Tottenham Hotspur FC - Man City Mercenaries

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's crazy, and we're going to be punished for a long time because of it. You can't afford to have weak areas of the team if your aiming for top four and we have two gaping holes in central defence and at left back.

I never predicted us to finish 4th this season but I certainly didn't expect this magnitude of embarrassing defeats. It's been a horrible season and theirs still a whole load of top four clubs to smash us silly for the rest of it.

I agree. This is not knee-jerk reaction after last night, because we lost to the champions.

But I think we will finish 6th behind Man U. Hopefully, we will then get a recognized manager in who can get the best out of our squad and attract better players (because TS isnt going to do that).

I'm pretty indifferent about the result. City are currently playing some of the most forceful attacking football I've ever seen, not to mention their Barca-esque ball retention. (On that note, City v Barca will be a great game).

That night at Middle Eastlands where Crouchy nodded home with 10 minutes to go seems so long ago now. City's resources have allowed them to fly off into the distance from us at a pace like a snail v concorde. We simply don't have the resources to compete.

In a few years we've gone from having a midfield containing Bale, Modric and van der Vaart to...well....what we have now. Two years of hapless management at boardroom and dugout when crunch time came to secure a lucrative Champions League spot has cost us majorly now in our fight to keep up with the big boys.

I'd take a year out of Europe and win the FA Cup or something. I need a romantic, Spursy cup run and trophy win against the odds.

I'm pretty indifferent about the result. City are currently playing some of the most forceful attacking football I've ever seen, not to mention their Barca-esque ball retention. (On that note, City v Barca will be a great game).

That night at Middle Eastlands where Crouchy nodded home with 10 minutes to go seems so long ago now. City's resources have allowed them to fly off into the distance from us at a pace like a snail v concorde. We simply don't have the resources to compete.

In a few years we've gone from having a midfield containing Bale, Modric and van der Vaart to...well....what we have now. Two years of hapless management at boardroom and dugout when crunch time came to secure a lucrative Champions League spot has cost us majorly now in our fight to keep up with the big boys.

I'd take a year out of Europe and win the FA Cup or something. I need a romantic, Spursy cup run and trophy win against the odds.

Agree 100%. We wont get in the top 4 imho, so I would rather finish 6th. I DO NOT want to be in the EL next season.

We were like rabbits caught in headlights for the first 20 minutes, but then we were similar to that against Swansea, then we came back into it. 11 v 11 in the second half who knows?

No, we didn't - had one decent set piece and that was it - we were outplayed continusouly

Nobody took the confederations cup seroiusly in spain. I don't know anyone who even watched it.@arlombardi @ cahspur cahspur

Sorry amigo, but whether you and your countrymen took it seriously or not has nothing to do with the fact that Spain fielded the same squad that's won the last two Euro Cups and World Cup, and Brazil ran riot on them. While it may yet be the weakest team of your lifetime, that's still a damn solid team, and we're lucky to have one of their starters.

Tim Sherwood talks about it being about winning individual battles on a football pitch not systems. Well, Man City won all their personal battles. Not only did they keep our attacking players in their pocket, they kept us in our own half whenever we countered. Did you see how quickly they closed us down and recycled the ball for another attack. It was relentless and embarrassing.

It's not the greatest feeling admitting to this but it comes down to them having much better players than us. We don't have any world class players in our team at the moment. We might scrape 4th spot but I doubt it. Liverpool look like a better team than us. Why? Because they kept Suarez. Their world class player. We sold ours and replaced him/them with players that aren't as good. It's not rocket science.

Absolutly correct when you say we lost individual battles, literally from back to front of our team we were out played. They were individulay more skillful, quicker, more agressive, passed better the list goes on. With time we had to prepare for this game there really should be no excuses. Other lesser teams have prepared well to play against them and have come away with something. Even teams that ended up loseing against them have come away boosted by their performance (e.g. Liverpool). We come away from another game having been battered and totally embarrassed.

IMO Dawson and Vlad are both better than Demichelis. Seeing Demichelis on the team sheet was my only glimmer of hope pre-game as I thought we would at least look to have Ade expose him, but instead Ade sat on the shoulder of Kompany all night, highlights our woeful preparation. Lloris is better than Hart (but since we have ditched the high line, he is now probably comparable with Hart and others. Playing the highline showed him off as something very different). As for keeping your best players……...we are not in that league, we have to sell as our global fan base doesn't generate enough income, our stadium size doesn't generate enough match day income, that leaves us having to sell players, something you will have to accept I am afraid.

But he didn't play a single game so we cannot use him for consideration

We lost Bale but brought in some top young talent of note including international starters

No, I think it's fairly obvious what I'm suggesting. Spain didn't care about the game and treated it like a friendly exhibition match. Brazil did care.
Hmmm, I'd disagree here - getting to a major final only to 'relax' is unlike them, seeing they've dominated just about every tournament in the last 6-7 years

Absolutly correct when you say we lost individual battles, literally from back to front of our team we were out played. They were individulay more skillful, quicker, more agressive, passed better the list goes on. With time we had to prepare for this game there really should be no excuses. Other lesser teams have prepared well to play against them and have come away with something. Even teams that ended up loseing against them have come away boosted by their performance (e.g. Liverpool). We come away from another game having been battered and totally embarrassed.

IMO Dawson and Vlad are both better than Demichelis. Seeing Demichelis on the team sheet was my only glimmer of hope pre-game as I thought we would at least look to have Ade expose him, but instead Ade sat on the shoulder of Kompany all night, highlights our woeful preparation. Lloris is better than Hart (but since we have ditched the high line, he is now probably comparable with Hart and others. Playing the highline showed him off as something very different). As for keeping your best players……...we are not in that league, we have to sell as our global fan base doesn't generate enough income, our stadium size doesn't generate enough match day income, that leaves us having to sell players, something you will have to accept I am afraid.
I agree with the exception that we are the 11th richest football club in the world and could compete if we were so inclined.

Back
Top Bottom