Tottenham Hotspur FC - Man City Mercenaries

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do we have to sell our souls to a billionaire playboy owner for us to be able to compete against the likes of City and Chelsea?
Is Daniel Levy the right chairman anymore to take us to that higher ground we have been longing for?

Last night was a bad result for us and I am now left wondering what we have to do in terms of taking the next step. Kept Bale and Modric and let the world know we are not a stepping stone club? How do you keep players like that without a mega rich sugar daddy backing the club and without champs league football?
With our new stadium due to be built in the next couple of years would Levy then think about selling? Will this make us lose our identity and dilute the history of the club if we can just go out like the like of City, Chelsea, PSG and Monaco and just collect the big name players and start winning big trophies?

Probably the best fullback in the world IMO...........Not that I disagree, Rose is a liability at times.

Oh good, two excellent examples. Note in both of those instances, he knew he had cover. Thus, he knew he could go down safely because he is a good defender.

Do we have to sell our souls to a billionaire playboy owner for us to be able to compete against the likes of City and Chelsea?
Is Daniel Levy the right chairman anymore to take us to that higher ground we have been longing for?

Last night was a bad result for us and I am now left wondering what we have to do in terms of taking the next step. Kept Bale and Modric and let the world know we are not a stepping stone club? How do you keep players like that without a mega rich sugar daddy backing the club and without champs league football?
With our new stadium due to be built in the next couple of years would Levy then think about selling? Will this make us lose our identity and dilute the history of the club if we can just go out like the like of City, Chelsea, PSG and Monaco and just collect the big name players and start winning big trophies?

Maybe I'm a romantic, but I'd honestly rather we maintain the current course and win the occasional trophy if it means keeping oil money away. It just brings so much poison.

Oh good, two excellent examples. Note in both of those instances, he knew he had cover. Thus, he knew he could go down safely because he is a good defender.

Agreed, but not to take away from what is an excellent sliding hook tackle. He can play on both sides as well (just like Naughton.........................................
1304618376_tumbleweed-gif.gif

Agreed, but not to take away from what is an excellent sliding hook tackle. He can play on both sides as well (just like Naughton.........................................
1304618376_tumbleweed-gif.gif

Oh I'm taking nothing away, Lahm is a top shelf world class player. World class players know exactly how and under what circumstances to make tackles like that, and he checked all the boxes in both of those instances.

Tim Sherwood talks about it being about winning individual battles on a football pitch not systems. Well, Man City won all their personal battles. Not only did they keep our attacking players in their pocket, they kept us in our own half whenever we countered. Did you see how quickly they closed us down and recycled the ball for another attack. It was relentless and embarrassing.

It's not the greatest feeling admitting to this but it comes down to them having much better players than us. We don't have any world class players in our team at the moment. We might scrape 4th spot but I doubt it. Liverpool look like a better team than us. Why? Because they kept Suarez. Their world class player. We sold ours and replaced him/them with players that aren't as good. It's not rocket science.

Using extremes to justify your point again I see.

Ledley King, a central defender, had something like single digit yellow cards in his career (few hundred games at least). If you think "not staying on his feet" was the reason for this then you are deluded.

How does Jan tackle here without going to ground?

Impossible.

Maybe I'm a romantic, but I'd honestly rather we maintain the current course and win the occasional trophy if it means keeping oil money away. It just brings so much poison.

I'm pretty much the same but many others are longing for much much more but we are still a long way off from being able to compete with the richer clubs.

Tim Sherwood talks about it being about winning individual battles on a football pitch not systems. Well, Man City won all their personal battles. Not only did they keep our attacking players in their pocket, they kept us in our own half whenever we countered. Did you see how quickly they closed us down and recycled the ball for another attack. It was relentless and embarrassing.

It's not the greatest feeling admitting to this but it comes down to them having much better players than us. We don't have any world class players in our team at the moment. We might scrape 4th spot but I doubt it. Liverpool look like a better team than us. Why? Because they kept Suarez. Their world class player. We sold ours and replaced him/them with players that aren't as good. It's not rocket science.
That is our transfer policy - we need to accept it and hope for unearthing another gem sooner rather than later or Timmy pulling a Whinger and having us play better than the sum of our parts for the lat 20-odd games - just like a top manager would do

Last edited:
I'm pretty much the same but many others are longing for much much more but we are still a long way off from being able to compete with the richer clubs.

Maybe they do, but it's just not worth it IMO. The news came out today that City had a net loss of 85 million pounds last year. That's just absolutely ridiculous, and almost twice the allowed amount for FFP. It's one thing if that money was going back into the economy, but it's saddled with the news they had a 15% increase in salaries to the players. No thanks, that's just disgusting policy to me. And all for City's new fans to have zero appreciation of what they've been handed. Whole thing just reeks.

That is our transfer policy - we need to accept it and hope for unearthing another gem sooner rather than later or Timmy pulling a Whinger and having us play better than the sum of our parts for the lat 20-odd games - just like a top manager woul do

Levy seems to think that the amount we have spent to add to a team of a certain quality is enough to make the top four the minimum goal. I don't agree.

Back
Top Bottom