Tottenham Hotspur v Sunderland

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I though a lot of our players really stepped it up yesterday and there just seemed to be something different about us. Even naughton had one of his best games in a spurs shirt.
Holtby gave a hell of a lot of energy in the middle and you could see when he came off he was almost apologetically saying to AVB that he just couldn't give any more.
Our main problem is, as it has been since berbatov left, we still don't have a proper striker that bullies defences and opens them up. And can actually put the ball away 8-9 out of 10 times

I though a lot of our players really stepped it up yesterday and there just seemed to be something different about us. Even naughton had one of his best games in a spurs shirt.
Holtby gave a hell of a lot of energy in the middle and you could see when he came off he was almost apologetically saying to AVB that he just couldn't give any more.
Our main problem is, as it has been since berbatov left, we still don't have a proper striker that bullies defences and opens them up. And can actually put the ball away 8-9 out of 10 times
mick cooper:windy:

Agreed, he has to develop his game, but I think he has more to offer than Lennon, though Aaron played really well yesterday and long may it continue. There is room for both of them in the side and of course it's a squad game, etc.
He made a difference with his crossing after he came on yesterday, he is better than Lennon from this point of view. He is still too raw, far from the finished article, but he can become a great player. I'd like him to start on the left against Liverpool, that would probably give us an edge over them.

Here are the goals/assists stats for this season.

http://www.myfootballfacts.com/Tottenham_Hotspur_Players_Statistics_2013-14.html

Chadli is doing the best out of Lennon Townsend and him.

In the League, none are doing great. Looking at 'mid players', Paulinho is doing far better than any of them in the Prem.

Of course Lennon offers a lot of defensive work, but so do Paulinho and Chadli in their own ways. I know Paulinho isn't a winger BTW, but he's taken a lot of stick lately, and so I thought I'd mention his good qualities :)

Anyway of the three 'wingers' Chadli has contributed the most goals/assists this season. Doesn't mean he's the best of the three of course, I think Townsend is myself, but I can easily understand people thinking Lennon or indeed Chadli is the best.

Another mid with impressive goal/assist stats, compared to other of our mids is Holtby, and I hope he plays v Pool and West Ham. If that meant dropping Townsend I could see that, despite my high regard for Andros.

The Sunderland game showed that we are slowly coming together as a team. We played generally a lot better than the earlier games this season.We created plenty chances but just couldn't finish as per usual. I personally think its time get harry kane and ade involved in the team as they both offer more than defoe and I will go out on a limb here and say soldado as well currently.

I might be the only one, but I like Chadli - he offers a stability to our play that our other wide players don't.

When we play either Defoe or Soldado on their own we lack height and presence up front as well, we need someone who can at least try to challenge for balls in the air.

To have that ability and also be pretty neat in position and have the pace and skill to test fullbacks is very rare imo.

I like Chadli too, and think the fact he's come in for stick since like his first or second match is ridiculous. Was absolutely dominating in the air yesterday and probably should've scored as he won like 2 or 3 very good header shots lol

people get dazzled by Lennons pace but his end product has always been dodgy as fuck, for all his positive running what has he actually done since his return end product wise

So let me get this straight.

Chadli is preferred to Townsend and
Kaboul over Dawson.

Jesus wept. We really do have some special fans.

The Sunderland game showed that we are slowly coming together as a team. We played generally a lot better than the earlier games this season.We created plenty chances but just couldn't finish as per usual. I personally think its time get harry kane and ade involved in the team as they both offer more than defoe and I will go out on a limb here and say soldado as well currently.
Kane is injured and out for a while, otherwise I think he would have played quite a bit in recent games. Ade is permanently injured/unavailable, as all Spurs fans should know by now :)

I like Chadli too, and think the fact he's come in for stick since like his first or second match is ridiculous. Was absolutely dominating in the air yesterday and probably should've scored as he won like 2 or 3 very good header shots lol

people get dazzled by Lennons pace but his end product has always been dodgy as fuck, for all his positive running what has he actually done since his return end product wise
Hi MY good points. As you can see from the table Aaron lags way behind Townsend and Chadli in terms of goals/assists. As you say this lack of 'end product' is not a new phenomenon. Which is why I think Townsend has the potential to outstrip Lennon, though I stress Aaron played very well yesterday and deserves to start v Pool.

Kane is injured and out for a while, otherwise I think he would have played quite a bit in recent games. Ade is permanently injured/unavailable, as all Spurs fans should know by now :)
I do know that, back injury, but when he has played he has showed some promise. we dont need to go splash out huge money in janury for a striker if we start using him. Or perhaps sell defoe and ade and buy a young up and comer like Lukaku. imagine a spurs strike force or soldado, kane, lukaku. All great player and all very different.

liverpool is going to be a tough game mate they are the in form team with arguably the best player in the comp in suarez..dawson needs to get dropped for this game... backline needs to be walker, vlad, verts, rose..

suarez's pace and agility will kill him...

Everything you say here is indisputable, but there confidence rests solely in him. As a squad, I believe we can overcome a side that looks so much to one player. He's been scoring against very weak opposition as well, so I think this one is certainly well within our grasp.

have you watched him play at all? I come from a liverpool supporting family so have seen most of the pooll games this season.suarez truly is a 1 man team currently.

The scousers were playing well before he came back too, They are a very dangerous outfit with a much improved defense a very hardworking combative midfield and some very good attacking talents and the then best player in the league. Will be a very big test for us getting a result against them.

Pool are obviously a big test. If they don't have Gerrard on top of losing Sturridge, that makes our task easier.

Here's what happened in their last away game, when they had both Suarez and Gerrard in their team.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25074365

One of our loan players, Livermore, scored against them, and the winning team's defence hardly reads like a Who's Who of top class players, though that's not to knock them, as they obviously did a number on the 'mighty Reds' :)

Is Bruce (the son, not the manager) any better than Dawson, not that I know of.

Back
Top Bottom