Tottenham Hotspur v. LASK || Europa League Group Stage 03.12.2020

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm not a big Mourinho fan and I'm not sure if how we played yesterday is a Mourinho tactics or the players being lazy or thick.

That midfield was set up for possession. Still the defence bypassed the midfield every time. Was this tactics? Or was the midfield lazy and didn't make them selves available to pass. I'm not sure, and I won't re-watch that shitshow to try to figure it out.

Last week we pressed the shit out of Ludogorets, yesterday we backed off and didn't press at all. Tactics or lazy players?

Why not go for the hard pressing tactics from last week?

Just musing over last nights shitshow and wondering if maybe there is still a hangover amongst some of the players about these “lesser” competitions from Poch’s time? I would have thought Jose would have eradicated any lack of interest in the cups but I can’t help but feel that it might in ingrained into some of them.
Poch openly admitted that the smaller cups were never a priority. It was top 4 & CL. This did rub off on some of the players as their displays in Carabao, FA & Europa showed from time to time.
A freezing Thursday night in Austria wasnt perhaps what any of them “fancied”.
I just can’t fathom a performance like that.
It was actually an entertaining game for a neutral. But we were pretty shite all over the park.

As the famous Beckenbauer quote goes "You could take all of them, put them in a bag and hit them with a stick. Whoever got hit would deserve it."

Just musing over last nights shitshow and wondering if maybe there is still a hangover amongst some of the players about these “lesser” competitions from Poch’s time? I would have thought Jose would have eradicated any lack of interest in the cups but I can’t help but feel that it might in ingrained into some of them.
Poch openly admitted that the smaller cups were never a priority. It was top 4 & CL. This did rub off on some of the players as their displays in Carabao, FA & Europa showed from time to time.
A freezing Thursday night in Austria wasnt perhaps what any of them “fancied”.
I just can’t fathom a performance like that.
It was actually an entertaining game for a neutral. But we were pretty shite all over the park.

Well... in all honesty, I do not believe there is one living soul in the whole wide world, who would take Europa League 100% seriously while sitting in 1st place in Premier League. No one that would be 100% into playing Austrian league 4th place as much as playing against Chelsea or Manchester City. I am not saying that everyone take it as a stroll in the park... but key is to find the players who are willing and able to put in like 95%.

In that sense playing already overused Hjojberg and to some extent Ndombele (who looked more tired against Chelsea after playing in EL as well than he did against Man City) was a mistake I believe. Lo Celso has played less, he is more hungry. Winksy has recently played only in EL and I would have honestly preferred him to be starting there.

I truly believe that at least to earlier stage EL games it is needed to find the balance between quality and eagerness to play there.
Yesterday I watched the game for 20 minutes and saw 0 eagerness. Lucky for me I had my own training coming up anyway :D

That's not how it works. Half the CL dropouts go in the pot with the EL group stage winners and half go in the pot with the second place teams. Thursday is NOT one we "need" to win. I hate it when people talk about nice to win games like they are must wins. We have already advanced in the competition. If we win, that's great! We might (emphasis on might) get a slightly easier matchup in the round of 32. But we could get a CL dropout no matter which pot we end up in. The Woolwich and Palace games are much, much, MUCH more important than this EL game to determine whether we are pot 1 or pot 2.

Don't disagree Woolwich is important. Also didn't say Thursday was as important as league games. Simply said I think Jose will go stronger then he did yesterday. No it's not must win, did not say that. But it's one Jose will want to win and make sure of.

Why does it have to be one or the other?
I genuinely don’t care that we flew to Mars in the middle of winter, in the middle of the week, in front of an empty stadium, in the middle of a pandemic, and drew to qualify while some players weren’t overly up for it.

Anyone who thinks Jose is negative, and wins stuff but it’s not good enough because of boring tactics and blaaaaah blaaaaaah blaaaaaah then please, blame yourself for the disappointment you suffered in not seeing us win 8-0 in a total domination display of epic proportions in an EL group game with a second string that we only needed to draw.

You expect crap, then get shocked when it’s crap.
And when it’s good, it doesn’t count “because Havertz”

Joe Hart really channelled his inner Paul Robinson tonight, so fucking heavy on his feet, we were pretty fucking shit, but he threw all three of their goals in our net. The second was diabolical particularly.
Not Sissoko’s fault then as you said on the Match thread?

Why are people questioning and over analysing GLC as to where he should play and so on. He was great for us last season. Games where his come on as sub this season his had an impact I think city, Burnley and wba. Last two we 0-0 when he came on. Not saying he changed the course of the game but he certainly offers something. Everyone was slagging if ndombele last season and now his first name on the team sheet and last it was GLC. I rated both before we bought them and think they will be great spurs players in the typical spurs entertains and skilful players we have always had. In fact didn’t GLc do a great sliding tackle yday on some and so did ndombele. Both I think actually tackle more than sissoko! Quality players always help and they are both quality. Just need the manager to let them loose.

Back
Top Bottom