Tottenham Hotspur v Ajax, Champions League Semi-Final, Tue 30th April

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That’s because we where without Son or Kane and thus had no penetration, we where the better team after Sissoko came on for most of it but Llorente can’t play the forward role properly for us.

Get Son and Sissoko playing and even Kane and we will be many times better. Having good strikers and an actual CM makes a huge difference.
But Kane isn't going to play this season again is he and a decent CM should of been purchased at the start of the season.

Atleti have won the Europa League three times, and La Liga and the Copa Del Rey once apiece this decade. All whilst building a gleaming new stadium, and fending off perpetual rumors that some superclub is going to steal their Argentine genius manager. All while, as someone else mentioned, collecting less revenue than we do.

And by the way, they LOWERED ticket prices when they moved into their new stadium.

That club should be a model for us.
As pointed out, look up and read the financial shenanigans that have gone on there over the last 20 years and is still going on. Beacon of light my arse. You might want us emulating them but i don't thanks. Each to their own.

I'm honestly not as much of a lefty whack job as I probably seem on here, but the bootlicking of the capital class is never more plainly and fervently done as it is among sports fans, which I find truly bizarre.

Barca v Liverpool could have been 4, 5 or even 6-0.
Deluded dippers think they can do it like they did in Rome but won’t happen. 10% chance like saying 0% chance.

Levy will never lower the ticket prices it's about extracting maximum revenue to increase turnover/profit whilst transfer outlay remains minimal.
This stadium won't turn us into a city only big spending owners will do that the enic way is to have the club punching above it's weight but at the same time producing huge financial figures.

....Which then gets trfd straight in DLs personal retirement fund.

Amirite????

We are in the CL semi final, they are not.
Not this year no..but haven't they won la liga recently and been in the semis and final of the champions league on numerous occasions. But yes if only this season matters we are better, but surely doing these things on a regular basis shows progression

Morata's shite and their looking to off load Costa after his 8 game ban. As JohnH says their already out of the CL so it makes your arguement look shite.
Really...so this season they have not done as well. But what about the dozens of seasons before this one and the dozens probably after..are u confident we will keep getting to semis and finals and I also bet when they do sell costa they spend the money they get and then some..

Not this year no..but haven't they won la liga recently and been in the semis and final of the champions league on numerous occasions. But yes if only this season matters we are better, but surely doing these things on a regular basis shows progression
Whilst being up to their eyeballs in debt.

Does it have a consequence though? We could lose 10 out of 16 and come home with the CL trophy and third place potentially.
It has a consequence if we fail to take 2 points from our last two games and miss out on top 4

I can't see any scenario in which we win the CL I am afraid

You asked me about City. I answered...

You need to specifically define "compete" if you want any more from me cos as per my earlier post... 2/4 finishes above and just knocked them out of the CL.

Meanwhile i don't know enough about AMadrid's squad/finances to comment on their situation. What i do know is that they typically finish 3rd (financial par) and failed to get past richer rivals Real in the CL recently.

We stand to finishing above financial par for the 5th season in a row.

Btw.... U still haven't explained what "fucking around" constitutes prior to this season?

I sense you mean not spending money which was required for the stadium project.
There was a point when we qualified for champions league under Harry. Transfer fees were not that crazy and we needed a few additions nothing too crazy. So we bought Ryan Nelson and Louis saha.........i really believed after getting in the champions league that we would use the advantage in signing players that our rivals not in champs league could not...thus giving us a chance to maybe qualify the following year....it wouldn't of taken even 40 million..in fact nowhere near...what we did I thought was show no real interest in improving or taking what was an unbelievable opportunity especially with chelski and city starting there throwing around of money that has clearly inflated the market...

There was a point when we qualified for champions league under Harry. Transfer fees were not that crazy and we needed a few additions nothing too crazy. So we bought Ryan Nelson and Louis saha.........i really believed after getting in the champions league that we would use the advantage in signing players that our rivals not in champs league could not...thus giving us a chance to maybe qualify the following year....it wouldn't of taken even 40 million..in fact nowhere near...what we did I thought was show no real interest in improving or taking what was an unbelievable opportunity especially with chelski and city starting there throwing around of money that has clearly inflated the market...

Neither happened at the same time.

We signed van der Vaart when we got Champions League football. We never qualified for the Champions League ever again under Harry after that season.

We bought Nelson and Saha when we were "competing for a title" a year later - we ended up finishing top four that season after signing them but Chelsea winning the Champions League sadly put a halt to our progression from that season onwards.

Whilst being up to their eyeballs in debt.
Maybe yes...but my point was ambition. I don't mean we should spend 100 million on a player like city probably Will, but Leicester and wolves will be investing this summer. They manage to get some good players, I'm guessing they also pay good wages...do u not sometimes think why are we so cheap compared to most top 10 clubs...we are not palace or west ham we are supposed to be a big club, but we don't imo act like it and it's a little frustrating tbh

I honestly don't get any of the misery, gloom and negativity in our fan base right now - not even a tiny bit. We're in fucking dreamland to be at this stage. We're hitting 'the next level' season after season. If you're not enjoying the ride now, then you should stay well away from football.

We're not one of the 'Sky 5'. We don't have their financial clout. But look who's built a revolutionary training infrastructure: Tottenham Hotspur. Look who's built a revolutionary stadium: Tottenham Hotspur. Look who's got one of the hottest in-demand managers in World football: Tottenham Hotspur.

We're taking it to the 'Sky 5' and we're beating a lot of them despite our inferior resources. But those resources are being invested in and grown. We're getting to their level.

Next Wednesday we go into a CL semi-final second leg with a decent chance of competing for the Final. That alone is an almost ridiculous level of progression for this football club since Poch and Levy combined their talents to deliver real progress towards greatness for our Club.

And then there's the non-stop singling out of players for criticism and abuse. Now Dele is a target for some. What utter bullshit. The guy is young with a precocious talent that needs to be nurtured and protected. We sound like Goons when we slag him off. He's played a lower key role this season but put in some immense performances. That night at Dial Square's Islington campus will live long in the memory. But it's the hard graft that he's put in more recently that impresses me most.

If you can't get behind this squad and what they're achieving for Poch, for us and the name of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club, then you're a cunt in my book.

It would be no surprise that we were hoarding money for the new stadium, the wheels were already in motion back then when Harry was in charge. There is no way the stadium would of happened if we were not careful with our spending.

I am hoping now the project is finished (albeit with some serviceable debt) Levy is finally going to put his money where his mouth is and get Poch some quality signings 🤞

Last edited:
Neither happened at the same time.

We signed van der Vaart when we got Champions League football. We never qualified for the Champions League ever again under Harry after that season.

We bought Nelson and Saha when we were "competing for a title" a year later - we ended up finishing top four that season after signing them but Chelsea winning the Champions League sadly put a halt to our progression from that season onwards.
Fair point but still saha and Nelson when going for top 4 is a joke....

Back
Top Bottom