Tottenham Hotspur B - Checkatrade Trophy 2017-2018 - The Road to Wembley

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

...and CL dropouts have no place in the Europa League knockout stages IMHO.
Wouldn't stop me from supporting Spurs if we DID find ourselves in that situation later this season.

Until we get to decide who plays in what competition... I'll just support the club in whatever Cup we're represented in!
It's not the same in my opinion. These are clubs that have precious little to ever celebrate, unless they are in a play-off they will never, ever go to Wembly, never be in any kind of major final. It's massive for them, beyond what you can imagine. We shouldn't have any part of it.

And no, I'll be far from ecstatic if we draw or lose, that would be mental. Just utterly unbothered, and hoping that along with all the other 1st and 2nd Div B teams, we don't progress.

Like I say, I hope we play well and draw or lose to the odd goal, so we can get on with winning the U23 League

Posted this in the youth thread but figure this is a good place to drop it too. Quick highlights from the game. Below average quality on the vid but wanted to have something for people to see.

What good has the loan system ever done for us? Made Rose and Townsend look better than they were compared to the unfashionable players around them..only for them to get played ahead of the likes of Lamela, BAE and others to rot as they derbed around and ruined out season. Even when GDS did well on loan scoring and assisting for fun Harry didn't play him (and he turned into a superstar). BAE and Carroll are having terrible reviews with QPR. KPB did a GDS where he went on loan to Germany, we sold him for peanuts and he went onto be a superstar.

I want what best for the players. The loan system has been a disaster IMO. Players have had horrific injuries, they are so stretched far and wide it's hard to keep up with them and it becomes a chore looking them up.

I can't understand the backlash against it for footballing reasons. It far outweighs the big bad machine aspect of it when it comes to our current situation.

We lost Berbatov and the mancs gave us a joke of a fricken striker on loan...it's taken the piss if anything.
mental how selfish this makes you sound. Completely disregarding the lower league clubs and their players and looking out for number 1. sigh.

lol it's the fans of lower league clubs that explained what it would really meant to them. I'm patronizing no-one here. Genuinely don't have a clue what you mean by that next question... obviously I wouldn't stop supporting them.

couldn't give a fuck tbh. Goes against a lot of what I believe in myself so the last thing on my mind is thinking about how much they'd enjoy it.

Orient and Swindon as just as close to a B team for us anyway, so make little difference expect the history stays intact :)

Is that true? You can speak for the players? They would rather play a team half the country don't know the name of than Tottenham b?

And fuck the clubs is you putting words in my mouth. Nobody is claiming loaning players from the prem is an unfair advantage. Look at QPR, they thought their loan signings were gash.

It's not like the first team are playing them.

The loan system is not working.
I imagine he can speak for the players, given he has quite clearly outlined his close relationship with a non-league club and its players.

Why does playing Tottenham B make a difference to them than playing Slough or Blyth Spartans? This is non-league football. A completely different kettle of fish. Almost a different sport in many aspects. They don't give a flying fuck about Premier League sides.

That's a ridiculous thing to say. Loaning players is unfair? Not really, as anyone can loan a player. There's no rule to say League 2 teams can't loan Championship players. If anything is unfair, it's that some teams are bankrolled by rich owners. FFP and the Football League are putting measures in place to limit this.

The loan system does work, just not necessarily for some of our players recently. There are plenty of success stories - you just choose not to mention them.

OK Mr one liner. Like twitter all up in this bitch. Lets break it down. It's terrible because "money".

Money isn't going away in football, and neither are small clubs.
'Mr. One Liner'. I like that. Not quite the 'Six Million Dollar Man' but goddamit I'm not gonna turn down an nickname as badass as that.

1751754-ted_dibiase.jpg

I disagree with the negativity about PL B teams being involved. I think it does add some interest and another dimension to the competition. It's good experience for players on both sides and gives fans a different experience. I'm looking forward to these games.

This is great experience for our young players so nothing but a positive for our development. It adds a new dimension to a tournament that already had pitiful support. It's only two teams who will get to Wembley and it's unlikely to be the B teams. People against us being in this tournament have well meaning principles but ones that are a little misplaced for me.

Good to see our players enjoy the experience. Shame that we didn't get more following them which would also have been good for the lower league team. AFC Wimbledon away next and that's an undercover terrace for away fans. Be great to get a decent vocal following for our boys. COYS.

Back
Top Bottom