Tottenham Hotspur V Chelsea

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

"In 2011 he spoke of his motivation to "promote the players' talent and nurture that ability". He said: "If you are a dictator, players will not be able to show their capabilities to the full. You have to free them and let them make their own choices during a game. I left Inter because I wanted the extra edge to fulfil my ambitions as a professional coach, so I took the risk to find my own job." Mention of dictators and stifling style felt pointed, the implication all too clear."

You know; this is true. Some people - mainly frightened Scum and Scum2 fans who desperately want AVB to fail - try to put AVB down by saying he is trying to be Mourinho, but that simply isn't true. There has been some influence there, of course, but AVB doesn't manage like Mourinho does. You can see that with Mata right now. AVB would get the best out of him, play to his strengths in a similar way to what we saw with Bale, and we are seeing with the development of other players in our team. An example of this is how Mata was managed by the two of them. Very different.

AVB is for real and is a genuine decent chap. I hope the day comes when Chelshit regret loosing AVB. At the moment, I feel JM doesn't want to be there at the scum, he knows he should be at Utd. He sold his Soul going back. W@nk€r! Sorry to swear.

its so hard to pick a starting 11

lloris
walker / verts / dawson / rose
dembele / paulhino
lamella / eriksen / sigurdson
soldado

Based on past weeks and who has been playing and winning together. 1 change.
I don't think he will want to upset the balance to much by playing chiriches, holtby, sandro or chadli from start.

If verts to LB / Then CD I don't know which from chiriches or kaboul
lamella and townsend throw up as well. lamella for me as wont effect balance.
And not a place for lennon or capoue if fit wow!

to be honest i would love to see holtby-eriksen-lamela behind soldado, with them all changing positions, it would trully be amazing

to be honest i would love to see holtby-eriksen-lamela behind soldado, with them all changing positions, it would trully be amazing

That kinda reminds me of (last season's) super trio of Oscar-Mata-Hazard.
The prospect does seem mouth-watering, but I think it is gonna be saved for another day.

I'm actually curious about what AVB believes their differences in man management are. I think for all their pragmatism both are very stubborn in their vision of what a winning team will look like, but given the pointed statement about "dictatorial styles", is AVB perhaps a little more gentle/nurturing with players, after attempting an authoritative stance at Chelsea that failed miserably when it started stirring the feathers of their actual leaders? (It helps that our seniors in Dawson, Friedel etc are absolute gents compared to Terry and Co.).

You see him chatting warmly with other managers before games, whereas Mourinho prefers to maintain his semi-mysterious, hyper-competitive aura. I think by nature AVB is a thoughtful person, a prodigious academic - and a personable (and rather cheeky) one to be sure, but not one given to an outsized charisma or endowed with a natural aura of command and fear like SAF. A dictatorial style fits awkwardly on him, like an ill-sized suit, so I'm glad he seems to have relaxed and settled into his natural personality with us even if it's not the stereotypical "leader's" personality.

@ ArtyB ArtyB ... great article! Thanks for sharing it.

In these past couple of days I felt that I have learned so much about AVB and his character.

Since day 1 of his appointment, I have fully supported him.
I think it was a personal (though a parasocial-ish) relationship that I developed with him because it was my first time to see out a manger's term from the beginning, since I am a rather new THFC supporter.

The more I hear him speak, the more I read about him ... enlightens me all the time.
Great person to look up to even in a general (non-footballing) sense.

I just hope we make some THFC history with him. Whether he intends to stay with us for a while or not, is another question. But in the meantime, I have great aspirations of what he can achieve here (something that hopefully includes this Saturday).

:coys::avblol:

Last edited:
Found this quite satisfactory ...
Of the major leagues in Europe we are first in number of shots conceded per game (7.8)
We are doing this while committing the second fewest fouls per game (behind Cardiff).

On the attacking side, we stand second in number of shots attempted per game [21 (and quite a ways behind Dortmund)] and tied 8th in shots on target per game (6.8).

http://www.whoscored.com/Statistics

That kinda reminds me of (last season's) super trio of Oscar-Mata-Hazard.
The prospect does seem mouth-watering, but I think it is gonna be saved for another day.

unfortunately i tend to agree with you, but it would be good to see avb change things up just a little. Those 3 at the moment are doing everything for us in terms of creativity, would love to see them get a shot together.

Of the major leagues in Europe we are first in number of shots conceded per game (7.8)
We are doing this while committing the second fewest fouls per game (behind Cardiff).

On the attacking side, we stand second in number of shots attempted per game [21 (and quite a ways behind Dortmund)] and tied 8th in shots on target per game (6.8).

I find it interesting that the Bundesliga teams dominate the 'most dribbles per game' leaderboard.

Chelsea 3rd, bore 0-0 on Saturday so!

AVB is for real and is a genuine decent chap. I hope the day comes when Chelshit regret loosing AVB. At the moment, I feel JM doesn't want to be there at the scum, he knows he should be at Utd. He sold his Soul going back. W@nk€r! Sorry to swear.

I think the most commonly used word on this board is 'cunt.' Apologising for swearing is a little redundant at this point, but OK.

I would love to see us win. I suspect that we may nick it, but that they'll go with the fabled 4-6-0.

Prediction of the nerviest 0-0 of all time.

We can afford to lose this but Chelsea 2 points adrift with recent loses and a bore draw against a weak man u, can't really. Love that.
Nil nil would be a good result for both sides. If I was neutral I'd predict that but in not so 2-1.

White Hart Lane - Saturday 28th September 2013 - 12:45 BST.

I just want the team to fuck these cunts up and for AVB to own Mourinho like this:
avb-push.gif
Understandable! If you look closely, LM, is going for one of AVB's Jucie Fruits in his top pocket!

Back
Top Bottom