Tottenham Hotspur FC - Man City Mercenaries

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Said it several times and I'll say it again, Rose is not a strong point but he's made to look worse by having no help on the left side at the moment. As @ SinghYid SinghYid said, it's remarkable we've gone into the season with one senior left back and a remarkable dearth in talent between our left and right wings. Left wing is the one spot that if it were to be addressed would impact our side the most.

It's almost eye-watering watching some of the club's decisions implode in front of us. No CDM against a midfield of that quality and in lieu of a barely 19 year old who was training with the kids as of three months ago, while he doesn't even have a true winger on one side to support. You've got to be fucking kidding me.

1 example from spurs' best defender of the last 30 years and a dozen from maldini's 30 year career doesn't really prove much, neither were continually reckless in the way rose was jumping into tackles last night.
I agree Rose was a little reckless, mate but at least he was showing some desire and spark in a sea of utter shitness and impotence - as mentioned already - this was bound to happen while Vlad and Dawson allowed yet again their strikers to go 1-v-1 with Hugo - it looked like a training game at times, ffs. Just about everyone played poorly, imv

Capoue really made a difference....
We were one goal down when he came on.

double-facepalm.jpg

I agree Rose was a little reckless, mate but at least he was showing some desire and spark in a sea of utter shitness and impotence - as mentioned already - this was bound to happen while Vlad and Dawson allowed yet again their strikers to go 1-v-1 with Hugo - it looked like a training game at times, ffs. Just about everyone played poorly, imv

Agreed, the centerbacks were very poor today. The score could've been a lot worse as Dzeko beat Dawson to just about every ball in the box with a yard to spare each time. Dawson was also too busy trying to throw someone to the ground instead of holding his position in the center of the box, and therefore could've closed on whoever took the strike that led to Kompany deflecting in the fifth goal. Rose is not the individual to blame in this one.

1 example from spurs' best defender of the last 30 years and a dozen from maldini's 30 year career doesn't really prove much, neither were continually reckless in the way rose was jumping into tackles last night.

It proves that the statement "good defenders stay on their feet to tackle" is nonsense

I never said a word about Rose

It proves that the statement "good defenders stay on their feet to tackle" is nonsense

Using extremes to justify your point again I see.

Ledley King, a central defender, had something like single digit yellow cards in his career (few hundred games at least). If you think "not staying on his feet" was the reason for this then you are deluded.

That's actually not true, amigo. Those are extravagant examples of extravagant players making plays that people have saved on youtube for a reason. But defenders are taught from the age they can mentally comprehend to stay in front of their goal that they should only have to go to ground if it's in desperation if they're doing their job correctly.

Ledley King, a central defender, had something like single digit yellow cards in his career (few hundred games at least). If you think "not staying on his feet" was the reason for this then you are deluded.

I think that the statement "good defenders stay on their feet to tackle" is nonsense

That's actually not true, amigo. Those are extravagant examples of extravagant players making plays that people have saved on youtube for a reason. But defenders are taught from the age they can mentally comprehend to stay in front of their goal that they should only have to go to ground if it's in desperation if they're doing their job correctly.

Maldini didnt stay on his feet to tackle
Neither did King
Neither did Nesta

Neither did any of the great defender's. When they had to, they slid in.....if they didnt, they would have been rather shit at their jobs.

Its about timing the tackle, and great defender's do that well.

Nothing to do with standing up.

Neither did King
Neither did Nesta

Neither did any of the great defender's. When they had to, they slid in.....if they didnt, they would have been rather shit at their jobs.

This debate is just a matter of misinterpretation. No one is saying that good defenders always stay on their feet, but they are trained from very young ages to always look to do so and to only make the decision to go down when they are desperate or when they know you have cover. Every defender to have ever played the game has made a multitude of slide tackles, but all we're saying is that the phrase "good defenders stay on their feet to tackle" is a general rule that all defenders are taught and abide by. It is no extreme saying "never go down."

This debate is just a matter of misinterpretation. No one is saying that good defenders always stay on their feet, but they are trained from very young ages to always look to do so and to only make the decision to go down when they are desperate or when they know you have cover. Every defender to have ever played the game has made a multitude of slide tackles, but all we're saying is that the phrase "good defenders stay on their feet to tackle" is a general rule that all defenders are taught. It is no extreme saying "never go down."

I think the point is that the truly great defenders don't leave themselves in a position where they need to slide tackle too often because they either cut out the danger before it gets that far or they are tight to their men. Of course they will also be proficient at performing slide tackles that are well timed and fair.
This is a stupid argument anyway

I think the point is that the truly great defenders don't leave themselves in a position where they need to slide tackle too often because they either cut out the danger before it gets that far or they are tight to their men. Of course they will also be proficient at performing slide tackles that are well timed and fair.
This is a stupid argument anyway

Exactly my point. And you're right, it is a silly argument. Is simply a miscommunication.

I think the point is that the truly great defenders don't leave themselves in a position where they need to slide tackle too often because they either cut out the danger before it gets that far or they are tight to their men.

If Blanchflower had said that, I would have agreed.....but he didnt. You can interpret "good defenders stay on their feet to tackle" as that.

I'll interpret it as what he actually said, and thats why I challenged it.

Hello Zin, how many points did you make this Gameweek?

Neither did King
Neither did Nesta

Maldini was very pretty

Back
Top Bottom