a very different game if we were moving the ball quicker. I suppose we'll have to see how Sherwood copes with the increasing scrutiny after that game. Perhaps it's a shame because before that game, I had some real confidence after the win at Old Trafford and a slow build up of 10 points out of the first 12 available.

He effectively has this half-season to build a case for him to be our manager long term. My own feeling is that this means he has to achieve what we thought AVB must - Europa league trophy or top 4.
I thought Dembélé & Bentaleb starting in the centre of a flat 4, regardless of the opposition, was a poor choice. Both attacking minded, neither of them are defensively capable to break up play. Too often they both pushed forward, leaving a huge gap in behind - which is why Gnabry had so much space and time to slip in Cazorla.
Capoue should have started, and I hope Tim knows that now. I'd hate to think that he is trying to push Nabil through for his own reputation - "look what I've produced!" - and that he will do what's best for the team.

It was a bad choice of game to give Bentaleb his full debut - particularly as it unbalanced the midfield and we had the player to balance it sat on the bench.

I thought Dembélé & Bentaleb starting in the centre of a flat 4, regardless of the opposition, was a poor choice. Both attacking minded, neither of them are defensively capable to break up play. Too often they both pushed forward, leaving a huge gap in behind - which is why Gnabry had so much space and time to slip in Cazorla.
Capoue should have started, and I hope Tim knows that now. I'd hate to think that he is trying to push Nabil through for his own reputation - "look what I've produced!" - and that he will do what's best for the team.

It was a bad choice of game to give Bentaleb his full debut - particularly as it unbalanced the midfield and we had the player to balance it sat on the bench.

Walkers positioning allowed Gnabry to play in Cazorla, nothing to do with the middle.

Capoue was playing when we got beat 1 nil remember. (and was shockingly poor)

Walkers positioning allowed Gnabry to play in Cazorla, nothing to do with the middle.

Capoue was playing when we got beat 1 nil remember. (and was shockingly poor)
Walker let Cazorla go, but my point was why Gnabry had so much space. Nothing to do with Walker. Our midfield was nowhere to be seen. The gap between our defence and midfield must've been a dream for them to play in.

The first time Harry beat them I thought was a tactical masterclass.

We defended the width of our box like our lives depended on it. Pushed them wide where, frankly, they are useless. They were toothless and we picked them off on the break. We finished the game with something like 30% possession, yet the possession they had we gave them because it was in harmless areas. It was the first time I was genuinely impressed with Harry, and served as a blue print for our next few games against them.

Redknapp has always been one of those managers who says "We worry about our game..." and yet he saw Woolwich needed more consideration than that.

Sherwood did not show the same respect and was undone. We may well have lost had he played a DM, or a 5 man midfield or some other compensatory effort but I wouldnt have minded if it had us in the game. As it is I think we went in over confident and were never in the match, not really.

We were in the game till Rose decided to start fannying about, in fact i was quite confident we would get one the longer the game went on, but after that it was game over.

Fuck me. This thread is taking on a Groundhog Day like quality.

Sherwood fucked us by not playing Capoue.
No, Rose fucked us.
Rinse and repeat.

How many days until we play again..:paulinhobored:

We were in the game till Rose decided to start fannying about, in fact i was quite confident we would get one the longer the game went on, but after that it was game over.

...we really weren't you know!

Yes, the scoreline would suggest there was only one goal in it, but the previous 60 minutes told me there was only one team in it!
Sorry, it still hurts to admit!

...we really weren't you know!

Yes, the scoreline would suggest there was only one goal in it, but the previous 60 minutes told me there was only one team in it!
Sorry, it still hurts to admit!

If only Eriksen-sen-sen had put that first one past Fabianski... The outcome could have been so different. But after that one chance, the scum were a constant threat, the quick passing game between santi, rosicky and gnabry combined with the huge gap between midfield and defense just gave them the perfect conditions to control the game. Everytime they attacked, they were 3 against our CBs and possibly one of Rose and Walker - everytime we hit back on the break, they managed to get 6 people in front of their own goal. Completely outmaneuvered.

Yeah, this was a tactical hammering but only Sherwood's 5th game in charge at this level. It's the kind of game that a good coach would learn from and take forward so I'm sure we'll find out before the end of the season whether he's got what it takes to evolve and adapt.

Yeah, this was a tactical hammering but only Sherwood's 5th game in charge at this level. It's the kind of game that a good coach would learn from and take forward so I'm sure we'll find out before the end of the season whether he's got what it takes to evolve and adapt.

Fair point. It's nice that he gets to experience his first few games in management and learning curve with us
:troll:

Back
Top Bottom