Tim Sherwood

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's still too early yet, as one major factor is that we haven't conceded first against any side under Sherwood, so it would be interesting to see our teams reaction to going a goal down. Will we keep our heads or lose them like we did under AVB?

We went one down at Southampton.

I thought he was tactically superb today. Absolutely excellent. The tendency of one of the two strikers to drop wide and deep (usually Ade on the left) allowed a 451 shape when defending and countering, giving Eriksen the freedom to play more centrally. This paid big time dividends when Eriksen had space on the right to whip a great cross for Ade and when he appeared in the middle to head home Lennon's cross. However, we still had the benefits of two recognisable forwards for goalscoring and creating for each other (how good is Soldado's crossing and through balling for a 'poacher'?).

We played a much deeper defensive line than under AVB and were prepared to allow United onto us and hit them on the counter. It played to the strengths of Dawson who was able to play his preferred game of last ditch shit, cross blocking and being able to play with the game in front of him rather than over his shoulder. Chiriches and Walker were also excellent. Towards the end of this game Dawson was the perfect defender to have, fearlessly defending their onslaught and naturally leading the defence. Lloris looked blundersome once or twice but some of his saves late on won us the game. It was the first time in recent memory we have played a top side and I have had minimal fear from their attacks from open play (until the final 20 minutes in which I was terrified).

The gameplan was to draw them forwards and sucker punch them on the counter. Drop the defensive line, have two midfielders preparing to drop deep to take the ball out of defence and then push forward to support the attack. Adebayor is the perfect player to pick the ball up in a wide position near the halfway line and run directly at the defence. Soldado's positioning stretched their defence - a single striker would've allowed Adebayor to have been closed down out of the counter. Lennon's pace, dribbling, crossing and defensive workrate were all invaluable in this gameplan and he was excellent. He terrorised Evra all afternoon. Eriksen and one of the two MCs were the able to join the attack shortly after. The only real downside to the way we played was a lack of defensive coverage for Rose. This showed as he was clearly the weak defensive link and Moyes shifted Januzaj to their right to exploit him with some success.

Well done Tim Sherwood, magnificent display, and you are starting to win me over. Props for the "we're a bit disappointed, they were there for the taking" comment.

Harry Kane MOM for this:

Absolutely spot on.

I don't know whether anyone else has noticed the subtleties to our game that Tim's brought. I first noticed it against West Brom, it seemed like the ball boys were given strict guidance on WBA time wasting and it culminated in one of the ball boys placing the goal kick for Foster.

Then at the United game, I noticed subtle time consuming tactics by our players, something I haven't seen in our side, not this subtlety and not this early in a game. It's the type of tactic the likes of Bolton & Stoke would use against us in previous seasons.

Tim brings a nasty and dirty side to our game reflected in our players playing harder, see also Dembele, Capoue & Adebeyor tangle with Rooney. He also let's the personalities be themselves, for instance Ade's a big character and he let's him be him, thereby annulling the intimidation factor many teams like United would normally have against us.

Under Jol we were pansies, under Ramos we were worse, we got alot better under Harry and this helped team spirit. Under AVB, the one thing I did like was that we were much more solid and played as a unit but to the total detriment of our attacking play. Sherwood seems to have the balance right, after a few games.

It's still too early yet, as one major factor is that we haven't conceded first against any side under Sherwood, so it would be interesting to see our teams reaction to going a goal down. Will we keep our heads or lose them like we did under AVB?

Anyway, the dirtier the better, we've been a bit soft for far too long and with big cunts like Dembele, Capoue, Sandro, Kaboul, Dawson, Ade and athletic cunts like Walker and Fryers, and little midget buff cunts like Rose & Lennon, were a pretty beefy side, just need the nasty side of the game to be mastered and we'll win the league! (If Levy pays off the F.A & ref's association and FIFA like the 'top 4' regularly do!

Great post

Been in and around football for over 40 years! If you have a group of players of average ability, i.e they have decent observation and can make a controlled accomplished pass (not Hollywood, onthe ground, with weight an accuracey of approximately 10-15 yards and team mates who appreciate/understands the benefit of movement and what movement means/ achieves! Then you will always see attractive, smart, quick tempo football!

FIFA 14 thread is a graveyard, but I had to tell someone so I'll just post it here.

Just started a Valencia career mode and one of the articles addresses Tim Sherwood talking about Soldado. I'm impressed, did not expect EA to update like that.

Also, Soldado made team of the week...hm.

Found an article from Squawka on Sherwood and the way he changed things since he is in charge. Worth a read.

http://www.squawka.com/news/2014/01/03/the-sherwood-effect/2014010349660

When Andre Villas-Boas was given his marching orders from White Hart Lane, many Tottenham fans were wondering who could take over and help the side push for the top four. But four games later few are doubting that Tim Sherwood is the right man for the job.

With three wins in his first four games, including impressive away victories at Southampton and Manchester United, Sherwood has instilled some confidence back in a side that had only taken eight points from their previous seven Premier League encounters.

This screenshot was taken from the Squawka Football App – Download it here for free

The key to this success has been a change in formation. Villas-Boas stuck rigidly to a system using one striker, but Roberto Soldado was not having much joy in front of goal and often found himself extremely isolated, meaning he would have to drop deep to collect the ball and leave no-one high up the pitch.

