Tottenham Hotspur v Newcastle United

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Credit where its due ,Bentaleb was fantastic tonight. Being honest I wasn't happy when I saw him on the teamsheet yet again but happy to be wrong. COYS

I agree.

My problem with Sherwood is still this "holding midfielders don't exist" shit. It's the biggest load of bollocks I've ever heard, and game by game he's going against his theory.

Bentaleb was billed as the answer to having a holding midfielder - he isn't at all, the boy is a pivot or attacking midfielder.

I hope we can now move on from Sherwood holding ridiculous principles and picking players not on merit just to prove a point.

The thing is the whole no holding midfielders thing has been massively overblown.

1) Sherwood never said it. Ferdinand did. Sure they are probably somewhat on the same page but quoting Sherwood as "holding midfielders don't exist" is erroneous.

2) What Ferdinand said was, "I don’t like holding midfield players, I like players to understand that if one goes forward, the other one tucks in for them. I don’t want someone who just sits in front of the back four and doesn’t go anywhere, but that’s just my own personal view."
"‘Fernandinho’s scoring goals. Why? Because he’s a holding player? No. They’ve just got an understanding, “If he goes, he’ll hold, and if I go he’ll hold.

It's pretty clear they don't hate midfielders playing defensively just that they don't want a player sitting in front of the back four doing fuck all besides staying there. When Capoue is fit he has more in his locker and I do think Sherwood and company realize that.

3) It's pretty clear that Capoue is not fully fit at the moment. They said it on the podcast this week and I agree— he looks fat. Guy needs to get fit again and hopefully today was the first step. He had a great second half today.

And....

Z6l912l.gif

No matter what team we play against someone always says that *This person vs Dawson* is a nightmare show waiting to happen.

Im sure if even we played Leyton Orient, someone would say Dawson Vs Kevin Lisbie is a mis match.

Getting tedious.

What are the chances of Adebayor getting a rest and Soldado being given a chance to finally show everyone some of that clinical finishing we all know he's capable of?

Would like to see:
Lloris
Walker-Kaboul-Vertonghen-Rose
Bentaleb-Dembele
Lamela-Paulinho-Eriksen
Soldado

With Townsend for Lamela if he still isn't fit and Ade to come on and save the day if Soldado fails again.

No idea why Ade should be dropped as an experiment for Soldado..?

I do however think RS needs to be introduced into the games late on, so he at least has a chance to fight for his place back..

Last edited:
He has been, and still has something to offer us, but he shouldn't be captain (i.e. first name on the team sheet), he should be played on a form basis, and he hasn't been in form.

We have 3 very good, cultured, ball-playing centre backs - I don't see how Dawson can compete when all fit to be honest.

It is a squad game though and Daws might not be 1st choice for our best centre back pairing but he's an essential part of the team in my eyes.
A great fall back to use if we have injuries and though he will privately be frustrated at lack of games when all are fit.... will he snipe and cause bad morale? Will he be in the press demanding game time or a transfer?
I seem to remember loads of media talk a year or so ago about the problems of so many foreigners in a team (Newcastle I think) and how it can be easy for the team spirit to fragment and there be factions in the team... which will certainly not help, especially in a poor run of form.
Daws plays with his heart on his sleeve, he's Spurs through and through, fantastic ambassador in interviews after games. And despite a lot of stick from groups of fans in recent times (which thanks to all the media exposure is everywhere these days) he hasn't batted an eyelid
Not being privy to what goes on behind the scenes, I can only imagine him being an excellent team member, quick to help snuff out morale and squad issues, helping new players settle etc.

Mark Lawrenson is like the rest of the Media Whores, Chatting about Liverpool as if they are the best team this world has ever clapped eyes on.. While they all dribbling over Liverpool and how unbeatable they are, none of them have noticed that little old us are a mere 3 points behind them.. Now work that out, Liverpool are the best team in the world and we are average in all departments and have no cohesion..
Going by their logic Liverpool must be 25 to 30 points above us????

What are they all going to do when Liverpool have their rough patch, which they will..

Liverpool doesn't have a rough patch....the whole city's fucking rough.

If only I had any confidence that our manager could put together a run that would put us at least in the shake up
It would be just like Spurs to win the league this year, and releasing a DVD of the season that includes us getting battered up and down the country by every decent side, and scraping 1-0 away wins to secure the title.

First game under Sherwood I have genuinely enjoyed, well done Tim. Certainly not what I expected when I saw the team sheet.

There were plenty of problems, not least our relaxed defending and switching off for half the second half - but all in all I thought it was really good.

Bentalebs best game by a distance, no surprise with Capoue behind him.
Paulinho did well and I really enjoyed Dembele on the right.
Vertonghen and Kaboul at the back together...

Best game in ages

Back
Top Bottom