Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I still think Toby is our best CB, I can't remember too many games when he had a terrible bad game (that's saying something with our defence this season).

Must be a rift with Jose, which I find strange because I'm pretty sure he would have been off had Jose not joined the club. I admit the new 150k a week contract he was offered probably helped make his decision but that probably wasn't on the table had Jose not joined?

I'm struggling to think of goals we conceded because of a Toby mistake but he has had such an unlucky season with deflections and balls going through his legs.
I really don't get why JM is seemingly popping him out.

I'm struggling to think of goals we conceded because of a Toby mistake but he has had such an unlucky season with deflections and balls going through his legs.
I really don't get why JM is seemingly popping him out.
Because you are Toby's biggest fanboy and totally unrealistic? Or because you don't watch matches?

He's been at fault for plenty.

Probably our most reliable centre half but we have also been a shambles defensively when he’s started so still needs replacing in the first 11

170403791_2835879149996090_5752921161917590675_n.jpg

Name 'em.
Why bother? I've given plenty of examples but you fanboys just ignore them.

Dav has yet to put in a performance as bad as Toby did against Villa last season. At fault for 2 goals and took an absolute raping off Grealish.

But hey, good will and all that...

Why bother? I've given plenty of examples but you fanboys just ignore them.

Dav has yet to put in a performance as bad as Toby did against Villa last season. At fault for 2 goals and took an absolute raping off Grealish.

But hey, good will and all that...
And this season?

Toby may have lost a yard but he is a smart cookie in defense. IMO he should be paired up with either Rodon or Japhet for the remainder of the season. Or even both if formation dictates it.

Then re-assess in break.
You football manager types - really funny. You have absolutely no idea. Ah fuck it - I can’t be bothered.

"Despite his restoration to the team last season there was every expectation that Tottenham would lose the Belgian in the summer transfer window as soon as the clause in his contract became active. That clause, triggered by Spurs extending the centre-back's contract by a year, meant that until the final two weeks of the 2019 summer transfer window any club offering £25m for his services would have their bid accepted. A done deal surely?

The player, his representatives and Tottenham watched the clause period open and they waited....and waited...and they waited until it closed without a single bid matching that relatively low release figure.

For a player often considered to be one of the best defenders the Premier League has to offer, for not one club - many with defensive problems - to want to seal a bargain £25m signing is mind-boggling on the face of it. Alderweireld, who has been capped 92 times by Belgium, could fit into any team in the Premier League or Champions League with relative ease.

When you look at the money splashed around on £80m Harry Maguire or even the £26.5m to take Tryone Mings to Aston Villa, it's hard to understand why Alderweireld was left on the shelf in the transfer market. Only Roma came forward with any real interest and the Serie A side had no interest in bidding anywhere near the £25m required for a Rolls Royce of a player."

You are right. The problem is the player and the fact that he is a difficult charachter.

It can never be our manager, as well know he is without faults and basically has a flawless character.

Teflon Jose -nothing sticks.

Last edited:
Toby may have lost a yard but he is a smart cookie in defense. IMO he should be paired up with either Rodon or Japhet for the remainder of the season. Or even both if formation dictates it.

Then re-assess in break.
It’s not just his defense. He is BY FAR our best passer at CB. He’s always been one of the best in the PL at that and I see no reason why that should change no matter how old he gets. Let’s face it, our other CBs are just hoofers.

You are right. The problem is the player and teh fact that he is a difficult charachter.

It can never be our manager, as well know he is without faults and basically has a flawless character.

Teflon Jose -nothing sticks.
Fell out with Poch by all accounts, too.

Odd situation, tho - I’d like to think it’s about pace or tactical pairing but our defence is so poor it couldn’t possibly be tactical to play Dav over Toby...

Fell out with Poch by all accounts, too.

Odd situation, tho - I’d like to think it’s about pace or tactical pairing but our defence is so poor it couldn’t possibly be tactical to play Dav over Toby...
If we are looking at the pattern here, I think we could build an argument for Jose too. The list of players he fell out with at united and Spurs is long like a bad year..

Still out best ball playing defender. Not sure if he ever had electric pace so she isn’t a big issue. Good in the oppo pen box if we ever get a corner kick to beat the first man. Plus there are plenty of older players playing at CB. Is Jonny Evans better than Toby? He must be about 50.

Back
Top Bottom