Now, with the reintroduction of Emmanuel Adebayor, Spurs have a more potent attacking threat and the midfielders have plenty of options going forward. The Londoners pose more problems for their opposition, having scored nine goals in Sherwood’s four games in charge, compared to just 15 in 16 under Villas-Boas.

The question is whether this is the much-touted ‘honeymoon period’ for a new manager, or whether Sherwood’s alternative brand of football is the right fit for Spurs, and so far it looks like the latter.

Defensively, Michael Dawson appears to be forming a strong partnership with Vlad Chiriches in the middle and, while Hugo Lloris is prone to the odd moment of rashness, the Spurs back line looks more solid already. Chiriches is only 24 but is showing signs of real maturity and awareness, especially in his last two performances.

In the win at Old Trafford the Romania international made nine successful clearances out of nine and, although he had a close run-in with Danny Welbeck for a potential penalty claim (which was seen by many as a dive), he has stepped up in recent weeks, meaning Jan Vertonghen may find it very hard to get back into the side at his preferred role of centre-back when he returns from injury.

The Sherwood effect, then, is clearly paying dividends despite what many hailed as the premature sacking of his predecessor and hiring of an as-yet unproven coach. The new Spurs boss’ next challenges are to maintain the form on three fronts, with a huge FA Cup clash against Woolwich on Saturday, a Premier League clash against Manchester City coming up, and the last 32 of the Europa League to contend with next month.

As well as this, Sherwood faces the prospect of the return of many injured players, including Paulinho, Lewis Holtby, Gylfi Sigurdsson and Andros Townsend. With so many calls to make in midfield, the 44-year-old will have to strongly resist the temptation to tinker with what is currently proving to be a winning formula.

Exclusive: Tottenham Manager Tim Sherwood Keen to Add Sky Sports Pundit Jamie Redknapp To Coaching Staff

Tottenham head-coach Tim Sherwood wants to add former Spurs midfielder Jamie Redknapp to his back-room staff, CaughtOffside understands.

Sky Sports pundit Redknapp, whose father Harry brought Sherwood to White Hart Lane in 2008, has no coaching experience but is close friends with the new Spurs boss.

Sherwood, 44, was appointed successor to Andre Villas-Boas last month and has made a strong start to his managerial career, picking up 10 points from a possible 12 so far.

Spurs’ coaching staff was severely depleted by Villas-Boas’ departure, with the Portuguese’s three assistants – Luis Martins, Jose Maria Rocha and Daniel Sousa – all leaving with the 36-year-old.

Sherwood is eager to keep Les Ferdinand in senior role but would like Chris Ramsey and Steffen Freund to focus on the development squads, which should free up a space for Redknapp, 40.

The former Liverpool and Portsmouth player is eager to continue in some capacity at Sky, however, and is hopeful of negotiating a similar deal to fellow pundit Gary Neville, who assists Roy Hodgson with the England squad.

It remains to be seen if this arrangement could function at club level but Redknapp is a highly-regarded figure within the game and his father Harry has admitted he often consulted his son in-game during his tenure as Spurs boss.

Yeah this is from a less reliable source, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens.

Sherwood suffers from delusions of grandeur, he thinks he knows best. but the truth is he is only winning because of ADEBAYOR .Now the introduction of adebayor is great but this is an unstable player who blows hot and cold. If this is who we will build the team around then we are certainly asking for trouble.

Now that Adebayor did not turn up (surprise surprise). We could not outscore Woolwich. Looking back at the Southampton and Manu game you will notice they carved us open continously. If it wasn't for some brave defending by our back 4 who were put in many one vs one situations, we would have lost those games.

Trust sherwood to say some nonsense like ' the ball did not roll to us'. You play 4-4-2 against a team like Woolwich, not to mention taking the mickey out of them by putting bentaleb on, you are really asking for trouble. Meanwhile we have a french tank on the bench that fckin tim sherwood is freezing out the team. It is ridiculous.

I am glad levy is attending many games, HE NEEDS TO LEARN ABOUT FOOTBALL, and stop clowning around in the transfer and then using the manager as a scapegoat. We need to build BALANCED teams with a rational transfer strategy (Like Woolwich and Chelsea).And when the shit hits the fan we don't fire the manager to bring in a glorified PE teacher who is ***** clueless.

Sherwood suffers from delusions of grandeur, he thinks he knows best. but the truth is he is only winning because of ADEBAYOR .Now the introduction of adebayor is great but this is an unstable player who blows hot and cold. If this is who we will build the team around then we are certainly asking for trouble.

Now that Adebayor did not turn up (surprise surprise). We could not outscore Woolwich. Looking back at the Southampton and Manu game you will notice they carved us open continously. If it wasn't for some brave defending by our back 4 who were put in many one vs one situations, we would have lost those games.

Trust sherwood to say some nonsense like ' the ball did not roll to us'. You play 4-4-2 against a team like Woolwich, not to mention taking the mickey out of them by putting bentaleb on, you are really asking for trouble. Meanwhile we have a french tank on the bench that fckin tim sherwood is freezing out the team. It is ridiculous.
yes yes yes

I am also concerned about the transfer rumours.4-4-2 is not the way forward. If there are players to shift in the summer then let someone like van gaal or experienced manager do that job not sherwood.How can players like defoe (obviously on his way out),Lamela,Holtby and Sigurdsson suddenly pick up injuries, it sounds suspicious and I will be upset if sherwood is meddaling with getting certain players forced out.

Back
Top Bottom