Tottenham Hotspur v Bayern Munich (01-10-19) (20:00)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

EFz5TBtW4AAE0EA.jpg:large

giphy.gif

No surprise there, we've been outplayed for most of this half honestly. We are sitting off and watching them pass it around the midfield and desperately throwing bodies in the way when they get close. There is no control to our game, as always.

Outplayed for most of this half? What are you watching...maybe the last ten mins but most of the half? Open those eyes

I think that playing the same midfield of Winks, Sissoko and Ndombele is a massive mistake. It is not balanced and we cannot manage transitions properly with it, none of those three have a natural defensive instinct and are always reacting to the opponents play rather than being preemptive. They run hard and try to make recovering challenges but I never feel secure defensively with that set up, it never feels like there is any real protection for our defenders. We are always chasing rather than doing a solid screening job like we used to.

Olympiacos were walking through our midfield with complete freedom as did almost all our other opponents, with the quality Bayern have in the centre we need to play sensibly. Put Dier in there, let him play as a third CB/CDM and lets try and play smart football on the break.

So far this season we are still trying to play the football from the Dembele era but it simply doesn’t work with the current lineup. We looked better against Southampton playing with 10 men rather than when we had 11, because we had to defend first and be solid and then look to use the spaces. We need to play like that more often as that is what suits us now. Trying to play fancy football with Sissoko in Dembele’s position and Winks as our Wanyama/Dier equivalent is just daft.

Negatives: Too numerous to list. There’s not enough room on the internet.

Positives: thanks to the gradual emptying of the stadium from about 65 minutes I made record time home. Left on the final whistle and walked through the door at 5 past midnight. Northbound train arrived at Northumberland park just as we managed to get onto the platform. Always look on the bright side of the silver lining as they say.

One thought I’d like to get out of my head and “verbalise”: I never want to see Aurier in a spurs shirt again.

Harry has to be managed properly and not carelessly flogged.

The game is in just 3 days time.

He also got clattered at the end of the game today iirc.

He's had numerous long-term injuries and now ambles around the front line like an old man.

Start son to drive the team's press and get them going and then have Harry in the wings.

It's vital we make CL again this season and build momentum in the prem.

Managing Harry - which includes not having him hinder us engaging full pressing mode - is key.

Anyone who thinks this is the same Harry is kidding themselves.

He's lost much of his intensity and cutting-edge.

Just too many injuries to that ankle imo.

Luckily his raw talent and instinct is still bringing him valuable goals for us.

I love the guy, but that doesn't prevent me being objective about his game.

Ridiculous post

I thought Harry was looking more like his old self

First name on the team sheet for me

It time to realise that tottenham is more than kane and that he does not need to play in every game. Kane is not messi or ronaldo.
As close as we will ever have, Poch is more than clever enough to realise that Kane should start tonight in a match of this calibre and importance, don't worry about that.

Last edited:
I’ve said it for 9 months, the balance of the team is wrong. Playing the midfield diamond with Winks as the most defensive midfielder just doesn’t work. It’s too easy to get to our goal and the distances between our players when we lose possession are too great. All we do is chase opponents once they’ve gone past, we don’t contain them at all.

I don’t understand how we can lose almost every match in 2019 with this system and the manager still doesn’t change it. We need to get Dier into the team and change our shape. We do not have the players to play this way.

Back
Top Bottom