Tottenham Hotspur v Aston Villa (A) (16/02/20) (2pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fuck me!

Was stuck on a plane all day. Was supposed to arrive back to london just before kick off but ended up with a 6hr delay due to all the disruption. Checked my phone and saw yet another late winner. Must confess I was amazed we managed a win when I noticed dier started the game but I guess subbing him off helped!

Fucking glorious scenes. Now for another roaring european night under the lights at the best stadium in world football. COYS COYS COYYYYYYYYYS

That's not hate.... And it's not about the 'miss'.

His technique is poor and in turn predictable.
I understand that. But all i'm trying to say is in all the matches I've watched, this was the first time he's "missed" from the spot either from pks or penalties. Unless I am mistaken, which is quite possible. I think we're just spoiled from having always watched perhaps the greatest penalty taker in the league for a while.

The score coulda been ANYTHING today....
4-3 to them...
4-4 draw...
6-4 to us....

It could have been a proper old score scoreline, befitting an old school fixture!

So many chances missed.... but the all important ones scored! So fuck it...
Weekend saved....

Onto the European Cup.... (sorry, still got my 'Old School' head on!)
Jumpers for goal posts score line 10 -10 hmmm.

That's not hate.... And it's not about the 'miss'.

His technique is poor and in turn predictable.

I think it's just his run up. It works on most occasions.. and he hasn't not put the ball in the back of the net for us as a end result from any of his penalties (although he had a goal disallowed for stopping in the runup a couple of years ago, and his penalty was saved today before the rebound).

It may not work on some occasions, as he deliberately takes a slow run up and waits to see what direction the keeper is going in, as confirmed by Son himself in the post match interview. But that means that he doesn't always get as much power as needed in some penalties, especially if the keeper goes the right way.. so then it's all about the placement.

I understand that. But all i'm trying to say is in all the matches I've watched, this was the first time he's "missed" from the spot either from pks or penalties. Unless I am mistaken, which is quite possible. I think we're just spoiled from having always watched perhaps the greatest penalty taker in the league for a while.

What can I say...? You asked... I answered.

Aside from that:

"either from pks or penalties." - Huh???

index.php

giphy.gif

I think it's just his run up. It works on most occasions.. and he hasn't not put the ball in the back of the net for us as a end result from any of his penalties (although he had a goal disallowed for stopping in the runup a couple of years ago, and his penalty was saved today before the rebound).

It may not work on some occasions, as he deliberately takes a slow run up and waits to see what direction the keeper is going in, as confirmed by Son himself in the post match interview. But that means that he doesn't always get as much power as needed in some penalties, especially if the keeper goes the right way.. so then it's all about the placement.

Despite the intent in your post to defend him; what you've said amounts to what I said both during the game and in the above post....

His technique (of which his run-up is a part) is poor and in turn predictable.

Last edited:
What can I say...? You asked... I answered.

Aside from that:

"either from pks or penalties." - Huh???
Wasn't expecting an answer, nor was I trying to disagree with you. I was merely trying to clarify my point. And the pk or penalties thing.... I didn't know how else to word it haha. PKs = penalty won during the match, and penalties was referring to the penalties taken by both teams when the match isn't decided after extra time. I am a clueless American. I apologize.

Enjoyable game. We really should have had 6 or 7 but for poor finishing again. Our defending of set pieces was shocking but I have absolute faith in Jose to fix that by next season. Fair play Sonny superb finish under pressure at the end; got us the three points.
We are so close, I can see things coming together slowly. That Gedson looks like he has got something special as well.

Not a fan of his run up, I actually don't think a player should be allowed to do it, but I agree he is consistent.

Wasn't expecting an answer, nor was I trying to disagree with you. I was merely trying to clarify my point. And the pk or penalties thing.... I didn't know how else to word it haha. PKs = penalty won during the match, and penalties was referring to the penalties taken by both teams when the match isn't decided after extra time. I am a clueless American. I apologize.

No need to do that, fella. :)

Not a fan of his run up, I actually don't think a player should be allowed to do it, but I agree he is consistent.
Exactly what my point was. I was never trying to defend the aesthetics of his run up, but we all seem to be experts in football technique, trying to teach these elite players how to play.... Honestly, seeing Son use a more standard run up would add years to my life, but he gets it done more often than not which is more than we can say about a lot of players.

Back
Top Bottom