Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

DktmKMRXgAAbP6Q.jpg

If we get a good offer from Bayern, we should sell surely?

And go balls deep for De Ligt in Jan?
Given the trouble we are experiencing in signing genuine quality, maybe it would be best to kiss and make up regarding Toby. It's all very well for Poch to want to emulate Fergie by bombing out players who have crossed him, but that old rascal had no shortage of money to spend on replacement players.

We concede more - but we win more. Interesting.

3CBs vs 2CBs likely plays a big part in that, but Jan/Kev had a better win ratio too the season before we started mixing it up.

If you're prepared to leap to conclusions, whatever way you slice it, we're better off without TA.

Curious.

We concede more - but we win more. Interesting.

That tells me one of two things. One is that we rely on absorbing games defensively more when Toby is in the team or two that during the majority of games we played with him out of the team, with that being last year really, the team either got more success in goals scored having the bigger Wembley pitch or that the team are maturing as a goal scoring threat. It would be interesting to see the % breakdown from Toby's participation & games missed season on season

That tells me one of two things. One is that we rely on absorbing games defensively more when Toby is in the team or two that during the majority of games we played with him out of the team, with that being last year really, the team either got more success in goals scored having the bigger Wembley pitch or that the team are maturing as a goal scoring threat. It would be interesting to see the % breakdown from Toby's participation & games missed season on season
That is one possibility. Another is that our goal differential is better with him in the lineup (lower goals conceded/negligible goals scored difference) and the equal win records with and without him are a result of randomness and unrelated variables.

If we get a good offer from Bayern, we should sell surely?

And go balls deep for De Ligt in Jan?
I'd much rather get 50M for him now than 25M for him next year when his release clause gets triggered. That being said though, I've stressed that we fucked up not getting proper backup/bench spots for this season/cups/CL so it would be nice to have a steller CB as a backup for Sanchez/Jan.

I'd much rather get 50M for him now than 25M for him next year when his release clause gets triggered. That being said though, I've stressed that we fucked up not getting proper backup/bench spots for this season/cups/CL so it would be nice to have a steller CB as a backup for Sanchez/Jan.

We really do have some tough transfer work ahead of us with the losses of Dembele &a Toby especially. There's a lot of deadwood underneath what is clearly a talented first XI and selling them off for as high a price as possible is as important as the acquiring of a top quality player now. Plenty of wheeling and dealing needs to happen, we are slowly running out of time when it comes to continuously signing poor quality only to have the ability to fall back on our first XI to bail us out

We really do have some tough transfer work ahead of us with the losses of Dembele &a Toby especially. There's a lot of deadwood underneath what is clearly a talented first XI and selling them off for as high a price as possible is as important as the acquiring of a top quality player now. Plenty of wheeling and dealing needs to happen, we are slowly running out of time when it comes to continuously signing poor quality only to have the ability to fall back on our first XI to bail us out
Absolutely. We're coming up to a time where if we don't do the right moves we could be well fucked like Woolwich was a few seasons ago.

Absolutely. We're coming up to a time where if we don't do the right moves we could be well fucked like Woolwich was a few seasons ago.

I genuinely see areas for concern Squad wise over the next 12-24 months being the following:

Vorm, Gazzaniga, Rose, Toby, Jan (turns 32 next year), Dembele, Sissoko, Wanyama (injuries are a concern), Nkoudou, Janssen & Llorente with the jury still out on Lucas, Aurier & Lamela.

Chuck Eriksen into the mix with him entering his 2nd from last year of his contract with us and there's 15 players with question marks hanging over them for whatever reason at the moment. That's a huge concern seeing as we chose to keep our noses clean this transfer window just gone. Fortunately we have the likes of Kane, Poch, Sanchez, Foyth, Trippier, Davies, Dier, KWP, Winks, Dele & Son tied down to long term deals. A lot of first teams now bound to the club so potential damage if the club continues to be naive is limited.

All worst case scenarios granted but all have doors slightly ajar regarding areas of concern

Utter bs.
There are so many variables across so many seasons and runs of form that this is as insightful as a shape on the wall that is left from smashing a fly with a whip.

Everyone who has eyes and has seen more than two football matches in their life can see that in-form Toby (and he was in-form in WC) is a brilliant defender. The kind of defender that are rare finds in transfer market.

And I strongly oppose your agenda of "showing him" or "leaving him waiting until Christmas"... ffs, if we have any chance to make him settle down, buckle up and work for the team, we should use it (ofc if there is no chance or the solution would be too expensive/difficult/harming, then it is different case and then we should let him leave). But leaving him unsettled in the squad might only serve a purpose of your messed up mind's "revenge" policy, but for Tottenham Hotspur as a football team - we need all the best players to play the best football to achieve best possible results. End of.

Back
Top Bottom